My 2012 GLI after 47 days (review)

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Whelan

My 2012 GLI after 47 days (review)

Post by Whelan »

So I've had the car for 47 days and have acquired just over 1600 miles on it. The summary is that I'm averaging about 28mpg (I have a heavy foot ) and have put nothing but 93 in the tank. Fillups are between 10-12 gallons each time and the difference in gas has only yielded about $7-10 more per tank than my Matrix with 87. I bring it in to the dealer for a 60 day check-up in a couple of weeks and have already made my first payment (59 to go). No modifications have been done to date, I'm just enjoying the car for what it is and it's done nothing bu please me everyday. Now onto the review;I'll admit I didn't follow break-in procedures to a T. I drove it somewhat spiritedly at times and have only recently redlined the car once or twice. The power band on this vehicle is really unlike anything I've driven before. I'm not sure if it's becuase I'm in a turbo car but I can only compare it to the feel you get with a V8 where you get that strong pull down low right through the range but unlike a V8 it doesn't wheez out as quickly. Specs say that full torque comes at 2500RPM and it is apparent. There is no need to constantly downshift multiple times to get that extra bit of power to pass or merge; even in 6th gear the car can easily jump from 65-80 quickly without mashing the pedal or shifting down to 5 or 4. Although I must say that shifting down to 4 or 3 when passing or merging is insanely fun. The steering is very tight and the car appreciates speed at the wheel. Slower speeds require a little more effort for turning but are by no means hard. But as the car accelerates to highway speeds the steering seems to change and provide a different kind of feedback, a much appreciated one. It doesn;t float or jostle on bumps or turns and holds the line like nothing I've been behind the wheel of prior. The flat bottomed steering wheel is a treat to drive with and the bolstering and leather wrapping help to make you feel your in something sporty. I discovered the "hill-hold" feature about two weeks into my ownership and had no idea I had it. On inclines at a light or stop sign when you let off the brake completely the car just sits there for about 2-3 seconds before releasing. This feature is overridden in that time period once you touch the accelerator. Not having to feather the clutch is something I'm getting very used to and it makes it a lot easier on your feet when at those long lights or when some jerk decides to bumper ride you at the light. The gauges are very intuitive and are either off or dimly lit during the daytime. If you turn your headlights on it obiviously will illuminate in full but I learned that if you do not have your lights on and it is dark or getting dark out, the gauges will automatically dim and become basically invisible until you turn your headlamps on. It's pretty ingenious in making sure people turn their lights on instead of just driving around without them as gauges nowadays are lit all the time.Found out two days agao that I had heated mirrors The exterior has been observed by many both in the VW community and elsewhere. There is a carwash at the end of my street that does hand washes and I've been there twice (too cold to wash at home and I put my hoses away in winter). Each time several of the patrons have commented on the car and how they love the wheels and are stunned to find out they came from the dealer that way. I also took the liberty of removing the dealer badge and plate frame and had one custom made. It's plastic but made to look like brushed aluminum and I had MKVI engraved in it to reflect that it's a Mark 6 Jetta. The GLI on the trunk helps to keep the rear clean (no Jetta, no 2.0T, no volkswagen writing). So it keeps with the flow.The interior has been amazingly comfortable on my commute and short trips. I get zero fatigue and always feel firmly in place when driving around. I have the back bolster setting just right and since nobody else drives the car (wife won't learn manual), it never changes All the controls are easily reached and the dual zone climate control is functioning perfectly and keeping the cabin very cozy. The heated seats will burn your rear if left on the highest of 3 settings. But they work quick to warm you up in the AM, and the seats even heat on the back as well. The steering wheel controls took a little getting used to but are very quick and easily utilized while driving. You cannot play with Settings while driving which is a "duh" feature, but flipping through stations, the phonebook, volume, avg. fuel mileage, etc. all have become second nature. Now if I can only figure out how to go from AM to FM. I played with the BT radio and it has worked flawlessly, same for the regular radio. The Fender system is brilliant and clean, no overly heavy bass or mids/highs; just clean, crisp beats. You can set the sensitivity levels and the car raises the volume automatically as you drive at higher speeds on the highway and lowers when your on the regular roads again.The only issues I've encountered with the car have been what I describe below. But the car goes in two weeks for a 60 day checkup and they will be addressed then;Trunk Opening - When popped via switch or fob it wouldn't open fully. Research yielded that the spring on the side could be adjusted to different settings. I grabbed a tool and problem was fixed in 5 minutes.Sub Rattle - A prominent issue experienced by many with the GLI. The subwoofer on the Fender system is located under the rear deck and helps to optimize trunk space. However this is fixed by the dealer under warranty with additional sound deadening added to the area. Passenger Door Rattle - Not sure if it is the same as the famed wastegate rattle many are experiencing (which I will have checked out, they put on a cover with additional screw for that problem), but the area near the passenger door has a rattle at certain RPM's when accelerating at full throttle. And that's it. If you have any questions let me know and I'd be glad to answer them. I am in love with my car and having a manual transmission again puts me on cloud 9. The issues are minor and all fixable with a dealer visit, other than that the car has been flawless in it's delivery and promises and I look forward to many more miles with it. Here is a video of the exhaust I am looking to pickup for it in the next year probably. Would love a Carbonio Intake and APR Stage I but those will come in time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtvW95b0xVc
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Whelan

Re: My 2012 GLI after 47 days (Whelan)

Post by Whelan »

Added some nice vinyl decals for my mirrors
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
KITT222

Re: My 2012 GLI after 47 days (Whelan)

Post by KITT222 »

Good to hear that you're happy with your new car. Nice review too.
Whelan

Re: My 2012 GLI after 47 days (KITT222)

Post by Whelan »

Added LED DRL'sThese are the HP-18 1156 bulbs with a B15S base from superbrightleds.comhttp://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... -x18-T.htmOld Bulb, New BulbWhen you look behind the headlamps there are big circular caps that twist and unlock, very simple to open with big tabs for holding pointsThe hole is large enough for your had to squeeze in, then it's down and under the main low beam to get to the DRL Best tip I can give is to stand next to the fender facing the front of the car and reach in. It allows the best angle and leverage and the DRL bulb is attached via a long plastic holder with 3 tabs for holding. I was able to swap them both out within 5 minutes. The trick to putting it back in is to stand and face the same way I said above but bend over and look into the headlamp from the front and you will be able to see the bulb as you are fishing and insert it into the DRL opening in the lamp. Made it a WHOLE lot easier.First Comparison PicCloseup comparison, my camera isn't the best but this is the closest to the actual color. FYI 18 SMD's is more than enough for light output without being too bright or overboard.Another ComparisonBoth bulbs in
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

man I haven't been around in a while, but didn't know you got a vw. At least you got a manual! :D