First production Aztek on Ebay

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
DeClercq

First production Aztek on Ebay

Post by DeClercq »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-first ... 958wt_1182

Only 7,743 miles.

Bid now, auction ends Aug 5th!
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
ColonelPanic

Re: First production Aztek on Ebay

Post by ColonelPanic »

I saw that yesterday. For an Aztek, that sure is a nice one. It always seemed to be the type of vehicle that would be wonderful as long as you didn't have to look at it from the outside. Which really, I don't look at the outside much as I'm driving down the road. :lol:

Interesting to see the similarities between it and the Vibe in the cargo area. All the tiedowns, storage compartments, the same color plastics, etc... I see where the Vibe's utilitarian characteristics originated. :mrgreen:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

When I look at that pic, and I think about the Nissan Juke, it makes me think the Aztek was ahead of it's time. Seems to me just a few styling tweaks would have saved her rep.

Fortunately, the Nissan Cube came along so I don't think many people can say that the Aztek is the ugliest vehicle ever made.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I have to say in hindsight the later Azteks with the monochromatic paint scheme instead of the gray cladding was a substantial improvement. But like typical GM, it was too little too late.

The Cube and Juke are beyond hideous, particularly the latter. I'd take this old Aztek over a brand new one of those things any day :?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Derf

Post by Derf »

It amazes me how Pontiac had a great idea for a mid range SUV at a time when Suburbans, Expeditions, Navigators and other Land Yachts were selling like hot cakes. The Aztec offered versatility and functionality but missed its audience on styling. In 20 years it will be one of those cars that shows up in movies as "that cool retro car" The less functional Buick Rendezvous took the same footprint minus Pontiac styling and seemed to do well.

I think if they had offered the Aztec in a camo package, every hunter and angler would have gotten one.
Beer and bait in the front cooler, gear and game in the back. :D
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

That's pretty neat! I agree with ColonelPanic about the later models that had less of the gray cladding. There's someone around Sandwich that has a later model yellow one that is actually pretty darn sharp looking. I think the ideas for the Aztek were great, unfortunately the execution wasn't so hot.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage