Cruze Diesel

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
ColonelPanic

Cruze Diesel

Post by ColonelPanic »

I have been waiting for news of this car here in the States. I was hoping for an extremely fuel efficient and inexpensive diesel option that isn't a VW... Now that it is here, it seems to be quite a disappointment. At $26,000+ after destination - and expensive disappointment.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/07/2014 ... or-25-695/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The power looks great... 148 HP/258 lb-ft (up to 280 with the overboost function.) Fuel economy? Not so much at 42 MPG. Unless the thing really brings in good numbers in the city, I'm not sure what the point of this car is. Except for maybe if you need to pull out some tree stumps with all that torque. 8-)

I believe I would rather take a hit in power and opt for a Cruze Eco or Dart Aero which have somewhat similar EPA estimates. And keep a few thousand bucks in my pocket.. I can buy a couple years worth of gas for the difference in price...

Meh. Your thoughts?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Rayven01

Re: Cruze Diesel

Post by Rayven01 »

European countries, Germany in particular, pretty much have a lock on diesel engine production. Chevy's engine is a German import. We won't see cheap diesel cars anytime soon until that changes.
Image  Image
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The EPA numbers for Diesels are way off. The Golf, Jetta, and Passat Diesels all have EPA estimates of 40mpg. Many real world drivers get around 50mpg.

So don't let the numbers get you down too much, wait for the real world tests.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That is true, SeattleJeremy. Better chance of beating EPA with an oil burner while it's more difficult to meet those ratings with a gas engine. I'll be watching Fuelly stats. ;)

They really need to offer a cheaper model without leather and all that, perhaps that would be helpful for offsetting the cost of the engine.

Image Image
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Yup, need the 2LT trim to get the diesel option. Still... at least you won't have to deal with Volkswagen 'reliability'! I wonder if GM Canada will have the diesel option on lower trim levels.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

You can't exactly look at Cruze TD as a standalone. Compare it to its competition - Jetta TDI. More power, more equipment, for a lower price (base TDI is $1500 cheaper than Cruze TD, which is 2LT spec with leather and nav). Diesels easily get over EPA once they have some miles on them, and they will last an incredibly long time. I'm very interested in Cruze TD. I'd like to see a manual option, though... And more basic options, too. Give us the hatch or wagon version, and I'll do irrational things to get that car.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The problem I see is while historically diesel fuel has been a little less than gasoline, for the past several years diesel fuel has been significantly more expensive than gasoline thereby mostly negating the advantage of higher mpg.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

No manual? Fail.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

$27,000, auto only, urea tank, Why is GM trying to NOT sell this car? And Oh Yea, Americans won't buy hatchbacks! Maybe Chrysler will put a diesel in the soon?-to-be here Chrysler 100.
http://blogs.automotive.com/spied-2014- ... 00055.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chiadog
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Anything new diesel is a waste, you can't even burn fry oil in them any more. Plus you have to carry a bucket of pee with you now. eww
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Chiadog wrote:$27,000, auto only, urea tank, Why is GM trying to NOT sell this car? And Oh Yea, Americans won't buy hatchbacks! Maybe Chrysler will put a diesel in the soon?-to-be here Chrysler 100.
http://blogs.automotive.com/spied-2014- ... 00055.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chiadog
The frontal view of that Chrysler made me almost shoot coffee out of my nose because I instantly thought of
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Actually, I read the article...it doesn't say specifically auto-only, just compares the auto's prices to a tdi's jetta with an auto...
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

lannvouivre wrote:
Chiadog wrote:$27,000, auto only, urea tank, Why is GM trying to NOT sell this car? And Oh Yea, Americans won't buy hatchbacks! Maybe Chrysler will put a diesel in the soon?-to-be here Chrysler 100.
chiadog
The frontal view of that Chrysler made me almost shoot coffee out of my nose because I instantly thought of
You do realize the car is a camoflaged test mule, don't you. But I love the mantis pic!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

ANYTHING is better than the front end of the Lincoln's.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Josh Tavel, Vehicle Performance Manager for Chevrolet Small Cars, was on AutolineDetroit this week talking about the Diesel Cruze.
There's ton of information in the video.
Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbVPF4YEV_8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

thebarber wrote:No manual? Fail.
thebarber wrote:Actually, I read the article...it doesn't say specifically auto-only, just compares the auto's prices to a tdi's jetta with an auto...
The Cruze Diesel is coming to the US as Auto only.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

chiadog
If Chrysler gives America the Alfa Giulietta in near-Euro style, I might be interested in one.

SeattleJeremy wrote:
thebarber wrote:Actually, I read the article...it doesn't say specifically auto-only, just compares the auto's prices to a tdi's jetta with an auto...
At least at first. I don't see it staying auto-only. But I could be wrong.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Unfortunately you're going to have to wait a while for the 100, it seems to have fallen off the product plan. I was looking forward to it too. Probably due to a botched Dart launch (silly Sergio, dumping thousands of Darts on dealer lots at launch with only manuals that Americans can't drive, or later on dual clutch automatics which Americans don't like. :roll:)

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/chrysle ... 2-FGA.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image Image
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

SeattleJeremy wrote:
That article doesn't specifically say auto-only

However, you couldn't get the 1.4T in a manual for the first couple years, too
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Chiadog wrote:You do realize the car is a camoflaged test mule, don't you. But I love the mantis pic!
Yeah, I've just been seeing lots of mantis in games and pictures lately so the frontal view really took me off-guard.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

thebarber wrote:
SeattleJeremy wrote:
That article doesn't specifically say auto-only

However, you couldn't get the 1.4T in a manual for the first couple years, too
In the video I posted Josh Tavel talks about it being auto-only, at least initially.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

ColonelPanic wrote:Unfortunately you're going to have to wait a while for the 100, it seems to have fallen off the product plan. I was looking forward to it too. Probably due to a botched Dart launch (silly Sergio, dumping thousands of Darts on dealer lots at launch with only manuals that Americans can't drive, or later on dual clutch automatics which Americans don't like. :roll:)

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/chrysle ... 2-FGA.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Huge Disappointment! I'd hoped the Chrysler 100 hatchback would show there is demand for a hatch/small wagon in the USA.
chiadog
vit

Post by vit »

Ok, what happens if you don't use urea?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Good question! Teh googles say you are warned that the level is low, then it no longer runs once empty...

And apparently taking a leak in the reservior is not an acceptable substitute. :?

Image Image
vit

Post by vit »

I though maybe the EPA comes after you...