Police force street racers to watch their souped-up rides get smashed.

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
damronjr

Police force street racers to watch their souped-up rides get smashed.

Post by damronjr »

Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
TraySeeLea

Post by TraySeeLea »

Poor attitude by that one boy at the end...maybe they should take away his license too
Quote, originally posted by 4X4CHICHI »Oh the power of a pretty blonde...lol
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (TraySeeLea)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Hmmm...I can understand the desire to get these vehicles off the street, especially if they were involved in injury or death. But couldn't there have been a more constructive punishment? Like, forcing the convicted to do teardowns of the cars and allow the parts to be sold/donated by the city/county?Making the convicted persons spend time undoing their work would at least keep them from building up another street racer (like that last guy).
ajflan

Re: (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by ajflan »

Yeah I saw this article the other day. I agree that they should have thier cars taken, but I think that smashing them up is stupid. I think that donating or selling off the cars would be much more constructive.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
Mavrik

Re: (ajflan)

Post by Mavrik »

smashing them is pretty stupid and in no way going to make people who street race become less likely to street race. It would seem that most of the cars had stolen parts on them. I guess the person who got their parts stolen to begin with won't be getting them back. Don't police investigations into crimes of stolen property result in returning stolen property when found? Its not common practice to crush it is it?
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Kari

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by Kari »

They said they had stolen engines or transmissions, so maybe those were returned before the cars themselves were crushed.
GenVibe Global Moderator
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

Waste of good cars. They showed that same video over a year ago too.
04 Fusion Orange Base Vibe auto Now no longer with us thanks to ignorant drivers...
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

its real sad to watch. and like its been said and will be said again...its not gooing to stop anyone. people are going to do it smarter and build faster cars to get away in
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
injun_josh

Re: (Raivis)

Post by injun_josh »

i dont go out looking for street races but sometimes they just happen. i know its wrong of me and illegal but i have just to big of an ego, or maybe my body makes to much testosterone. but i do have a rule about street racing with myself. and that rule is that there are absolutely no cars infront of us, and i am in a flat, well lit area where i can see for a long distance. i dont do the weaving in and out of traffic thing. but cant these guys sue? i mean around here if your caught street racing, you will get a ticket for reckless driving and speeding. if a judge ordered my car to be crushed but didn't order non racers cars with the same type of ticket to be crushed.... yeah i would be calling an attorney.
Kari

Re: (injun_josh)

Post by Kari »

The reason the judge ordered the car to be crushed was not because they were street racing, but because they were apparently put together with stolen parts. The story was a bit misleading in that way...it made it sound at first like it was because they were street racing, but it wasn't.
GenVibe Global Moderator
Mavrik

Re: (Kari)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »The reason the judge ordered the car to be crushed was not because they were street racing, but because they were apparently put together with stolen parts. The story was a bit misleading in that way...it made it sound at first like it was because they were street racing, but it wasn't.I still don't understand why the stolen parts were not returned to their owners instead they were crushed. Doesn't make sense to me.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

as insurance works...the people who had stuff stolen, were most likely paid off by the insurance companies. The new stuff that was probably better than what they had..........
2005 Vibe...Abyss ...AWD53 Stude HT, 76 AMC Pacer, 91 Camry 4WD,318 John Deere, Strong GS-210 Electric Bike
Mavrik

Re: (pacerman)

Post by Mavrik »

So they don't need to keep the evidence to prosecute a case against the thief?"So what evidence do you have?""Uh... none... we crushed it to prove a point to the purchaser.""case dismissed"
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

You know, it is also pretty logical that those guys didn't know some of the stuff was stolen. I might've read that article or another one on the same story, but it did seem to say that they got the parts through places they thought were legit (even eBay)I mean, honestly, if you buy something off ebay or a shop (not a guy in a van around the corner), are you gonna suspect it stolen?
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

linky no worky anymore
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.