Millster inspired me to show off my Euro car I just got

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
journeyforce

Millster inspired me to show off my Euro car I just got

Post by journeyforce »

So with all that Jag goodness Millster was showing off I figured I would show off my latest car. It is a Swedish icon, the 240 series. Mine is a 1990 wagon.

I was looking for a reliable, cheap to maintain Euro car(yes I know those words don't belong in the same sentence :lol: But the Volvo 240/700 series and 900 series are the some of the most reliable Euro cars out there.) I was also looking at the 1975-1985 Mercedes 240D/300D/300TD series as they are cheap to run and reliable

I bought it today for $1275($1000 for the car and $275 for tags/title and tag broker fees(nobody in maryland that is in their right mind would dare go to the MVA for anything. For an extra $50 the tag broker took care of that and I was in and out with tags in 15 mins) It is tagged Historic because it is over 20 years old and it is only being used for a take to the dump/winter beater so not driven much. I sold the 1985 Cutlass and bought this car and my insurance dropped by $50 when I took the Cutty off the policy and added this one :lol: I guess Volvos are safer and less likely to show damage

Here is the only pic I took so far, I need to collect it from the former owner. I want to get tags first and will snag it this weekend

It does have some interesting things. it has heated front seats and an analog clock in the dash. It also has a radio out of a late 1980's camry that works perfectly(Haven't figured that one out yet)

Things I need to replace are the odometer gear or capacitor since the odo don't work(happens to all 240's)
Salsa Guy

Re: Millster inspired me to show off my Euro car I just got

Post by Salsa Guy »

A Turbo Brick! Those things are tanks but can be a bit of a pain to work on (I suppose a matrix isn't any easier). Goodluck!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
millster

Post by millster »

That's a beaut of a 240, Journeyforce! It's a lot like my Saab. Wonderfully reliable (in their European fashion) but a bear to work on when they do break. What you'll find is a lot of commonality with Toyotas of the year. I can't remember off-hand what parts are shared with the Camry, but there are a few that are interchangeable. A couple members of my car club have 240s and when I bought the Frankenkitty that became the topic of conversation; how a couple of the guys had used Toyota parts because they were more readily available. From my recollection, the two things you'll dread are the neutral interlock and the climate control blower motor. Otherwise, they're pretty much a "do it in a weekend" type of car, alright.

I had a lead on a 240DL wagon just before my wife found the Jag but it had a deer strike and was of questionable mechanical ability. The body damage was a straight-forward unbolt, rebolt, spray job but the mechanics were odd. It acted like the timing drive was slipping.

Again though, sweet car! Some people don't understand the appeal of a Volvo, but those people have never driven one. :D
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Nice! My parents had an '81 240 wagon for something like 20 years. Only got rid of it because the suspension components were starting to rust through and would have cost more to fix then the car was worth. Don't know how many miles were on it since to odo stopped working at 188k. Other than that, I don't think anything else went wrong with it.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring