Hyundai Elantra Touring Wagon

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
tnpartsguy

Hyundai Elantra Touring Wagon

Post by tnpartsguy »

Well, I'm thinking very serious about trading. My wife is trading her VW Jetta for a Santa Fe. I drove the Touring wagon and man! it's not AWD, but it IS I.R.S!!I'm so disappointed that GM killed Pontiac, and to be honest, I drove an '09 Vibe and wasn't impressed.My '06 AWD only has 34K on it, but it's beginning to have some creaks and rattles.The ETW I'm looking at is very well equipped. It's a SE, and has every option but leather (it still DOES have heated seats, though).Any one have any opinions?
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
star_deceiver

Re: Hyundai Elantra Touring Wagon (tnpartsguy)

Post by star_deceiver »

I'm not sure...Hyundai's never done anything for me, styling wiseWhich 09 did you test because I have to agree with you, 2.4 + slushbox = BORING (even with the top gear limiter).
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Welcome to the dark side. You'll love that 60k / 100k warranty.BTW...what is I.R.S.?I would have bought the Elantra Touring if the Rondo wasn't an option. Since 2001, we have owned 4 Hyundai / Kia products. Not one has needed a major repair. I traded in the Elantra with 105k on the odometer, and my wife's Sonata had 88k on it. (I'm still mad she got rid of that thing with less than 100k miles on it). I had just replaced the rear hub assemblies ($75 each) and the car was as quiet and smooth running as the day we bought it.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The Elantra Touring wagon is on my short list of cars I'd like to trade for but can't/won't until mine is paid off. Sadly I haven't driven one but have read several good reviews about the car. It was built for Europe so it's probably a nice car to drive. It has an air conditioned glove compartment, that should seal the deal right there. Were you looking at an auto or manual? The manual even comes with a B&M sport shifter thingy. Only crappy thing is the timing belt, you have to factor an extra $400 or so every 60k for replacements. Otherwise it's a pretty solid powertrain, that engine has been around for years. On paper it's underpowered compared to the 2.4 Vibe but it's a bit more fuel efficient.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jake75

Re: Hyundai Elantra Touring Wagon (ColonelPanic)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »The Elantra Touring wagon is on my short list of cars I'd like to trade for but can't/won't until mine is paid off. Sadly I haven't driven one but have read several good reviews about the car. It was built for Europe so it's probably a nice car to drive. It has an air conditioned glove compartment, that should seal the deal right there. Were you looking at an auto or manual? The manual even comes with a B&M sport shifter thingy. Only crappy thing is the timing belt, you have to factor an extra $400 or so every 60k for replacements. Otherwise it's a pretty solid powertrain, that engine has been around for years. On paper it's underpowered compared to the 2.4 Vibe but it's a bit more fuel efficient.On my short list as well based on what I saw at last years auto show - costs about what the Matrix would today, or less, but of course not as good as the fire sale Vibe prices with generous dealer discounts, GM rebates and GM Card money etc. It only comes in a higher trim level so it is much nicer than the basic Elantra.My '09 Vibe is going to last many years so I may never get the Elantra Touring. By 2015 there will be other alternative I am sure. I might even get another opportunity to "steal one" from GM at almost 40% off msrp. It would take me about overt ten years to reach 60,000 miles so the timing belt replacement cost is not an issue.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

It's an Automatic, I'm getting too old to stir the transmission every day. It's quite a bit better on gas than the AWD Vibe. The SE comes with a lot of neat toys. We now own the local Hyundai store, so I get a great price... plus it's been on the ground about 6 months, they are ready to move it. I'm just sick over the value of the Vibe, every discount and rebate I'm going to get buying the Hyundai is going to offset the lost value of the Vibe.
tnpartsguy

Re: Hyundai Elantra Touring Wagon (Tubaryan12)

Post by tnpartsguy »

Independant Rear Suspinsion - same as the AWD Vibes. Handles a ton better than the solid beam FWD and GT's.
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

34K miles is nothing for a Vibe, should be good for quite a bit longer. You've already suffered the depreciation, why not keep it?My son has my 03 Vibe GT at school, still going strong, I would guess the mileage is now in the 70K range.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

for Hyundai.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Vibe_dude

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by Vibe_dude »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe » for Hyundai. ++++++++++++++++++++++1
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

Hyundai must be doing something right though seeing how they managed to keep themselves above water while even the Honyotas of the world found themselves in massive sales slumps over the last year. Almost at 60k with the Accent, and for it to be their cheapest, throwaway car I've only had a fuse box door, window molding and brake light switch replaced under warranty. Still tight, runs great, not many squeaks or rattles. Night and day difference compared to where my Vibe was at this mileage.

Image Image
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

I don't know about some others on here, but I find the 2.4 with the "slushbox" plenty entertaining to drive - and much more enjoyable when stuck in traffic compared to the manuals I drove for years. I really like the power it has for merging with traffic or passing. It instills a level of confidence I didn't have when I tried the 1.8. I also drove an Elantra Touring the day before trying the Vibe. I would say the 2L in the Hyundai is comparable in performance to the 1.8 in the Vibe. Although it worked - the engine/transmission combo didn't stir any excitement for me at all. The main thing I didn't like on the Elantra was the steering feel when simply driving straight ahead. It had a very stiff and strange feel to it - where the Vibe's feel much smoother as I've always been used to.A large consideration for me was also towing ability. Although they are both rated to tow, the extra torque and the extra gear in the automatic seem to make the 2.4 much better suited to the job. I also like the huge brakes that come with the 2.4. I can have over 1,000 pounds on the back, and barely notice it when stopping. It always feels adequate for power as well - which was a nice change from my old 2.2 Sunfire.I did like some features better in the Elantra's interior (mainly the trip computer, and some "nicer" materials) - but I prefered the mechanical ventilation controls in the Vibe over their electronic push button variety. Just another thing I may have to fix one day IMHO.For the price without discounts - I'd say the Elantra includes more than the Vibe did - but I had a GM Visa and employee discount available (through family) - plus they had another $2500 off - so it made it a little unfair for the Hyundai.As for Hyundai's reputation - I hear mixed things. Many people seem to be quite satisfied with theirs - but I have two friends at work who haven't been quite so lucky. One had a 2002 Elantra they got rid of when the second transmission started acting up, and another friend has been sinking a lot of money into his 2003 Accent this year. He's had to have it towed home 4 times this year for various reasons - lately because it simply wouldn't start. It wouldn't even engage the fuel pump relay - and even after we jumpered that it still wouldn't go. Now that it had a 60km ride on the tow truck - it works fine - and the shop can't get it to fail. The car's barely at 200,000km, and already it's had the engine, steering rack, steering pump, alternator and starter replaced that I know of. The transmission fluid doesn't look healthy either. It's been maintained properly since new (one owner) - but started being a pain as soon as the warranty was done. I know it's just one example - but it's one I see every day. Because I put on a lot of km compared to average (about 35k per year) - it concerns me. I hope to get at least 10-12 years (hopefully more) out of a new car - and I don't want to have to spend all of my time and/or money working on it!I feel a bit bad for my friend with the Accent too. Based on their improving reputation I recommended it to him when he asked me before buying it. Unfortunately it hasn't met either of our expectations. I almost bought one in 2002 myself - and now I'm glad I didn't.Just my experiences. I've worked on older Toyota products and found their workmanship and material choices to be very good - so that helped steer me in my choice as well. All companies change over time - I just hope that this car stands up as well as other Toyotas I've seen over the years. Once I see Hyundai's doing the same - I'll reconsider.On a separate issue - although I know a significant portion of the components in the Vibe are imported - at least the final assembly was done here in North America. I prefer to spend my money on N.A. made products whenever possible - as long as the quality is at least comparable. Being a resident of Southern Ontario lets me see just how important these assembly jobs are to our economy. Everybody around here has either a family member or neighbor that's involved somehow. Not a lot of really happy people right now. Hopefully things continue to improve for them. It seems to be looking better lately.Sorry for running slightly off-topic - but it was still directly related as to why I made my final purchase decision.John
jake75

Re: (j42.snyder)

Post by jake75 »

I think Hyundai's quality has vastly improved since 2002.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I was "in the market" for a new car since about 2004 before I finally bought the 2009 Vibe. Something (financial) always made me put it off.Anyway, in the last "cycle" of car shopping I narrowed it down in order to:1. Mazda 52. Hyundai Elantra Touring3. Pontiac VibeThe Mazda won out because it sat six, was available in a stick shift and had the largest cargo capacity.I liked the Touring very much. Lots of standard equipment, nice materials, good build quality. I first saw one an auto show two years ago - lowered and painted it looked awesome. It had significantly more cargo space than the Vibe.The Vibe was no slouch, but it won at the end of the day due to over all cost (got it for $14,543). I am only making $250/month pmts which fit in my budget very well.Anyway, I thought the Hyundai drove great. It gets a from me!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

