Lotus Elise

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
coldmm803

Lotus Elise

Post by coldmm803 »

On another forum i'm on (for computers) theres a guy in the car section there who test drove an Elise 2 weeks ago and was disappointed. first off, hes tryin to compare it to Porsches and Ferrari's. Also part of his story is that during the test drive he "raced" a Mustang Cobra and was 3 lengths behind by the time he hit 5500 rpm's. I told him that he missed the good half of the rpm range and needs to test a used Vibe GT or Matrix XRS to take it to redline. He said he has morals and wasn't gona redline a new car which i understand (imo, he needs to quit complaining until he knows what he missed). He is still yackin away about it roughly 2 weeks later. For those of you who have/had a GT vibe, what are your thoughts? do you think he would have caught up if he took it to redline and hit lift?link to his current bashing of the Lotushttp://www.xtremesystems.org/f...81378
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

for a little NA car, they are made to handle not go flat out in a straight line. They are good cars, there were some on a road tour i had with my friend in the supercharged cobalt and we blew by them easy, but like i said, stock they can handle some corners, they arent really made to drive a straight line.
AKLGT

Re: Lotus Elise (coldmm803)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by coldmm803 »On another forum i'm on (for computers) theres a guy in the car section there who test drove an Elise 2 weeks ago and was disappointed. first off, hes tryin to compare it to Porsches and Ferrari's. Also part of his story is that during the test drive he "raced" a Mustang Cobra and was 3 lengths behind by the time he hit 5500 rpm's. I told him that he missed the good half of the rpm range and needs to test a used Vibe GT or Matrix XRS to take it to redline. He said he has morals and wasn't gona redline a new car which i understand (imo, he needs to quit complaining until he knows what he missed). He is still yackin away about it roughly 2 weeks later. For those of you who have/had a GT vibe, what are your thoughts? do you think he would have caught up if he took it to redline and hit lift?link to his current bashing of the Lotushttp://www.xtremesystems.org/f...81378not a snowball's chance in hell. sorry, i loved my little Vibe GT, but it's no match for a porsche or Ferrari. in a straight line... also, keep in mind, the Lotus Elise weighs less than the Vibe GT, though they share motors, that's really about all. In the twisties, the Elise will be just as quick if not quicker with a good driver as a Porsche or Ferrari. But in a straight line, I really don't see how it would be. It still lacks that low end torque to get you going as the VGT (03). lift helped, but it's not a turbo or supercharger. I've raced (not driven it) with an Elise and I will say it's extremely impressive and agile on an autox course. However, it would see my taillights getting smaller and smaller in a straight line. The Elise is not made for drag racing or street racing, it's made for the twisties and tight turns or curves. In other words, it's made for a true driver of cars, someone who appreciates a fine tuned machine that can carve in and out of turns or mountain passes.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
joholste

Re: Lotus Elise (AKLGT)

Post by joholste »

AKLGT is spot on...I watched a Top Gear episode where they took a Lotus Elise out and also had the British RAF bring out one of their attack helicopters and in the twists and turns of the road course the attack helicopter couldn't get a missile lock on the elise. Once it got out of the turns that was a whole nother story. There is a turbo kit made for the lotus. I used to know a guy from spyderchat and went to the tail of the dragon. we met up with a guy from the forums there that had just recently traded his spyder for the elise, and was very happy. He also said that you can't got over a certain RPM during the break in period as there is a stipulation in your contract that says doing so will void warranty. And the lotus dealerships actually check it. that may have been why this guy didn't want to go above 5500 RPM
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
kunkstyle

Re: Lotus Elise (joholste)

Post by kunkstyle »

Wow. This guy sounds like a bit of a tool.Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »In the twisties, the Elise will be just as quick if not quicker with a good driver as a Porsche or FerrariA Ferrari maybe. A Porsche, no. The watercooled 911's are one of the best handling sports cars out there. An Elise wouldn't stand a chance, even in the twisties.Quote, originally posted by joholste »I used to know a guy from spyderchat and went to the tail of the dragon.Where is that? I've seen some pretty cool pictures from there, but have no idea where it is.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

what i find is that the lift only makes a difference if you are neck and neck. There is no way in hell he would have made up three car lengths.
AKLGT

Re: Lotus Elise (kunkstyle)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by kunkstyle »Wow. This guy sounds like a bit of a tool.A Ferrari maybe. A Porsche, no. The watercooled 911's are one of the best handling sports cars out there. An Elise wouldn't stand a chance, even in the twisties.Where is that? I've seen some pretty cool pictures from there, but have no idea where it is.a good driver will always prevail in the twisties! I have WATCHED, RACED and PARTICIPATED with an elise, cayman S, and a turbo 911... all of the drivers were excellent, however the couple co-driving the Elise was better. They have competed in National Solo II events for SCCA and done quite well. Just impressive and freaking quick!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
joholste

Re: Lotus Elise (kunkstyle)

Post by joholste »

Tail of the dragon is on the North Carolina/Tennessee border. I will be heading down to it on the sunday after the Epic Meet. It's awesome to drive.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
injun_josh

Re: (northvibe)

Post by injun_josh »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »for a little NA car, they are made to handle not go flat out in a straight line. They are good cars, there were some on a road tour i had with my friend in the supercharged cobalt and we blew by them easy, but like i said, stock they can handle some corners, they arent really made to drive a straight line.what? unless your friend had some work done to the cobalt that is a negative. motor trend pulled a 13.5 out of the elise. and last time i checked that was not to shabby. but i wont be buying one anytime soon, cause i figure why not rake in 10-15 more and get my ariel atom. 0-60 2.8!!! sign me up for that.!!!