Columbus, OH Auto show - 3/16/13 - a report

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
jake75

Columbus, OH Auto show - 3/16/13 - a report

Post by jake75 »

As expected, Matrix again absent. The 2013 Rav-4 without the spare on the back appears to be a good value. But the controls are very much like the recent Vibes so a Rav-4 wouldn;t seem like a new car. I was impressed with the Ford Escape for the money. However, I am concerned that the 1.6 liter eco-tech engine can power a vehicle of that size over the long haul. Any opinions here? The 2014 Forrester seems a bit tight compared to the Honda CRV, Rav-4, Mazda CX5, Nissan Rogue. I figured out what I don't like about the Chevy Equinox & Buick Terrain - the center console makes the front seating area seem like a spaceship. Also - you can't get the Forrester without the sunroof and with the rear view camera. The lowest Rav-4 LE has the rear view camera. The Rav4, CRV, Nissan Rogue and Mada CX5 seemed comparable - with the Ford Explorer a consideration. I need to find out which has the least noise level. Maybe I need to move up to the Lexis or Acura. Hopefully I can delay any new car purchase for awhile.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
KITT222

Re: Columbus, OH Auto show - 3/16/13 - a report

Post by KITT222 »

Odd. They had the Matrix S in Minneapolis.

Are you in the market for a new crossover only? Or would you consider something similar in another class?

That 1.6L Ecoboost I have no doubts on, other than the many recalls it has had. But there is also the 2.0L turbo engine available on the Escape. Of those you list (Rogue, Rav4, CX5) I'd personally choose the CX5. Good price, good economy, and good value. IF you want something similar to the Vibe the Buick Encore was practically MADE to replace the Vibe. Similar features, tighter packaging, better economy.

Why not try an Outback or XV Crosstrek/Impreza?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

KITT222 wrote:IF you want something similar to the Vibe the Buick Encore was practically MADE to replace the Vibe. Similar features, tighter packaging, better economy.
If the size is OK, that might be a good candidate for jake75 as he mentioned cabin noise... It has that noise canceling trickery built the sound system standard. It's derived from the Sonic, which I can confirm first hand is eleventy thousand percent quieter than the Vibe ever was. It's unreal how peaceful that car is on the highway for a subcompact, something with the Buick emblem on it would likely be even better.

We liked the Escape, in basic form but even then it was out of our price range of what we were comfortable spending. All of the recalls didn't give us the warm fuzzies either. Ford can't seem to roll out a new model without countless recalls - more than a decade later, they're still repeating the same mistakes. That doesn't seem to deter buyers much, nor did it when the original Escape and Focus were released. :roll:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

From what I've read, the CX-5 is number#1 for handling and MPG and near the top for interior space. It would be at the top of my list for these reasons. Obviously, driving each vehicle is necessary to see how it fits the prospective new owner. And oh yea, the CX-5 makes nearly all the others look "old".
So, do I love the CX-5 - YES! But I am waiting for the CX-3, Mmmm, 50? mpg highway. Please Mazda no smiley face.
Chiadog
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Chiadog wrote:From what I've read, the CX-5 is number#1 for handling and MPG and near the top for interior space. It would be at the top of my list for these reasons. Obviously, driving each vehicle is necessary to see how it fits the prospective new owner. And oh yea, the CX-5 makes nearly all the others look "old".
So, do I love the CX-5 - YES! But I am waiting for the CX-3, Mmmm, 50? mpg highway. Please Mazda no smiley face.
Chiadog
I am hoping that my son's Caravan will run for awhile with those noisy lifers and I will not be faced with buying a new vehicle. But like a good Boy Scout, I want to be prepared. We also have the option of just using the T&C as our only vehicle, at least for awhile. No more than we drive the gas mileage isn't a major factor.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Jake, I appreciated your report from the Auto show. I have found the replacement for my 2004 Vibe after a long search. I bought a used 2013 Honda CRV EX-L with only 10000 miles on it from a dealer. It is a light mountain air blue with beige leather interior and there are just so many things I like about it! Owners on True Delta, Consumer REports and my mechanic validate it's reliability record. It has a 2.4 L engine yet gets nearly the same mileage as my Vibe. Everybody else is chasing the Honda safety and reliability record and only outdoes them on some styling. This CRV is a smooth, quiet ride, great handling and turning radius. Has backup camera and bluetooth, heated seats, lumbar support, sunroof, dual climate controls, great seat height and visibility, cabin room. Logical displays and controls. I did NOT get Navigation since Honda's nav pkg is not the best and I already have a new Garmin. I considered Prius V, Forrester, Escape, RAV-4, C-MAX, CX5, Rogue, Santa Fe and it took months to decide what was best for me. I paid only $23995.

So would I trade in my Vibe to the Dealership? NO WAY! Instead I found my beloved Vibe a new home with my friend's nephew. All i did was post a picture of the Vibe on FaceBook and said I was selling it. Got 2 emails, sent details and price - done. Kelly Blue book says Vibe owners rated it 9.1 out of 10 and I agree it has been my FAVORITE car so far!! The car salesman admitted they had a used Vibe 6 months ago and buyers were fighting over it. Thanks to all of you for the information and fun you have shared on this forum. It has helped me so much.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;