The Elentra is out. Took an extended test drive and just couldn't get comfortable in the seat, PLUS my knee kept hitting the seat heat switch.I am looking at the Santa Fe now. It's funny, I wouldn't have considered one before, but that was what my wife wanted so we drove it. I really, really was impressed by it, so that's probably what I'll end up with.Done Deal. Got the Santa Fe SE at 11 this morning. Not sure what to do with all the toys on it....
TONY TAT2

Re: (tnpartsguy)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Quote, originally posted by tnpartsguy ».I am looking at the Santa Fe now. It's funny, I wouldn't have considered one before, but that was what my wife wanted so we drove it. Ya,, I try to keep the wife happy also. Keeps the ground up glass outa my food ! Congrats on the Fe !
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
jake75

Re: (TONY TAT2)

Post by jake75 »

The Saturn VUE now has a $6,500 rebate plus dealer discount. Worth a look I think
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's really cool, partsguy. The Santa Fe is a really nice vehicle too, can't really go wrong there either. Now, give us a complete write-up consisting of specs, a thorough review and lots of pics.

Image Image
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

It's funny how some cars just aren't right for a person. I remember how much I wanted to love the Nissan 240SX - but sitting in it was such a disappointment. Just didn't feel right. Had a Grand Am once as a rental - didn't sit right in it either.Bottom line is you want a car that every time you approach it in the parking lot you fall in love with it all over again.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ColonelPanic

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid » Had a Grand Am once as a rental - didn't sit right in it either.Had one as a rental myself, one of the last model year GA's - by the time I was only a couple miles from the dealer I was in significant discomfort. Nope, couldn't live with that on a daily basis!Quote »Bottom line is you want a car that every time you approach it in the parking lot you fall in love with it all over again.So true! And one that you're kinda bummed to get out of once you're where you want to go. Not to mention you have to keep looking back at it as you walk away.

Image Image
tnpartsguy

Re: (jake75)

Post by tnpartsguy »

I wouldn't look at a Saturn for ANY price. Remember Oldsmobile? 5 yrs later, and the parts supply is nearly gone. No interior trim left, a lot of the body parts are gone... and that was a mainline GM brand! Saturn parts were kept separate, and GM still has no idea how to get them out to the mainstream dealers. They are actually asking Chevy dealers to PAY to become a Saturn parts & service provider!! The demise of my precious Pontiac brand had a lot to do with my descion to trade for the Hyundai - I don't trust GM to have parts for that car when I got it paid off.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Granted, Hyundai's depreciation (while steadily improving) certainly isn't the best in the industry, but the Vue would be even worse... An absolute nightmare with depreciation no matter how cheap you got it at the start. Nobody will want to buy something from a defunct brand a few years down the road. Factor in the parts difficulties and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the long term.I worry a little about the Vibe too, not sure if we'll be able to get body parts God forbid it ever needs them. Mechanically you're OK as long as Toyota still produces the parts but if you need anything Pontiac-specific in a couple years (if not sooner,) good luck. I see plenty of Oldsmobiles that can't get repaired after accidents. It's a lot more comfortable to know you have something from a stable manufacturer who will be around for parts later on down the road. Hyundai's doing alright, no worries there.

Image Image
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

Hyundai's looks are improving too. I wouldn't have looked at a Santa Fe until the 09 came out. The 2010 Tucson looks awesome, but it's too new.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Pictures?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by tnpartsguy »Hyundai's looks are improving too. I wouldn't have looked at a Santa Fe until the 09 came out. The 2010 Tucson looks awesome, but it's too new.This gen Santie is much better than the first that looked a bit cartoonish and the way they shaped the rear doors (like somebody kicked the crap out of the bottom of them) always bugged me. The resdesigned Tucson sure is a pretty ride... (And likewise with the upcoming YF Sonata, beautiful cars) Can't wait to see them up close. But yes, very new! Can't be any worse than GM with the new car bugs though. hahaha

Image Image
Tubaryan12

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

holy crap! the 2010 Hyundai Tucson looks great.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Beautiful... Love the color!

Image Image
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

My ex-Vibe is sold. Talked to the new owner last night, he's flying in tomarrow from Colorado and is going to drive it back. Seemed like a nice enough guy, he's not as crazy about the Vibe as most of us are, but my old car suited him to a 'T'. Low miles, 1 owner and almost reverant care for the car sold him on it.I'll have a Vibe again some day. I've already had 2.... I'll find an AWD in monotone Envy that's cheap enough, and had it as a 2nd car...that's the ticket!!