Another trip to the local junk yard

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
journeyforce

Another trip to the local junk yard

Post by journeyforce »

So last week I bought a nice condition(well nice for a 27 year old car) 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan. I had a 1987 several years ago and liked it and since it only cost me $1000 for the car and only adds $260 a year on my insurance, I said what the heck and bought it. I wanted to get a few things for it at the junk yard and saw some interesting cars so I took pics

the first car that greeted me was a excellent 1961-1963 Oldsmobile F-85 (which was actually the original name for the Oldsmobile Cutlass) I don't know why it was in there as the body was in good condition(it looked like it was repainted in the past and the clear coat showing on the hood) with minimal rust in the fenders(in corners and easy to fix) and the interior was in great shape. the frame and floor pans looked great for a car that at the youngest was coming up to 50 years old. It was very sad to see it there.

I then saw a Chevette(I owned one and it was one of the most reliable(and slowest) cars I owned

Next to the Chevette was a 1950's Chevy Belair

A few cars down was a what looked like a 1950 DeSoto Deluxe (DeSoto was division in Chrysler from the 1920's until the early 1960's) It looked rough but restorable to the right person

I then saw the car that really gave Cadillac a lot of grief(and rightly so) The Cadillac Cimarron which was nothing more then a plush Cavalier

DiveNut

Re: Another trip to the local junk yard

Post by DiveNut »

Wow, that F85 is in great shape! But too many doors for me LOL... That is a very cool bone yard. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Pat
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Being a former GM J-Body car owner, it's pretty neat seeing a Cimarron! Definitely one of the rarest, if not the rarest of all the GM J-Body cars.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

That Olds in better shape than the Impala I'm restoring. What a shame. :(

None of the salvage yards around here have cool old cars like that any more.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

J_TO_ENVY wrote:Being a former GM J-Body car owner, it's pretty neat seeing a Cimarron! Definitely one of the rarest, if not the rarest of all the GM J-Body cars.
The reason you don't see many of the Caddies at the junk yard anymore is because folks found out that the interior(including the plush power seats) bolted right up in Cavalier, Sunbird, Skyhawk(buick) Firenza(Oldsmobile) sedans and stripped them out
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

KNINE wrote:That Olds in better shape than the Impala I'm restoring. What a shame. :(

None of the salvage yards around here have cool old cars like that any more.
This junk yard always has cool old stuff. It is one of a chain of pick it pull it junk yards called Crazy Ray's in Maryland. A $1 gets you in and you can stay all day. Plus Crazy ray's has a price list so you know up front what a part is going to cost.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Let me know if you come across a 63 Chevy. It might be woth my while to drive o Maryland.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

journeyforce wrote:The reason you don't see many of the Caddies at the junk yard anymore is because folks found out that the interior(including the plush power seats) bolted right up in Cavalier, Sunbird, Skyhawk(buick) Firenza(Oldsmobile) sedans and stripped them out
I didn't mean you don't see many in junkyards, I meant on the road, for sale, etc. There aren't even any on The J-Body Organization website. It's all Cavaliers, Sunfires and Sunbirds.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage