Interesting MARKETWATCH Article - 2010 cars etc.

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
jake75

Interesting MARKETWATCH Article - 2010 cars etc.

Post by jake75 »

DAMASCUS, MD (MarketWatch) -- The new year is already here as far as cars areconcerned and the ball has dropped, taking the wraps of some promising new wheels.1. Ford TaurusThe Taurus has gotten a makeover and congratulations to Ford for making it look fresh. Theinterior is very modern with the center console sweeping into the interior. It is quiet andcomfortable. The base model comes with a 263 horsepower Duratec V-6 rated at 18-28 mpgand mated to a 6-speed automatic. Front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive is the buyer's choice.I had a chance to drive the higher performance version, the SHO, and it had plenty ofacceleration and was most comfortable. It gets a twin turbocharged V-6 that bangs out 365horsepower with a zero to 60 time in the 5-second range. However, the SHO also carries ahefty $40,000 price tag. The base model starts at $25,170 with a nice list of standardequipment.Bottom line: Ford's big bet for this auto year.2. Chevrolet EquinoxThis CRV/RAV4 competitor got a stem-to-stern makeover -- picking up a 4-cylinder enginealong the way, and a fancier interior. Just in time, too, as the move to crossover vehiclespicks up what new-car steam there is out there. The inline 4 is good for 182 horsepower. Itcomes with a 6-speed automatic and that will net you an EPA rating of 22-32 mpg. A morepowerful V-6 is also in the mix.The Equinox maintains its two-row seating and comes with front-wheel or all-wheel drive.The base price is $23,185.Bottom line: Can it attract Honda and Toyota trade ins?3. Buick LacrosseThis new Buick faces an uphill battle against the competition, such as the Lexus, and anotheruphill fight to lure younger customers into the Buick showroom.While I am content to leave the outside styling analysis to you, the interior of this car haswon praise far and wide. The wrap-around dash looks fresh and, heavenly day, an adult ortwo can fit in the back seat. A four- and a six-cylinder engine are offered with the base modelstarting at almost $28,000 and the top of the line CXS at $33,765.Bottom line: It surprised many people when GM decided to hang on to Buick. Here's the firstanswer as to what they intend to do with it.4. Mazdaspeed 3The speedster of the 3 line gets the same styling makeover as the plain Mazda 3, completewith the big grin up front. But it is under the hood where matters differ. The Mazdaspeededition gets a 2.3-liter turbocharged 4 that bangs out 263 horsepower. Look for zero to 60times in the upper 5-second range, along with crisp handling and an affordable price of$23,195 for the base model. It is EPA rated at 20-28 mpg. Bottom line: They didn't change much but the styling, but everything else was OK.5. Subaru LegacyHere is another car that got a redesign for 2010. The Legacy got a bit bigger, with thewheelbase up 3 inches to 108. Rear seat room benefited here along with trunk space.A 170-horsepower four is the base engine. With a CVT transmission, the Legacy sips gas atan EPA-rated 23-31 mpg. The base price is just shy of $20,000 and that, of course, also getsyou the well-known all-wheel drive, something that will be handy in the winter weather manyof us face in another few months.Bottom line: The Suby moves up in classy appearance and interior with still attractive pricing.A bonus look at a car slated for next year: 2011 Ford FiestaIf the move in this country is toward smaller cars, as many believe, the Fiesta should fit rightin. A hit in Europe, the Fiesta has a very nice interior that is both modern and cool. It zippednicely around inner-city traffic in a brief test drive and seemed well screwed together.The base engine is a 118 horsepower four with a 5-speed manual tranny. It is EPA rated at28-38 miles per gallon. The Fiesta is shorter than a Focus and just a delight to park with 19fewer inches to fit in the available space. It has been Ford's best selling car in Europe.Bottom line: The Blue Oval's big bet for 2011. Once again, the Mercury brand gets nothing of its own, and in fact, there will be noSable model of the new Taurus. A Ford spokesman insisted to me that, "We have no intentionof discontinuing Mercury," but he was virtually whispering. Won't it be interesting to see how the new 4-door Porsche Panamera sells? Early testersin Europe say it is all Porsche. Lincoln's MKT gets the 2010 award for the biggest grill. Just flip it over sideways andyou could cook the biggest steak in the world. I think it is much better looking than theLincoln crossovers, which looked like an old AMC up front. In a meeting with reporters, Toyota's new North American chief was discussing ways theautomaker could spice up its lineup. As a lover of the old Mister Two, I suggested a sportscar would do it. "Sports car (!)" he said with an amazed look on his face, as if someone justsuggested a merger with Trabant, the old Russian car company. A few days later, heconfirmed Toyota would make one.Finally, let us all hope the worldwide auto industry rebounds in the New Year.Vehicles tested in this column are on loan from the auto companies through local distributors.Ron Amadon is an auto writer and morning news anchor on the MarketWatch Radio Network,based in Washington.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Whelan

Re: Interesting MARKETWATCH Article - 2010 cars etc. (jake75)

Post by Whelan »

The new Taurus is getting some great reviews thus far. It will be interesting to see long-term tests and comparos when they come out in a month or two.The Equinox was a good seller in the previous generation for those not wanting a CUV/small SUV that was too girly (Rav 4, CR-V). The new Equinox is nice, but for me I would take the GMC Terrain all day in Merlot red with black leather and the V6 AWD. MMMMM.Buick LaCrosse just had a commercial out comparing it directly to the Lexus ES. Let's see what happens, very promising from looks and styling.MS3 is basically a sheetmetal change, not a fan of the taillamps or the over-sized smiling grille. The last gen was understated and fit in for those not wanting the total boy-racer look that you get with the likes of the Cobalt SS and Civic Si. No 300hp AWD in the update leaves me looking elsewhere for my next car.People have complained about the Legacy getting boring or too-big. Subaru needed to move it up to compete more directly. And I like it personally. It looks more upscale and almost Mercedes-ish in design.Ford Fiesta/Verve should sell well, if they would get the brass and at the same time release the Euro Focus and give us the more powerful versions I would be happy.Lincoln and Mercury are a yawn. And as for Toyota, how about the need to NOT dumb down every car. The Matrix XRS/Vibe GT got a 184hp 2.4L engine. Woohoo, they are now on par with the Scion tC. No offense to current owners, I just was very disappointed to see them ditch a powerful car. Giving a major update 4 more hp to compete in price with the MS3, Civic Si, WRX, etc. was a big miss. The smaller engine got the appropriate update so where were they with some power? I just don't see why Toyota cannot offer TRD versions of cars. Something more than wheels, suspension and exhausts, make a TRD version like the Matrix TRD (not Canadian version), where it gets a power boost to go with it. a 2.4L 4cylinder engine is VERY capable of producing upwards of 250hp plus with not too many crazy changes. A supercharger or turbo would fit nicely.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ou.grizzly

Re: Interesting MARKETWATCH Article - 2010 cars etc. (Whelan)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »And as for Toyota, how about the need to NOT dumb down every car. The Matrix XRS/Vibe GT got a 184hp 2.4L engine. Woohoo, they are now on par with the Scion tC. No offense to current owners, I just was very disappointed to see them ditch a powerful car. Giving a major update 4 more hp to compete in price with the MS3, Civic Si, WRX, etc. was a big miss. The smaller engine got the appropriate update so where were they with some power? I just don't see why Toyota cannot offer TRD versions of cars. Something more than wheels, suspension and exhausts, make a TRD version like the Matrix TRD (not Canadian version), where it gets a power boost to go with it. a 2.4L 4cylinder engine is VERY capable of producing upwards of 250hp plus with not too many crazy changes. A supercharger or turbo would fit nicely. 2.4L in the Vibe/Matrix is 154 hp right? Well, TRD d/c the S/C for the 2.4L from my understanding... ??
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

the buick is a rebadged caddy!!
michaelgt

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by michaelgt »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »the buick is a rebadged caddy!!What are you talking about? There is currently no rebadged Caddy in the Buick line.
kowell

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by kowell »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »the buick is a rebadged caddy!!The new LaCrosse is based on the Opel Insignia, which also serves as the basis for the 2010 Saab 9-5.No caddies were harmed or even involved in their making.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I like the Subaru - but don't trust their reliability and quality.The new Taurus misses the mark for me, somehow. Wish I could pin point why. I saw the Car and Driver cover with the new flanked by two older SHO's. Made the new one look like an Outback - it is huge and tall looking.As for the Equinox (I like it) and the Terrain (not so much), I doubt they'll steal many from Honda or Toyota.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

2010 taurus sho ftw!!! the potential in that TT v6 w/ awd should be sweeeet it just costs 40k+ the new ms3 has new gearing and new suspesion along with a need appearance and hood scoop that supposedly supply's better airflow to the TMIC.
DeClerq

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by DeClerq »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »I like the Subaru - but don't trust their reliability and quality.I've owned 3 subarus: '02 RS, '04 Forester XT, and an '06 Legacy. Never had a problem with any of them. Still kicking myself everyday for getting rid of the XT
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package