I think I found my after-Vibe ride

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
jkm311

I think I found my after-Vibe ride

Post by jkm311 »

So, the Vibe is paid off. I plan to enjoy this for a couple years. That has always been the plan. But today on the way home from work, I think I was following what ride might be in my future. Subaru plans to make a WRX STI of the 2012 Impreza Sport for the 2013 model year. I figure, I'll be on board for 2014 model. These are pics of the Impreza Sport standard model. It only has 148 HP, and don't forget the all-time AWD zapping 10 or 12 of those at the wheels. Not to mention a few MPGs. The other angle I loved about the Impreza, was the fact that a plant in Indiana was making them. Not the case after 2012. Japan-only. Not sure how I feel about that. Detroit guilt. A couple interweb pics similar to the standard Sport model I saw today:
640px-2012_Subaru_Impreza_Sport_--_02-29-2012_rear.JPG
640px-2012_Subaru_Impreza_Sport_--_02-29-2012_rear.JPG (68.12 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
640px-2012_Subaru_Impreza_Sport_--_02-29-2012_front.JPG
640px-2012_Subaru_Impreza_Sport_--_02-29-2012_front.JPG (67.14 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
Steelies to the rescue.
vibenvy

Re: I think I found my after-Vibe ride

Post by vibenvy »

Not bad looking.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Not bad. Should go on a car-testdriving-day, have a closer look at what's out there!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
vit

Post by vit »

A couple of things would make me think before getting one... CVT for an automatic, yes, for a daily driver I want an auto tranny. AWD is awesome but has some maintenance quirks - keeping same or close to same tire OD for all wheels is one. Plus, I got a bit burned out on our first Subaru, the 2011 OB.
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

vit wrote: Plus, I got a bit burned out on our first Subaru, the 2011 OB.
How so? My wife likes the latest gen of the Outback. We have driven nothing but American-brand (and actually, all American-built) throughout both our lives, but our tastes are shifting.

We really love her Malibu Maxx, but GM discontinued a hatch of the Malibu in 2007. Too bad, seeing that we are not fans of the quad taillights on the 2013. A hatch might have helped. I am also upset GM is not making any efforts to bring the Cruze hatch to the states, despite being offered, as we speak, in Europe. Audi A3s are amazing, too. I just want to observe the life-cycle of a car like the Impreza Sport for a couple years and do some hardcore research, whenever I decide to buy again.
Steelies to the rescue.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I assume this if different from the Imprezna Wagon. Have looked at Subaru in the past but really didn't need 4 wheel drive, it's higher price, lower mpg, and repair potential. so I passed.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

jake75 wrote:I assume this if different from the Imprezna Wagon.
My guess is "yes," it is different. But I am new to Subies. Never knew anything about them or had anyone I know that has driven them.
There are a lot of choices out there now. More than ever, in my opinion. But I've taken good care of my 2006, and I intend on getting a few
more good years out of it before moving on.
Steelies to the rescue.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Very sporty looking from the back and side. 'Less thrilled with how it looks from the front,but it OK.
My other concern (which is my opinion, perhaps not yours) would be the 148hp rating. That seems a little light for a modern hatchback to me. It looks the part but may not be able to back that look up.
Personally I'd be looking at a turbo model.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
vit

Post by vit »

jkm311 wrote:
vit wrote: Plus, I got a bit burned out on our first Subaru, the 2011 OB.
How so? My wife likes the latest gen of the Outback. We have driven nothing but American-brand (and actually, all American-built) throughout both our lives, but our tastes are shifting.

We really love her Malibu Maxx, but GM discontinued a hatch of the Malibu in 2007. Too bad, seeing that we are not fans of the quad taillights on the 2013. A hatch might have helped. I am also upset GM is not making any efforts to bring the Cruze hatch to the states, despite being offered, as we speak, in Europe. Audi A3s are amazing, too. I just want to observe the life-cycle of a car like the Impreza Sport for a couple years and do some hardcore research, whenever I decide to buy again.

The interior was not wearing well, materials looked very good when new, but started to show wear very quickly. The CVT felt like it was broken or something - too many years of conventional auto trans driving. Some clunks coming from the drive train - backing up or turning. Developed a shake- there is a whole sub forum on OBforum for that - didn't feel like dealing with it. Just too many small annoyances for a 30K car. Like the auto headlights - they are so sensitive that driving under an over pass will make lights come on and shut right off - pisses other drivers off and cuts down on light bulb lifespan.
The whole CVT thing I'm not sold on. It's not even offered in the 6 cylinder version - too much power to handle? Replacement cost for CVT is way too high as compared to conventional automatic.
...but it was an awesome snowmobile ;)

Yes, it was also my wife's choice and I failed to do enough research and talk her out of it. She didn't want a mini van anymore and we went for the OB. Traded it in exactly a year later for a new Sienna - we just missed a van that much. Good thing those Subarus hold their value well.
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

06pvibe wrote:My other concern (which is my opinion, perhaps not yours) would be the 148hp rating. That seems a little light for a modern hatchback to me. It looks the part but may not be able to back that look up. Personally I'd be looking at a turbo model.
True. I am stalking the interwebs for news on a WRX or WRX/STI model. Rumor is 2013, even 2014 could be the target.
vit wrote:The whole CVT thing I'm not sold on. It's not even offered in the 6 cylinder version - too much power to handle? Replacement cost for CVT is way too high as compared to conventional automatic. ...but it was an awesome snowmobile ;)
My feelings exactly. I have read/heard awful things (clunks, slipping) already about the CVT in the latest Focus. Owners are back in the shop, one week after driving it off the lot. The funny part is, I only bought my Vibe as an automatic so my wife could drive it in a pinch. She's driven it twice in 6 years. Heh. I would love to get my next ride as a manual... but we'll see. I think I've transcended into the "practical" time of my life. Alas, I have missed my gear-controlling window. :lol:
Steelies to the rescue.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I like the looks of the Subie you posted. I've also heard that Subaru was #1 in some recent reliability/customer satisfaction survey or something. Not sure how that lines up with Vit's experience with a 2011 model - his description is what I remember from Subaru - cars that looked like they were used up just a few years old. But you never know, my '97 Civic held up well where our 2001 Accord looks older.

