Nissan Leaf

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Sputnik

Nissan Leaf

Post by Sputnik »

We got our invite last weekend to register for a Nissan Leaf. Unfortunately I was in Toronto and only on an iPhone - the registration site was definitely not iPhone friendly. As they only had 40 available for the first round, I missed out on putting my name down for one. Anyway they will be having test drives in Ottawa in September so I registered for that! Next round of registrations for the 2012 Leaf is in October... I'll try for that one. We are likely to buy either a Leaf or another electric car, but they availability of them is so limited right now they are tough to get. If the electric route doesn't work out, maybe a Ford Focus. In any case, the Rogue is not going anywhere, it just won't be our commuter car if we can get a Leaf.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Blanco_Diablo

Re: Nissan Leaf (Sputnik)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Every time I run an errand, even just 5 minutes to the store, I see about 10 of these on the road. I think the people of Portland bought 'em all! Haven't ridden in one, but they are definitely popular out here.
Sputnik

Re: Nissan Leaf (Blanco_Diablo)

Post by Sputnik »

Cool! They are not for sale up here in Canada yet - except to those who were able to reserve one last weekend. Not sure when they will actually be delivered to those people.
GenVibe Global Moderator

kostby

Post by kostby »

The all-electric ("no tailpipe" is one of their big advertising catchphrases) it makes a lot of sense for about 90% of the driving we do. But the other 10% (150 mile round trips in a single day - taking child to & from college with his stuff) just doesn't work for a plug-in for now.There's a 3-day Leaf event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Indianapolis IN) in a couple of weeks. I thought about registering, but we're not in the market for any new car for a few years, and I don't look forward to years of phone calls asking if I'm ready to buy yet, so I didn't sign up.As I understand it, US price for a Leaf is in the upper-30,000's before $7500 government subsidy, so you could buy one really loaded popular mid-sized car, or two good used mid-sized cars and a pretty nice bicycle, or a nice electric golf cart and a new compact car, or ...

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Sputnik

Re: (kostby)

Post by Sputnik »

LOL yes its true you could buy lots of stuff for that money, and this is what we're choosing to do with it. But we are keeping our Rogue for the 10% of the driving we need it for, and going to try and get a Leaf for most of our driving. I don't think this car is for everyone, but for us I think it will be good.
GenVibe Global Moderator

jake75

Re: (Sputnik)

Post by jake75 »

It would certainly fit our needs. Rarely drive more than40-50 miles a day. This spring I went to a battery lawn mower, and have mostly battery power tools.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
vit

Post by vit »

Never even seen one in the flesh. Only one Volt so far.
Sputnik

Re: (vit)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by vit »Never even seen one in the flesh. Only one Volt so far.Saw one at the Toronto Auto show along with Volt, Ford Focus Electric and some others (Smart etc). I actually would get the Focus over the Leaf but its not out yet.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...if Nissan makes a "macho' model of the LEAF, would they call it the FIG LEAF?
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

are they even letting you BUY them outright or is it just a lease...??
Sputnik

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »are they even letting you BUY them outright or is it just a lease...??You can buy them, but right now you had to have been one of the first 40 people to get through the website registration to get the first ones. I haven't see anything about leasing them.
GenVibe Global Moderator

ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

IDKSomeone who lives in Ottawa and is a Bruins Fan drive a Leaf? A Conspiracy Theory? On a side note, they look like great vehicles... I also say "darn" to the electric Focus not being available as the new models are VERY nice
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Blueridge9

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by Blueridge9 »

I got an invite to test drive a Leaf and am VERY interested but didnt want to drive 4 hours 1 way to where they had them. I hope they become more easily available here like they are in Portland. I think they should take them to all the major University towns. I would only buy one if something happened to the Vibe and I would be more likely to lease it to be sure it worked out for me. I would not pay extra for the solar panel.Yes to an electric Focus from me too.CNET did a "check the tech" review of a Leaf and Focus recently too.If I bought it used would it be a "RE-LEAF"?
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

We were in Amsterdam last week and there were two Nissan Leaf's and a Tesla charging up. The guy who owned the Leaf offered to take us out in it! Very nice, very comfortable ride. Then today I got to drive a Leaf for myself here in Ottawa. Love it!! I hope I get one.
GenVibe Global Moderator

jake75

Re: (kostby)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by kostby »As I understand it, US price for a Leaf is in the upper-30,000's before $7500 government subsidy, so you could buy one really loaded popular mid-sized car, or two good used mid-sized cars and a pretty nice bicycle, or a nice electric golf cart and a new compact car, or ...So the net capital cost of a Leaf is about $30,000. That is at least $10,000 more than any other similar gasoline powered car.We put no more than 6,000 miles per year on our Vibe. Even at 25 mpg that is 240 gal of gas. At $4 that is $960. Over 10 years that is $9,600. Electricity isn't free. Unless you ascribe a high value to being green that is at best a wash. And it seems to me that you are just pushing the pollutants from the tailpipe to the electric plant. Maybe it would work for someone with a daily commute of 50 miles. But recognize that you are paying no road tax so the cost of that is shifted to those who still use fossil fuels. I think I will drive my Vibe at least 8 more years before I consider an electric vehicle.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Nissan Leaf in Amsterdam:Tesla parked beside the Leaf
GenVibe Global Moderator

journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Good luck on your effort to snag one. I like the looks of the Leaf but if I was in the market for one of these cars I would choose the Volt due to it having a small gas engine on board to allow it to be charged up again and not strand you. I still think it will take years to get a good range on them. I really don't know why they don't fit a solar panel in the roof (about the size of a conventional sunroof) so as to constantly top off the charge or extend the range. When i was a kid i had a light on my bicycle that was charged up by me pedaling the bike. why can't they design a system that used the motion of the wheels to add charging to the batteries? I know about regenerative braking Anyway good luck on your quest
vit

Post by vit »

Anybody ever see the episode of Top Gear (BBC) where they built an electric car? That fas funny stuff... ended up gassing Stig.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

We successfully reserved a Nissan Leaf today! Hunt Club Nissan already phoned me about it - we requested it with the Quick Charge and HC Nissan wanted to confirm thats what we wanted as they have some coming without. I opted to wait for the quick charge ones. SO freaking excited.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Tubaryan12

Re: (journeyforce)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by journeyforce » When i was a kid i had a light on my bicycle that was charged up by me pedaling the bike. why can't they design a system that used the motion of the wheels to add charging to the batteries? Simply put, because to generate electricity while the car is moving would take power from the car. It's a net zero effect at best. I remember those bike generators. You always had to pedal extra hard when they were engaged. The same would happen to the car. Regenerative braking works because you want to take energy from the motion during braking. That energy is already wasted if you need to stop. The solar panel, on the other hand, would be a good idea...but I wouldn't count on adding much range with a roof sized panel.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by journeyforce »Good luck on your effort to snag one. I like the looks of the Leaf but if I was in the market for one of these cars I would choose the Volt due to it having a small gas engine on board to allow it to be charged up again and not strand you. I still think it will take years to get a good range on them. I really don't know why they don't fit a solar panel in the roof (about the size of a conventional sunroof) so as to constantly top off the charge or extend the range. When i was a kid i had a light on my bicycle that was charged up by me pedaling the bike. why can't they design a system that used the motion of the wheels to add charging to the batteries? I know about regenerative braking Anyway good luck on your questPart of my love of the leaf is the fact that I won't have to get oil changes (such as you would need in a Volt). In theory I like the Volt with its small gas engine, but if I'm going the EV route, I'm going the EV route, not the pseudo EV route. I've already planned a route to my parents house (140km from here - range is 160km), stopping at a friend's house on the way for a coffee chat while my Leaf trickle charges at her house. The other things I love about the leaf is the fact I can control it from my iPhone (I am a complete gadget freak) - I will tell it to warm up in a closed (no tailpipe - close the garage door and let 'er run!!) garage early in the morning while still plugged in so it is ready for me to go to work (on a nice freaking cold Canadian winter). I really love this car - I don't own one yet, but I'm so anxious to add another Nissan to my list. The guy who got the first Leaf in Canada drove from Ottawa to Ogdensburg to get winter tires installed - it was 167km there and he got there and back with 15km to spare. He trickle charged while getting his winter tires installed and then came back.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Persephone

Post by Persephone »

Ford Focus has horrendous safety and reliability ratings. Otherwise I might have considered it. Be careful, okay?
My lovely Gambit.
09vGT

Re: (Persephone)

Post by 09vGT »

Quote, originally posted by Persephone »Ford Focus has horrendous safety and reliability ratings. Otherwise I might have considered it. Be careful, okay?Ford Focus has had a rating of GOOD from the IIHS from 2000-2012. Of course, early models without side airbags got POOR, but that was the case for most all cars. The 2012 Focus got a IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK. The Nissan Leaf along side the Chevrolet Volt also got a TOP SAFETY PICK from the IIHS; which is a rating of GOOD in front, side, rear, and roof strength testing.
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

Oh, yeah, I s'pose I didn't look at very modern ones. But that's why I didn't consider a Prius, either. Didn't like the 3 star driver side impact safety rating. (removed)? o_O You'd think they'd remedy that eventually. . . but I saw it in many, many years. I insist on at least 4 stars in all areas.
My lovely Gambit.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by journeyforce »why can't they design a system that used the motion of the wheels to add charging to the batteries? I know about regenerative braking The drag created by the forward motion of the wheels diverted to generating electricity would use up more electricity than it would provide. Regenerative braking converts the momentum that would have otherwise been lost as heat on the brake disks/rotors of the car into electricity.With a bicycle you are converting your personal energy into electricity.Translated - no free lunch.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Plus a solar panel on the roof would really not supply much energy at all... though it could help to power the center console or the A/C?
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
Sputnik

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by Sputnik »

There is a small solar panel on the SL model and it does supply power to the accessories on the car.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Last night we bought Nissan Leaf! Hopefully here in time for Christmas.
GenVibe Global Moderator

hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

I believe the prius also has a roof panel to help ventilate the car and power the AC, not too sure on the AC, but a former co-worker has one and claims the car stays cool in the summer for when he gets into it.
03VibeOttawa

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Congrats on pulling the trigger! At the risk of sounding eco-smug, thank you for making our air a little cleaner and North America a little more energy independent. (On an unrelated note - this is my 4th post of the day - I think that's a personal record. I better go do something else on my lunch break and not be a post (removed) heh heh)
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
Sputnik

Re: (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Feelin’ The Vibe »Congrats on pulling the trigger! At the risk of sounding eco-smug, thank you for making our air a little cleaner and North America a little more energy independent. (On an unrelated note - this is my 4th post of the day - I think that's a personal record. I better go do something else on my lunch break and not be a post (removed) heh heh)Thanks! Although its hubby who's the eco part of this Leaf love-in. I'm more in love with the techy side of it. We should do another "Vibe Matrix" meet where I again bring a Nissan, this time a Leaf instead of the Rogue. There's a Canadian Leaf Owners page on Facebook and there's a few Ottawa Leafs already around... want to meet up with them too!
GenVibe Global Moderator

WhiteLightning

Post by WhiteLightning »

One doesn't see many Leafs/Leaves ? (lol) in my area. The Prius is a popular choice around here. I don't know if the Leaf could handle the mountains, etc. that we have close by. It takes a lot of "pull" to get up some of these areas. Plus, there aren't many charging stations. Two total stations here in Cookeville but the rest are in Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga. There was at least one Leaf in town but it was a demo model for the local Nissan dealer.
04/29/11 No mods, all stock.
Sputnik

Re: (WhiteLightning)

Post by Sputnik »

I know for sure there are two on the roads here, although maybe more now. I think there are 4 or of the 2012 MY on order (mine being one of them). Hardly any charging stations here, but I'm putting one in my garage. It will be our daily commuter car as we travel less than 20km/day round trip. I am hoping I can get it down to Kingston at some point to show friends/family down there.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Blueridge9

Re: (jake75)

Post by Blueridge9 »

Sputnik, Did you get your reserved Leaf yet? They finally have ONE model at the dealership near me but when I went to see it the local TV station had borrowed it for a review. I do hope to testdrive the Leaf soon.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Blueridge9 »Sputnik, Did you get your reserved Leaf yet? They finally have ONE model at the dealership near me but when I went to see it the local TV station had borrowed it for a review. I do hope to testdrive the Leaf soon. I have it reserved and on order! We paid the reservation fee and last week we went and completed the purchase paperwork and put down $500 towards the down payment.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

You know whats weird? I can't actually see the second page of this thread and the main page says there's only three replies in here. The only way I see the second page of replies is by hitting reply and then scrolling through the quotes below the reply box. Weird!
GenVibe Global Moderator

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

My Leaf is in Vancouver!! Can't wait for it to arrive!
GenVibe Global Moderator

03VibeOttawa

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics on here
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
Sputnik

Re: Nissan Leaf (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by Sputnik »

Oh there will definitely be pics. Lots of pics. Next Friday is the charging dock installation, so I'm likely to start by posting pics of it.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Sputnik

Re:

Post by Sputnik »

Charging dock installed today (still waiting for car).
GenVibe Global Moderator

Blueridge9

Re: Re: (Sputnik)

Post by Blueridge9 »

Sputnik, Thanks for the pics of the charger station home install. You are part of the revolution against gasoline and emissions and I salute your courage. I hope your all electric Leaf arrives soon! You will NEVER have to go to the gas station again...trying to imagine .......how nice that would be.....just charge up at home.
ColonelPanic

Re: Re: (Blueridge9)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Blueridge9 »You are part of the revolution against gasoline and emissions and I salute your courage. Definitely. Thanks for doing your part for the environment, and thanks for being an early adopter. The sooner we can get more folks driving these things, the sooner we'll all get to enjoy this technology.Looking forward to seeing a full report.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Sputnik

Re: Re: (Blueridge9)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Blueridge9 »Sputnik, Thanks for the pics of the charger station home install. You are part of the revolution against gasoline and emissions and I salute your courage. I hope your all electric Leaf arrives soon! You will NEVER have to go to the gas station again...trying to imagine .......how nice that would be.....just charge up at home. I am most looking forward to no oil changes... less trips (hopefully) to the dealer for maintenance. Although having a car so new/different you never know. People will poo-poo EVs all they want but I really believe they will be the car of the future. I'm sure people poo-pooed gasoline powered cars when they were first created, but they sure did catch on. ;P
GenVibe Global Moderator

Sputnik

Re: Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Sputnik »

My Leaf is now in Montreal! I'm thinking I'll have it next week... dealer has asked for it to be sent down to Ottawa asap
GenVibe Global Moderator