Tracked down an original 1965-1966 Ford Falcon/Ford Mustang AM radio for my brother's 1966 Mustang

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
journeyforce

Tracked down an original 1965-1966 Ford Falcon/Ford Mustang AM radio for my brother's 1966 Mustang

Post by journeyforce »

So this weekend I went back to the local pick it pull it junk yard with the right tools and got a 1965-66 Ford Falcon/Mustang AM radio for $11. It came out of a 1965 Falcon but also was the correct one for the 1965-66 Mustang with the exception of the knobs but I was able to get set of repro Mustang radio knobs.It cleaned up nicely and after being totally taken apart and cleaned up it looks good and all the buttons function. I don't know if it will actually play but that don't matter since he has a iPod compatable radio in the glove box. This is just to get rid of the 1980's radio that says Mustang so that the car looks all originalI used to restore old radios as a hobby but have not in a few years. So hear are some picsDon't worry I did not use the can of WD-40 on the radio. It was in the box with the other spray i used(a electonics cleaner from Radioshack) and I had to remove it to get to the correct cleaner
joatmon

Re: Tracked down an original 1965-1966 Ford Falcon/Ford Mustang AM radio for my ... (journeyforce)

Post by joatmon »

I remember those radios Back in the mid-80's I had 66 Falcon, which was a pain because of the unsynchronized 1st gear. Good thing it'll be an exact fit, it would be really hard to figure out that complicated wire harness
KNINE

Re: Tracked down an original 1965-1966 Ford Falcon/Ford Mustang AM radio for my ... (journeyforce)

Post by KNINE »

Don't you just love old car finds? I picked up a factory radio for my '63 Impala a few weeks ago for 50 bucks. it was advertised on ebay, but the guy sold it to me in person since I lived in the next town.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

The radio is just going to be a seen but cannot play unit. There is a CD player/iPod hooked up with new speakers. It lives in the glove box because it is almost like a sin to go cutting into a classic car dash.The radio in the radio hole is a 1980's am/fm cassette radio with the word Mustang on it and a digital display. It was one of those radios you spend a (removed) load at a car show but was crappy and in fact it does not work but due to the 1965-1966 dash and the factory radio with the knobs off center, not many aftermarket radios can fit without cutting the dash up.K-Nine, yes it is very nice to fine old car things. The junk yards i go to are called Crazy Rays and they have 4 of them in Maryland. You pay a dollar to get in and can stay all day and the prices are low since no warrenty are given and you have to pull the part yourself.