My 1990 AWD Eclipse Turbo

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
cmpltvertigo

My 1990 AWD Eclipse Turbo

Post by cmpltvertigo »

Some pics of my other ride, 20 psi of boost daily driver:

Some information on the vehicle:
New Paint: Factory Maui Blue Metallic, PPG Paint - painted by Top Notch body and paint

Rebuilt 5 Speed Transmission - Rebuilt by West Loop Mitsubishi (New ACT 2100 clutch installed)

Engine: Ross Pistons and Rings// Eagle Rods// ARP Main and Head Studs// SS Valves// Evo Valve Springs and Retainers// 3G Lifters - Engine assembled by JMS Racing

Intake: Custom Ram-Air scoop // K&N filter with 2G MAS// ETS Street/Race Intercooler kit - installed by Noribilt

Exhaust: 2G ported manifold// Evo3 O2 Housing // 2 1/2" Buschur Down Pipe// 2 1/2" CAT// 3" Thermal Research cat-back

Fuel: Walbro 190lph pump// 550cc RC Injectors// Accel Thunder Spark Wires

Turbo: New EVO III turbo, ported by Noribilt, installed by Premier Motor Sports

Engine Management: UEGO Wide Band// SFAC-II - installed by JMS Racing

Suspension and Brakes: Dual Piston Brake Calipers// Eibach Sport Springs// Monroe Sport struts

Cooling: New aluminum radiator (Mishimoto), Spal 1250 CFM fans (best fans around IMO, come stock on some Ferraris)

Suspension and Wheels: 17" Enkei 5 Star wheels wrapped in new Talon tires less than 7K miles
cptnsolo77

Re: My 1990 AWD Eclipse Turbo

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Nice car ! You dont see cars of that era in such GREAT shape ! This is one of the cars that made me really appreciate japanese tech. In my opinion the best looking cars from japan has been the 90s eclipse, supra, MR2, 3000GT, RX7, NSX & 300ZX. For some reason japan just friggen NAILED IT !!! in the early 90s with their styling & performance. With the execption of the GTR it has been downhill since then ( to me )
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Awesome! I have to agree on the styling. For me it's the width. A low, wide car like this one or the 3000GT just looks fast. It also kills gas mileage (more wind resistance) which is probably why there's so few of them now.
Image  Image
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Looks like an eagle talon to me. :lol:
What's the inside looks like?
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
cmpltvertigo

Post by cmpltvertigo »

keithvibe wrote:Looks like an eagle talon to me. :lol:
What's the inside looks like?
Nice catch, everything on this car was designed for styling and purpose - for example the front bumper emblem on the eclipse is solid were in comparison the talon is a flow-thru grill that allows air to flow to the radiator for improved cooling ;)

I also incorporated a customed ram-air on the passenger side pop-up light that feeds cold air right to the CAI that sits behind the light assembly, will post pics of that later.
Rayven01 wrote:Awesome! I have to agree on the styling. For me it's the width. A low, wide car like this one or the 3000GT just looks fast.
thanks, I too prefer the look of the 1st GEN DSMs over the 2nd.
cptnsolo77 wrote:Nice car ! You dont see cars of that era in such GREAT shape ! This is one of the cars that made me really appreciate japanese tech. In my opinion the best looking cars from japan has been the 90s eclipse, supra, MR2, 3000GT, RX7, NSX & 300ZX. For some reason japan just friggen NAILED IT !!! in the early 90s with their styling & performance. With the execption of the GTR it has been downhill since then ( to me )
I'm with you, plenty of nice cars that came out of Japan in the 90s. I also had a Conquest TSI with the wide body design, RWD turbo and that car was fun to drive - it was plagued by some bad designs however so it did not stick around.
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Very nice indeed! I had a '91 Talon, sadly not a turbo. Would've loved to have kept it but at the time my insurance payment was almost as much as the car payment (I was only 19). Every once in a while I search on Cars.com to see what's out there. Would love to pick up another one but they're very rare, and I know my wife would have none of it :(

An old pic of her I found:
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
AllWheelVibe

Post by AllWheelVibe »

Wow that's a beautiful GSX sample!

My 2009 AWD Vibe replaced my 1995 Mitsu GSX AWD Eclipse. Now you made me miss that old GSX (again!) .
You're luck to have the best of both!
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

That is a very nice, well-done Eclipse! It's good to see there are still some DSM's of that era that haven't been killed, or riced beyond recognition. I've always been a fan of those AWD, turbocharged coupes. If I'd been able to find one for the right price, that probably would have been my first car... Kudos for having kept the exterior simple and functional, and for the engine work.

On a side note, are those Triangle TR-968's? If so, I'm running the same tires on my Vibe, albeit they're 225/45/R17s.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod