Project Cars

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
DarkVibe

Project Cars

Post by DarkVibe »

who has them, and who wants them?i was on ebay (which always gets me into trouble) looking for aftermarket parts for the Vibe (i didn't find any), but i did find a 1985 black Trans Am... it needs some work, and it was in FL, i know i can find something in NY, but this has been my dream car.and i was wondering for those of you who have project cars:what to look for (damages, etc.),what am i getting myself into,and do you have to know a lot about cars, or is an ok/general knowledge fine?or, should i get buddy buddy with a mechanic?if i do get one, this is what it would look like when i'm done...
2009 Red Vibe GT auto
NibCrom

Re: Project Cars (DarkVibe)

Post by NibCrom »

It would be cool to make a real life version of Hot Rod from Transformers:http://powet.tv/2006/12/15/tra...-life/
kunkstyle

Re: Project Cars (NibCrom)

Post by kunkstyle »

I wouldn't mind getting an old Nova or Chevelle.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
breezd

Post by breezd »

I have always dreamt of having a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Aire.... Someday....
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
Mavrik

Re: (breezd)

Post by Mavrik »

I'm wanting to build a nice autocross/drag race car out of a late 90s Subaru Impreza RS coupe. just waiting for a friend to sell me his.When it comes to project cars you definatly need to have a goal of what it will look like and all that when its done. I would even suggest that you not even start the project until you have the funds to complete most of the major stuff. Nothing like getting the car, tearing it down and then it sits all apart for a while. You really lose track of stuff then.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
808 Vibes

Re: (breezd)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Gorgeous! I always loved PMD's High Tech Turbo wheels (and the snowflake on the older ones)
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
NascarXprt

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by NascarXprt »

i have two dream project cars.#1 is a 1970 Pontiac GTO The Judge, black with the 455#2 a 1995 Toyota MR2 twin Turbo
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
kevera

Post by kevera »

I can go on for hours on this subject,but I won't.The big thing to look for with the camaro/firebirds is rust.Make sure the trunk,rear quarters aren't rusted threw.Oh and around the rear springs as they tend to sag then.I would opt for the Florida car if you want less work,since winter takes it's toll on a car.But just make sure the project you buy is as complete as possible,it will save some searching for the odd ball stuff.Engine wise you'll be fine,since that's probably a 350,and there are tons of them around,and can be built relatively cheap.A project car is a great way to learn about wrenching on cars,buy a few books,read up on the web and you should be fine.Just remember it will be a money pit,and the money you invest won't all come back to you.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Raven

Re: Project Cars (kevera)

Post by Raven »

I bought one of my dream cars last Saturday. It's a 1992 Subaru SVX. It needs some work but it is 100% rust free and it was dirt cheap. For a rust free car Nevada, New Mexico, Texas etc. are excellent too because there is no salt air either. You have to look for sun burnt interiors and vinyl roofs though. If they were stored outside they can be pretty crispy.
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

my current (and 1st ever, really) project is restoring my 90 VW Golf GL Wolfsburg ed. It's going to be a money pit, but the car was free from the start and between the Golf and the Vibe i've learned more about wrenching on cars then I ever thought that I would. Definitely walk into it with eyes wide open, and realize what you're getting into. Once you've gotten past that, and if it really is a labor of love then you won't mind spending the ducat on it.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Merzbow

Post by Merzbow »

That would be a sharp looking firebird I always wanted to build a rat-rod. Either using the body of a 1938 Ford pickup, a 1930 Ford sedan, or a 1932 Chevy. Such a simple idea and as long as you build it strong and can find a nice big block or something it could be insanely fast I can't wait!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
DarkSpork

Post by DarkSpork »

I'd like to buy a VW Bug from the early 70s and put a larger than stock engine (such as a 1776 or 1914) in it. Of course I'd want to make it look good too. One of my friends had a 72 bug with a 1776 engine and it was tons of fun, not the best looking car, but fun. Too bad he crashed it. Something like this in a dark gray color.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
Sublimewind

Re: Project Cars (Raven)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »I bought one of my dream cars last Saturday. It's a 1992 Subaru SVX. It needs some work but it is 100% rust free and it was dirt cheap. For a rust free car Nevada, New Mexico, Texas etc. are excellent too because there is no salt air either. You have to look for sun burnt interiors and vinyl roofs though. If they were stored outside they can be pretty crispy.NICE SCORE.... The ugly duckling of Subaru... Killer car, but the "quirkyness" of it made is short lived... If you aren't on NASIOC get registered... I'm Aaron'z 2.5RS there.. Quote, originally posted by Merzbow »That would be a sharp looking firebird I always wanted to build a rat-rod. Either using the body of a 1938 Ford pickup, a 1930 Ford sedan, or a 1932 Chevy. Such a simple idea and as long as you build it strong and can find a nice big block or something it could be insanely fast I can't wait!I'd LOVE to build a Rat Rod myself... I recently devised a way of doing it, without finding a "old" car... Build one out of an old S-10... All that would be needed would be the cab, frame and motor... it would be "new-old retro"... lol..
DarkVibe

Re: Project Cars (Sublimewind)

Post by DarkVibe »

thanks for all the advice! everyone's project cars look cool, i hope we all get them lol. one more question, should i look for a TA in the same color i want it, or can i just get a different color and repaint it black?
2009 Red Vibe GT auto
Merzbow

Post by Merzbow »

black is such a dark color, it is generally cheaper to repaint onto a lighter color as opposed to painting a dark car a lighter color. Depends on how in depth of a paint job you want to get for it
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
DarkVibe

Re: Project Cars (Merzbow)

Post by DarkVibe »

Quote, originally posted by Merzbow »black is such a dark color, it is generally cheaper to repaint onto a lighter color as opposed to painting a dark car a lighter color. Depends on how in depth of a paint job you want to get for it i just don't want to open the doors and see a different paint color, but at the same time, i don't want to be paying an arm and a leg for it, ya know?
2009 Red Vibe GT auto
ToolGuy

Re: Project Cars (Merzbow)

Post by ToolGuy »

I second a Rat Rod.If I ever get a house with a multi car garage, I will build one. I would also like to get a junk yard car that is mostly complete, get it running and road worthy and just drive it! No show car or garage queens here! It could be a four door like a four door Caddy and paint it up like a P51 Fighter Plane and call it MaryAnne after my grand fathers P51. No professional paint job just one that is consistent with nose art too. I wish I had the money because I saw a four door Caddy at the bulletproof car show two years ago, black and looked like it just came out of a yard. It was running and for sale! Damn it!
Merzbow

Re: Project Cars (ToolGuy)

Post by Merzbow »

Yeah I hear you on that Toolguy. I got fired 2 weekends ago and I'm out of money already so I'm pretty much screwed.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

1969 Firebird, 350 4 barrel, turbo400, factory air, numbers matching, factory rally wheels. I started the restoration in 2003, now just waiting for time and money to finish.The beginning:On the rotisserie, and media blasted:Epoxy primed and in storage: (I'm waiting patiently, maybe this winter I can start again)It turns out that the guy who said he could do all this restoration (he's had his picture in Hot Rod) he used to work for me at the old business, turns out to be a total crack-head, (an ACTUAL crack smoker, not just a doofus), he just hid it really really well for quite a while, disappeared, and never came back.Luckily I didn't give him any money before he disappeared.And I don't have anywhere to work on it at the moment.
05 Base Vibe, Abyss (also known as Black to un-Vibers)Auto, Power Pkg, 16" alu, 20% tint all around, Black powder coated roof rails (the anodizing didn't last in the sun)Member of S.A.V.E. (Secret Association of Vibe Enthusisasts)
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

With the internet and all the information available, IMO a general knowledge is all you need for a project car. I have many, and almost added another one last week. I do have an advantage over most with a transmission shop at my disposal. Here is a list of all our current project cars.1954 Buick Century Wagon1970 Chevy K-5 Blazer1970 Chevy Suburban1972 Datsun 240 Z1969 Datsun 5101969 VW BusI wish I had more time, energy and money to put into our projects.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Merzbow

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by Merzbow »

Awesome, Datsuns are among my all time favorites! I loove 510s but i haven't seen any in person yet.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I SECOND the RAT RODS idea!These have always looked like fun to me. I would like to build one that handles like an Indy car and just put a dependable drivetrain in it.http://ratrodstuff.com/
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

i will be getting a k5 blazer in about a yr. jack way up with custom interior and everything
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
Sublimewind

Re: Project Cars (JohnC)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC »I SECOND the RAT RODS idea!These have always looked like fun to me. I would like to build one that handles like an Indy car and just put a dependable drivetrain in it.http://ratrodstuff.com/That's why I'd like to an S-10 into a rat... it's such an EASY thing to mod..
Raivis

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by Raivis »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »1954 Buick Century Wagon1970 Chevy K-5 Blazer1970 Chevy Suburban1972 Datsun 240 Z1969 Datsun 5101969 VW Busyou should give me you k-5 people feel good when doing a good deed!!!
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Oh, my project car is in my Sig BTW... lol..
Lysander

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Lysander »

Here's my project: 1970 Buick GS 350cu-in high compression with a TH350 trans.GrandpaSport FTW
2005 Vibe, 5-speed, M&T
Lysander

Re: (Lysander)

Post by Lysander »

This is kind of a project car, my summer time daily driver: 1998 Mystic Teal V6 Camaro with an LS1 engine and 6-speed transmission swap.
2005 Vibe, 5-speed, M&T
high revin

Post by high revin »

Great thread been buidling my Pro Street over the last three years tons of subtle custom mods!http://www.hotrodders.com/foru...50465
Truckin1999

Post by Truckin1999 »

I have too many projects atm. Click the pix to see the albums.My 91' Firebird (much farther along just no updated pics)The MGTD Replica (chevette chassis) is done:The 95 S10 SAS is done:My 74 Baja Bug is about 2/3 done. (sorry no pics uploaded atm)The 63 Street Rod Bug is patiently waiting in line.I live for building cars. The industry is killing me now, and in a way crushing my dreams. We will see how it goes though. Oh ya and the 87 LT250R but its not a car:
-Sean Cummings--Crushed Blue Steel Motorsports-06' GT, Abyss, Leather, M&T, Tint, Roof Spoiler, Magnaflow Cat-Back, K&N Short Ram modified for ram-air, S-Tech's, 18" KV5 Wheels, SLP Ram-Air Hood, paint matched headlights, strut tower brace.Now Making Custom Vibe Sub Enclosures
feelin'thevibe

Re: (Truckin1999)

Post by feelin'thevibe »

My 71 gremlin XMy 68 chevy C-10My Wifes 82 Amc Spirit
03 Neptune Vibe, base 5speed. ModsSLP ram air hoodTrd shift knobVoltz conversion
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

^^^^ (removed) ^^^^ I want your C-10....!!!!
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

WOW. S-10's, k-5's, and c-10's........ UGH im in heaven right now. Id love all 3. lol. right now my vibe is my project.
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
feelin'thevibe

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by feelin'thevibe »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »^^^^ (removed) ^^^^ I want your C-10....!!!! Thanks! If it helps I love your subie, I love the RS body style.
03 Neptune Vibe, base 5speed. ModsSLP ram air hoodTrd shift knobVoltz conversion
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

That's funny, cause before I got the Subie, i was soooooooooooooooooooooooo going to pull the trigger on a C-10.... lol.... I wanted to bag and drag the rockers off it... lol... Oh, thanks BTW... lol...