Got a new toy, a 1993 Subaru Impreza

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
journeyforce

Got a new toy, a 1993 Subaru Impreza

Post by journeyforce »

So I got a new toy from Creigslist: A 1993 Subaru Impreza with the 1.8l 112,745 miles on it. I got it for $900. It looks good for its age and will make a good commuter car. It makes a cheap ABS/Airbag?AWD winter beater car. It has a few issues

1. Pass fender was replaced and the replacement was one of those black primered jobs that was never painted and is rusting. (But I will ether look for a replacement fender in that same color or get a good looking one of a different color and have it painted) Or i may just leave it

2. drivers side corner light has a crack on it(still very functional and will replace whenever)

3. Rear view mirror is loose(will tighten up or replace from a junk yard)

4. Belt molding(that rubber strip that attaches to the middle of the door) is missing on the drivers side and damaged on the passenger side(Subaru and GM have issues with those plastic white clips that hold the belt molding cracking and breaking off due to vibration and heat/cold cycles. I may remove them all and fill the holes as it looks more streamlined that way

5. Needs a new battery, it starts up but owner says if left a week or so it will be dead(the battery is old) (battery bought and awaiting placement in car)

6. Needs gas cap door(ether junk yard or a locking cap

Here are some of the sellers pics, more pics when I get it home

It has some dents and wear and tear but it be 20 years old and roamed the roads of Baltimore/Silver Spring and the Beltway

Other then that, it is good condition and nothing prevents me from driving it right a way after tagging it

MrHatchWagon

Re: Got a new toy, a 1993 Subaru Impreza

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Nice beater, I bet it'll be a blast in the snow. Auto or manual?

I drove an 03 Legacy wagon with an auto trans for about a week last winter, and I had my fun going through snowy turns.

Looks to be in very good shape for the price, and the 1.8 is supposed to be a pretty durable engine. They had problems with head gaskets on the 2.5's. That would be my kind of beater if I was looking for a winter car.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Looks great, can't wait to see how it looks when it's all fixed up! $500 sounds like a steal.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

CONGRAT'S, You got a steal!, Even if it does look like an AMC Pacer :lol:
chiadog
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Sorry for the delay but the rain put a crimp in picture taking.

Here are some down and dirty pics of the car. I emphasize dirty as the interior is one of the most dingy and dirty interiors I have ever been in :o The former owner had dogs and it has a lot of dog hair in it and dog stickers

The rear seat is nasty looking and is covered with a blanket

The good news is that when I get around to it I will get it detailed and it will look good. Everything works(lights/gauges etc) The only issue it has is the selector for the heat/cold does not go to max heat but only a little bit under max heat. It seems to be binding so when I change the console I will see where it is binding(I might have caused this issue when I put the radio in The HVAC/Center Vent was painted red for some reason, so I got one from the junk yard that is black. Even though the interior is tan, I think the black HVAC bezel makes a good contrast and matches the cluster and steering wheel.

The car I got the bezel from also had the rare center console with the arm rest/compartment that was an option in 93-97. I bought the entire center console for $20 and will install it this weekend. It is all black but will match the HAVC bezel, cluster and steering wheel while tastefully contrasting the tan interior.

The gas cap cover is purple but was the only one available and since it is a beater it is fine. The 93-94 were locking caps that were opened by a button near the driver's seat. The 95-2001 were opened by the tab on the gas door and were not locking

The trim for the doors and fenders are damaged or missing but I have replacements waiting for a nice day

Here are some pics

The parts for the optional center console in the cargo hold waiting to be installed

The blanket tucked in to cover the nasty rear seat bottom

The primered and now rusting fender. I plan on getting a good one from a junk yard ether in the same color(the best option) or a different color and having it painted rather then screw with the rusting current fender

Messed up trim due to be replaced