More New Car Decisions

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Whelan

More New Car Decisions

Post by Whelan »

As you can see my options vary from hatch to wagons to sedan and luxury and mainstream. Basically I think I may ditch the CPO offerings as it is almost near impossible to find a CPO (from the dealer) model I'm looking for with a manual. That and my fiance hates both those options (not a wagon/hatch fan, lol). Not that it matters all that much because as she says "It's your car".The Focus ST while almost a year out would be a great and fun option but I think it will be more performance than the DD/future family hauler/grocery getter that I am looking for with a bit a fun.Not to mention the Ford, BMW, and Volvo all will cost me probably at or a little over 30k once I get one with the options I am looking for, financing, fees, etc. And the insurance on those will definitely be a jump from what I pay now. That brings me to the new GLI. A sedan with a large backseat (kids seats can fit nicely), good trunk space, a 200hp turbo 4 with a 6MT. And the GLI is the Euro spec Jetta which means it gets the upgraded suspension and interior appointments seen on the overseas Jetta. It is also to me a good looking car without being too overdone. Something I can drive casually and still have fun with. Not to mention with the whole package and basically all options checked that I require, the car sits just below $27k. And it would be my first NEW car. My only gripes are it lacks HID headlights and LED tails, but I think those are things I can easily get over given everything else this car offers for the price.The purchase comes end of year, early next and I would love to get it in a flat (VW calls it Candy White) with a lip spoiler.So, thoughts?FYI the Matrix has been doing good, 130k on the clock and alls well. It's just not fun to drive and leaves me feeling like I'm missing out sometimes.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Re: More New Car Decisions (Whelan)

Post by lovemyraffe »

VW!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Does your Matrix have an auto transmission? If you have a stick I don't know how it CAN'T be fun. I love mine.If you need to change from an auto to a stick maybe you should look for a 2009-10 Vibe manual. I love mine. I don't go auto crossing or anything, but I enjoy driving it every time. I recommend the 2.4L for a fun, torquey engine. Once I get it lowered it will be even more fun I suspect.As for the VW, I will note that:1. Not as good looking as the prior model - but that is personal preference.2. I have heard that VW really cheaped out on the interior in order to help move the price downmarket. Check it out for yourself.3. VW reliability. YMMV and I admit never to owning one, just observing them and seeing what Consumer Reports has to say.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

If you were going to end up with a sedan anyway, I'd seriously consider the new Hyundai Elantra or Sonata with a stick. At least check them out and see what you think. You get soooo much for your money with a Hyundai (and I think the Elantra just won a Car and Driver comparo of small sedans).http://www.caranddriver.com/re...testsEh, I was wrong. The finish order was:1. Focus2. Mazda 33. Elantra4. Chevy Cruze5. VW JettaAh, well after reading up on the comparison, and trying to "build your own" Hyundai, I think you might actually be happiest with the Jetta. The Hyundai's only offer their base models with M/T and the Jetta does have a good engine and suspension so it would give you the fun you want. As it is new, reliability will be less of a factor. Looks wise, other than the front grille/lights, I think it is a very handsome car and looks really great from the rear 3/4 view.I am surprised to hear that the Focus will be close to $30k. All that said, and if you aren't interested in an Elantra Touring (the wagon that you can get the upscale car w/the M/T) I think you may be happiest in the VW.I voted for the Ford, BTW.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
Whelan

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by Whelan »

[QUOTE=Kincaid]Does your Matrix have an auto transmission? If you have a stick I don't know how it CAN'T be fun. I love mine.If you need to change from an auto to a stick maybe you should look for a 2009-10 Vibe manual. I love mine. I don't go auto crossing or anything, but I enjoy driving it every time. I recommend the 2.4L for a fun, torquey engine. Once I get it lowered it will be even more fun I suspect.As for the VW, I will note that:Quote »I'm not too keen on buying a car that is no longer produced. Not being mean, just personal preference. And the new designs don't really appeal to me. My Matrix is the XR AWD so it's an auto. Every car I had prior to this has been stick (2 Sautrn SL-1's 92, 94. And 02 Civic EX Coupe). [quote]1. Not as good looking as the prior model - but that is personal preference.1. I like it better than the last model MKV. Those reminded me too much of a Corolla with a long tooth grille. The new ones look more sophisticated and grown up with a nice clean line. Almost boring to some, but Audi-esque to me.Quote »2. I have heard that VW really cheaped out on the interior in order to help move the price downmarket. Check it out for yourself.2. While this is true of the current MKVI US Jetta. The GLI is coming in full Euro garb; soft touch dash, seats, independent rear suspension, etc, etc. It will basically be what is offered on the oversease versions, so a good upgrade.Quote »3. VW reliability. YMMV and I admit never to owning one, just observing them and seeing what Consumer Reports has to say.3. CR has never been anything I rely very heavily on. I actually don't recall when I last used the magazine to help me buy a car. I have been slightly spoiled by the no-frills maintenance and reliability of the Matrix thus far. But I do know that the 2.0T in it's current garb with the TSI (as opposed to the FSI offered in pre 2008 models) is a really good engine used across the lineup in both VW's and Audi's.As for the C&D comparison test, it utilized a Jetta TDI against gasoline cars instead of the 2.5 SEL. Also as stated above the GLI is really a different beast with the turbo motor and interior appointments, and still is being reported to achieve 30-31mpg. My Matrix averages 26 because of the slushbox and AWD weight.I am really pondering keeping the Matrix and not selling/trading it. The A/C doesn't work, it may need brakes sometime this year if I keep it. I just put new tires on it as well. But I am thinking of dropping it on either 6 month or yearly with basic collision only and making it the winter work commute beater and stuff hauler.Also, you can't get a Focus Titanium or Elantra (whatever the upper trim level is) in a stick. Having 6 gears to row is a must, as is a car that can do 0-60 solidly in under 8 seconds. The GLI last generation was rated at 6.4, this model has shed over 100lbs. I do care about 0-60 because the parkway I take to work requires you stop before entering with about 50 feet of merge ramp before your on a two lane highway. Try merging into traffic with a car that hits 60 in 11 seconds on a flat and doing it each day on an uphill.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
star_deceiver