The move to CVTs seems to be driven by mfg's concern to maximize mpg. I'd will continue to get manual trans models when I can, until my knees refuse to cooperate. But it sux that a lot of mfg's also seem to want to get rid of manual transmission models or you can't get them except on a base model - even for some cars that are going for the "sporty" demographic.

You might check out the Kia Rio5 (even better style IMO though I won't swear to reliability just yet - I only recently came around to considering Hyundai on the shopping list).
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

jkm311 wrote:The other angle I loved about the Impreza, was the fact that a plant in Indiana was making them. Not the case after 2012. Japan-only. Not sure how I feel about that. Detroit guilt.
Subaru's Indiana plant produces Legacy, Outback, Tribeca and Toyota Camry's. All Imprezas and Foresters are produced at the Gunma, Japan plant.
Don't let this stop you, Subaru makes awesome cars.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

You're right. I misread the origin. I believe people were thinking Subaru was GOING to have the Imprezas made in Indiana. Not happening, I guess.
Steelies to the rescue.
crazytrain

Post by crazytrain »

I like Subaru. In 2004 bought a Saab 92X for my wife, which was actually a Subaru in a Saab wrapper. Ran great. In 2010 my wife was itching for another new car and she wanted a Forester. We're both very happy with it. At the time I was also thinking of trading in my Vibe for an Imprezza, Forester or Outback, but couldn't justify it. Actually I couldn't justify trading in the 92X either, but you try arguing with my wife :lol:
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

crazytrain wrote:In 2004 bought a Saab 92X for my wife, which was actually a Subaru in a Saab wrapper. Ran great.
When I bought my Vibe, the 92X and Mazda Protege 5 were the other two contenders. I still see those cars with owners that have taken good care of them. Seems like
no matter what option I went with, all three would have aged gracefully.
Steelies to the rescue.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I wonder how quite the Subaru is. I think noise is my main complaint about econoboxes like our Vibes. Never looked seriously at the Lexus CT200h hatchback. With a msrp of 30,000 and a little over 40 mpg (hybrid you know) it might be a good choice, though I would prefer a non-hybrid version.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
trask

Post by trask »

I dumped my 09 VibeGT for a Prius 4, I wanted fold flat seats, a hatch back plus mileage. I do not miss anything on the Vibe after owning this car for a month. Only real complaint would be the similar highway noise problem that the Vibe had. Never thought I would own a hybrid but I like all the tech stuff the car has. The CVT transmission is quite a difference from the automatic transmission on the Vibe, but I have grown to like it a lot.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trask wrote:I dumped my 09 VibeGT for a Prius 4, I wanted fold flat seats, a hatch back plus mileage. I do not miss anything on the Vibe after owning this car for a month. Only real complaint would be the similar highway noise problem that the Vibe had. Never thought I would own a hybrid but I like all the tech stuff the car has. The CVT transmission is quite a difference from the automatic transmission on the Vibe, but I have grown to like it a lot.
Sucks to hear you got rid of the Vibe :(.

With that said... post some pictures of the Prius :)!
trask

Post by trask »

ImageImageImage

power tilt/slide moonroof with Solar Powered Ventilation System, Remote Air Conditioning System with sliding sunshade and Head-Up Display (HUD), Premium HDD Navigation.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
jake75

Post by jake75 »

J_TO_ENVY wrote:
trask wrote:I dumped my 09 VibeGT for a Prius 4, I wanted fold flat seats, a hatch back plus mileage. I do not miss anything on the Vibe after owning this car for a month. Only real complaint would be the similar highway noise problem that the Vibe had. Never thought I would own a hybrid but I like all the tech stuff the car has. The CVT transmission is quite a difference from the automatic transmission on the Vibe, but I have grown to like it a lot.
Sucks to hear you got rid of the Vibe :(.
Well, it's not like it went to the crusher - someone is now enjoying it.
trask

Post by trask »

The new owner will be very happy with the 09GT. I upgraded the radio and had taken very good care of it. I wanted better mileage and am now very happy with the mpg`s I am getting with the Prius.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trask wrote:ImageImageImage

power tilt/slide moonroof with Solar Powered Ventilation System, Remote Air Conditioning System with sliding sunshade and Head-Up Display (HUD), Premium HDD Navigation.
Very nice Prius ;)! Love the color! Any plans for it?
jake75 wrote:Well, it's not like it went to the crusher - someone is now enjoying it.
I know. It just sucks when we "lose" a member of the GV family is all.
trask wrote:The new owner will be very happy with the 09GT. I upgraded the radio and had taken very good care of it. I wanted better mileage and am now very happy with the mpg`s I am getting with the Prius.
Good to know. Perhaps the new owner will become a member here...
trask

Post by trask »

First thing I did was replace the horn, looking at getting a sway bar and upgrading the wheels to 17`s, but will take a slight hit on mpgs as expected, the handling on the Prius is not even close to the vibe 09GT suspension, but I knew that before I purchased the car.
Last edited by trask on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trask wrote:First thing I did was replace the horn, looking at getting a sway bar and upgrading the wheels to 17`s, but will take a slight hit on mpgs as expected, the handling on the Prius is not even close to the vibe 09GT suspension, but I new that before I purchased the car.
Be sure to post more pictures as you get things done to it ;)!