Honda Fit based Urban SUV is sharp!

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Chiadog

Honda Fit based Urban SUV is sharp!

Post by Chiadog »

I'm not a huge Honda fan, but this Urban SUV is sharp! Finally, an eye-catching design in a small vehicle. I hope they don't screw it up with an old-school 4 speed auto transmission and worst in class gas mileage, like the Fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkO7SA ... =endscreen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ColonelPanic

Re: Honda Fit based Urban SUV is sharp!

Post by ColonelPanic »

Kinda reminds me of a mix between CRV and Crossturd. Meh.

I'm with you, I hope they don't screw up the powertrain. But I suspect they'll throw some high revving for no apparent reason buzzbomb powertrain ala regular Fit 'cause urbanites like that or something. :x
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Looks alright, but not alright enough to make me want it as much as I'd want the 2014 Mazda3 hb.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Ugh, I'm against this thing just on principle. I already think the ton of SUVs people drive who should be driving hatches instead is ridiculous. There is no such thing as (legal) "sport" driving in a city, and the utility aspect is as good or better in a hatch with better mileage. If it weren't for the people who insist on driving these things we'd have all the cool European hatches over here to choose from!
Image  Image
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Rayven01 wrote:Ugh, I'm against this thing just on principle. I already think the ton of SUVs people drive who should be driving hatches instead is ridiculous. !
Hey Rayven01,
Would you still be against this "SUV" if it gets 40mpg highway?
As has been said here before, the line between SUV and Hatchback is fine and becoming finer! And that line currently IS the Vibe/Matrix. I often see the title "Toyota Matrix SUV" on car-based websites, KBB, cars.com, etc.
kostby

Post by kostby »

First reaction: Missing the 2 rear doors!
I guess you could call this the Cross-Fit or perhaps the Mis-Fit?

I find it fascinating just how much current Hyundai styling (which I like) seems to be 'influencing' (or perhaps 'contaminating' is a better term) many other styling studios: Ford small cars, and now this Honda. At least we're finally over the 1990's Bar of Soap period...

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Chiadog wrote:Would you still be against this "SUV" if it gets 40mpg highway?
Yes, because if it weren't so unnecessarily tall it would get 45-50 mpg. Aerodynamics will always win the mpg race (all other things being equal). Unless you're driving over curbs, you do not need that clearance in a city. The Vibe is perfect in that respect in my opinion; tall enough to handle potholes and speed bumps but low enough to get decent gas mileage.
Image  Image
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I didn't see any specs on height, etc. but the current Honda CRV is only 2.5 inches taller than the 03 Vibe and the new "Urban SUV" is supposed to be smaller than the current CRV. I am hopeful that Honda will put the latest tech drivetrain they can build into this little beauty, although that seems unlikely from Honda.
The Urban SUV is a four door BTW.
chiadog
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

The underbody drag on that thing with high ground clearance, blunt nose and no hint of a ground skirt to shape airflow up and over has got to be huge. It's scientific fact that if you lowered it and improved the skirting aerodynamics it would get better gas mileage. And this would in no way make it worse for city driving.

Granted this thing is not going to be a gas-guzzling typical SUV. I just resent the fact that companies are still pouring marketing money into things like this that don't meet the needs of the people driving them. Unfortunately a lot of the time people don't care about what they really need and just want what they want. It's human nature, but I can still b*tch about it. ;)
Image  Image
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I'm guessing (and hoping) that the FWD version will be lowered similar to the Vibe in the final production design. Even the all-wheel drive model will likely be lower than the "show car".
But, If you're still concerned about ride height:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/17/hond ... -montreal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I wish SUVs weren't the current "status symbol" car. Honestly, most SUVs are just way too big. My mom has a Mercury Mariner and I have yet to actually see her need its clearance or the interior height. She's even complained it gets awful mileage (18 mpg on a really good day).
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Rayven01 wrote:I already think the ton of SUVs people drive who should be driving hatches instead is ridiculous.
Amen. Give me a wagon or a hatch any day. The only thing that an SUV brings to the table is a higher seating position.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Glowing report on the 2015 Fit, Looks pretty good! Is this the next "Vibe"?
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hat ... rst_drive/
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Chiadog wrote:Glowing report on the 2015 Fit, Looks pretty good! Is this the next "Vibe"?
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hat ... rst_drive/
Certainly looks interesting - but don't forget, other companies may also have some great innovations for 2015.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."