Re: (Whelan)

Post by star_deceiver »

Wait and buy the Ford...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Whelan

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by Whelan »

My issue with the ST and Focus is that it is going to have a much more cramped backseat than the Jetta. Not having children down the road kick the back of my seat and the ease of getting car seats (the big quick lock in style) into the car and carrying adults comfortably is another priority.My other concern is that the pricing is expected to be in the upper 20's for a base model and can exceed 30k if optioned appropriately to my desires. That and I can guarantee insurance will be higher.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
03VibeOttawa

Re: More New Car Decisions (Whelan)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

I'm the loan BMW voter at this point, for the X-drive, handling, and design/build quality. They're pretty much all fine choices though, I like them all except the Jetta GLI. They consume an excessive amount of fuel, and are overpriced compared to the entry-level Bimmers and Benzes. Slightly off topic, but yesterday I saw a very rare model parked near my office that made me stop and drool for about a minute. It was an E46 325xi wagon, with the six speed. Pretty much one of my under $30k dream cars.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
Whelan

Re: More New Car Decisions (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by Whelan »

That was the first type I looks at actually, but I want to stay somewhat newer. My problem with both the Volvo and BMW is finding one with a 6 speed that also does not have wood trim (I like aluminum/black) and has things like Bi-xenon lamps. I know it sounds crazy since I'm willing to forego that on the GLI, but for a BMW or other luxury car, I expect those items to be practically standard.That and with the mileage I would like (15k or less), I am most likely not looking at a sub 30 Bimmer. All I have seen are ones with 20-40k on the clock going for 30k and up.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

Do you want a GTI? I think it has great back seat room too but don't have a trunk. The GLI is nice too since it's got the better suspension and better interior compared to the regular jettas but I'm not a real big fan of the new jetta's look, maybe it'll grow on me. My neighbor has the new jetta and I think the old one looks better, more euro looking than the new one.Out of your list, the vw is the only one I like hahaMazda 3 GT will be a nice one, or maybe get the new dodge charger =D those things are a beast!
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
DeClerq

Re: (lowincash)

Post by DeClerq »

I vote Volvo. My parents have had at least one Volvo since 1981, and have owned two concurrently since 1989. An '81 240 wagon, '89 740, 2 early 2000's S60 (don't know the exact years), and currently own a S60 T5 and a 2010 C70 convertible. No major problems with any of them (except for my brother, who totaled the 740) and they last forever, the 240 and 740 had well over 200k on them.I've always wanted a V70R myself.Anyway, like you said, good luck finding a V50 how you want it. A quick search on cars.com listed 216 V50's nation-wide, and only 5 of those had a manual.Here's one close to you (sort-of): http://www.cars.com/go/search/...ional
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
Whelan

Re: (DeClerq)

Post by Whelan »

The GTI while nice has very little in the area of cargo room. At least compared to dedicated trunk space in the Jetta. The Jetta also looks to be roomier in feel.As for the Volvo, I saw that one as well. Needle in a haystack since the one I am looking at (BMW included) was more an enthusiast than a mainstream car so I am sure the owners are keeping them.A V70 R is kinda a wet dream for me, but unless I was getting it as a third car for fun I wouldn't jump on it. The mileage on them is getting somewhat high and I need a low mileage, new car for many reasons more.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Another option:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_VelosterTiny engine...but it does have a 6 speed manual ;-)
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Did you make a decision yet?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

My Son In Law is into "fun cars" and when his wife was with child he realized that the 2 door sports car days were ending for him. After MONTHS of searching, test driving, researching and frequent mind changing, he settled on the VW Passat. Roomy, 4 doors, sporty, and he is thrilled!If you do a search on reviews for the Passat, what often rises to the surface is that IF you need a 4 door family sedan and you really WANT a sports car.... this is THE car to drive.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Whelan

Re: (djkeev)

Post by Whelan »

see my other post here. Ordered a 2012 VW Jetta GLI Autobahn 6MT with Appearance Package in Platinum Gray Metallichttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=44616
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT