FR-S Convertible concept to be revealed in March

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
MrHatchWagon

FR-S Convertible concept to be revealed in March

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Via Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/5980795/scion-fr+s- ... this-is-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently, Toyota will be revealing a concept for the convertible version of their new boxer-engined, RWD sports coupe in March, at the Geneva Motor Show.

I for one love the idea, it's a throwback to all of the 90's coupes you could get in convertible format, like the Nissan 240sx, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mazda Rx-7.. I'm excited and hopeful to see if it'll make it to production.

The only concern I really have about it is the fact that it may lose some rigidity from the change, and may put on a few pounds in the process. Here's hoping they manage to keep weight down and not mess up the handling too badly. I would probably look at the FR-S or its Subaru twin in a few years, when the time comes to look for a new vehicle. Who knows, maybe by then I'll be able to find a decent used example for a good price.

What do you guys think of this car, and the possibility of there being one sans top?
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
KITT222

Re: FR-S Convertible concept to be revealed in March

Post by KITT222 »

MrHatchWagon wrote:
The only concern I really have about it is the fact that it may lose some rigidity from the change, and may put on a few pounds in the process. Here's hoping they manage to keep weight down and not mess up the handling too badly. I would probably look at the FR-S or its Subaru twin in a few years, when the time comes to look for a new vehicle. Who knows, maybe by then I'll be able to find a decent used example for a good price.

What do you guys think of this car, and the possibility of there being one sans top?

I like the GT-86/BRZ twins. A roadster could be neat, but I'd have to see the final product, or get near it at least. My concerns are the same as yours. I'd rather have a hardtop with a lighter frame than a roadster. However, the only reason I don't dismiss this like other roadter-fied sports cars is because I trust the engineers at Toyota. I trust them because they did what I want to do when I work as an engineer. They wouldn't let handling be compromised by the subtraction of a roof....
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I would seriously jones for a FR-S drop top. I'd wait for the turbo version. However, a V-6 Mustang would be serious competition for my affection.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I highly doubt a factory turbo version is coming. The car is about driving enjoyment, not power. The aftermarket has you covered, though.

If the rumors are true, Toyota will also be revealing a 5-door "baby GT-86" compact hatchback. RWD. There's no delicate way to put it, I would go bloody nuts if they go through with that.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I seen one at a stoplight lowered with some aftermarket wheels & it looked REALLY good & I applaud Scion ( ahem....Subaru LOL ) for an entry level sports car, however Im not crazy about this car at all for one thing....its powerband is so far up the RPM scale its insane. 200 HP @ 7000 RPMS. 7000 RPMS ???? Holy friggin cow ! When are you going to use that ? I dont find that very usable for everyday driving. Torque is a MEASLY 151 LB-FT @ 6400 RPM. Even the Civic SI has more usable torque. Look at its competitors ( price wise within 3k of each other ) If I was going to choose a car from a engine performance point of view ( looks are subjuect ive ) Scion wouldnt be the one. It has some really cool looks & Subarus bulletproof boxer engine though !

2013 Mustang - HP 305 @ 6500 RPM - TQ - 280 @ 4250 RPM -Base Price - 22K

2013 HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE - HP - 274 @ 6000 RPM - TQ -275 @ 2000 RPM - Base Price - 25K

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO - HP 323 @ 6800 RPM - TQ - 278 @ 4800 RPM - Base Price - 24K

2013 VOLKSWAGEN GTI - HP - 200 @ 5100 RPM - TQ - 207 @ 1700 RPM - Base Price - 24K

2012 VOLVO C30 - HP - 227 @ 5000 RPM - TQ - 236 @ 1500 RPM - Base Price - 25K

2013 Honda Civic SI Coupe - HP - 201 @ 7000 RPM - TQ 170 @ 4400 - Base Price 22K
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

The car was Akio Toyoda's idea. He gave an engineer the go ahead for a sports car. Any type of sports car. So he decided on an affordable, entry-level RWD machine. The lead engineer's dad worked on the Levin, actually. But what they wanted was a car that would be great to drive. They had no intentions on making it the most powerful machine out there. THAT was hard to pitch to the Toyota Board... But Subaru comes in because they had juts come together with Subaru, and were planning on a project, and the engineers on the GT-86 wanted a low-COG boxer engine. And who has Boxer engine? Subaru! I say the GT86/BRZ are much better than the crossover alternative.