Auto Show Hunters

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Caretaker

Auto Show Hunters

Post by Caretaker » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 pm

I thought I'd start a new thread in case folks here attend(ed) any auto shows and can post their thoughts on any "average everyday car" at these shows. I spent my day at the Tampa Auto Show. Most manufacturers were there except Mazda and Volvo. I'm pretty POed about Mazda, but since their CX-30 would not have been there anyway, no sense in making hay.

Thoughts:

Biggest Pet Peeve: Center consoles: These auto designers need to insert REAL humans into their creative design process. These stupid center consoles get wider and wider and don't afford any east-west leg travel room. That's all well and fine for 20 minute drives to and from the store, but pinning our leg so that it can do nothing other than regulate the gas pedal is just plain stupid. We all need to flop around like a flounder after an hour or so of driving, keeping the blood flowing and cramping to a minimum.

Next biggest pet peeve: ingress/egress height. I want every manufacturer to model their sedans and crossovers off of the Chevy Trax. That should be the minimum height for all vehicles (sans the Maseratis of the world). The Trax was very comfortable in the driver's and passenger side for the most part. If GM could make it more reliable, I'd certainly consider one.

Best car for the commoner: Subaru Crosstrek. We must have sat in this thing 6 or more times, repeatedly walking from one end of the convention center to the other comparing cars with the Crosstrek. The car is a total winner, except, as the auto press says, it is painfully slow. Give it another 2 or more inches in entry height and it would be nearly perfect for me. I don't care about slow.

Next best car for the commoner: Hyundai Kona. This is a winning car. The rear window is a bit small for me, but overall, it was a delicious car through and through.

Car that blew my socks off: The Ford Escape. I would NEVER consider buying a Ford; never. This new Escape had me pouring over it from end to end and would not let me go. From driver comfort to passenger comfort to rear seat comfort and legroom, to visibility, to the hatch opening, I left with my mouth hanging open. Unlike the Forester, I did not feel like I was behind the wheel of a Mack truck. I felt totally connected while sitting inside.

Best Rumor from a guy with a nametag: The Crosstrek will be redesigned with their 2.5 liter engine instead of the pokey 2.0. I just want it to be taller. If I am able to keep my Vibe alive until 2022?.....only to find out that I don't like that newest generation of Crosstrek, I would be perfectly happy to have them dump one of their leftover slow poke versions on me at a greatly reduced price. Unfortunately it looks like next year (2021) will be a refresh year according to the official guy with a nametag. As such, I think I'll be lucky if 2022 brings the new model. My Vibe will be burning 5 quarts of oil in between oil changes by that point.

Others: Subaru has really nailed it across their line. The Legacy sedan is simply beautiful and comfy inside. I wish the roofline was a foot higher though. The Forester is also a great vehicle, but like Joatmon said, as a small car driver for decades, I feel very disconnected when even sitting in the thing. I don't know where the front or back or sides are. My test drive last year was impressive but I think it would take me a lifetime to get used to such a big car. Today was the first time I sat in an Outback. Again, great beauty and comfort, although I had more "flounder flopping" leg room in the Crosstrek and with 1950's cargo room in the back of the Outback (enough to hold 10 Jimmy Hoffas), I really don't need all that empty space behind me especially when parallel parking. The Crosstrek really is the goldilocks car for me.

Serious disappointments:

1. Any Volkswagen. I'm shocked given their relatively poor quality over time that Consumer Reports continues to put the Tiguan at the top of their SUV class. Yes I love that it is a nice boxy design with good visibility, but NO, I don't like holding on to an iron rod steering wheel that would crush my scull in an accident, nor the cheap hard plastics everywhere. I felt like I was sitting in a 1990's Passat. The Forester beats the Tiguan with two broken axles and its hands tied behind its back.
2. The Fiat 500. Are you kidding me. I think Iacocca's K car had more style inside. I'm scratching my head wondering how this car could be associated with Chrysler (the kings of venus fly traps) and still look like an Italian car from the 1980's. Awful.

This is not an extensive list by any means given that it was Tampa and not NYC or Detroit's auto show, nor am I employed by Autoline's John McElroy.
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
** 2009 Vibe: 1.8 liter automatic **
** 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring **
** 2007 Honda Fit Sport **

tpollauf

Re: Auto Show Hunters

Post by tpollauf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Up here on the Ohio/Michigan border the Detroit Auto show was always the big thing to attend during January where it's cold outside, you can't do any outdoor activities, and stuck indoors. Well the marketing Gurus think they'll have better attendance numbers by holding it in the summer months. I disagree with them big time. Anyways June 13 - 20 will be the public dates for the show. I likely will be either working or spending time outdoors enjoying mother nature ...... not attending this show!
"everything is modifiable"

joatmon

Post by joatmon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:47 am

Caretaker wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 pm
The Forester is also a great vehicle, but like Joatmon said, as a small car driver for decades, I feel very disconnected when even sitting in the thing.
Just to clarify, in another thread I said that my new Forester didn't yet quite feel like "my" car, but that was only intended in the context that after 16+ years and a third of a million miles driving a Vibe, any thing else is different, and takes some time to get used to. The forester is smoother and quieter ride than the Vibe was, but that was something I sought. I suppose a quieter smoother ride might make someone feel disconnected in the thing, but I haven't found that to be the case. But I have never been a small car driver. More of a fit limitation, a lot of the auto market doesn't have enough head room, or has the top of the windshield too close to eye level.

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 am

I, too, would be okay with a Crosstrek at a discounted price should they opt to upgrade the powerplant. I do agree that the 2.0L is underwhelming for this vehicle. It should have been equipped with a turbo, or a large engine from the get-go. I have really been eyeballing the Crosstrek or some other Toyota.
(2) '03 Bases, '04 GT, '04 AWD, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB
Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:35 am

zbyers wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 am
I, too, would be okay with a Crosstrek at a discounted price should they opt to upgrade the powerplant. I do agree that the 2.0L is underwhelming for this vehicle. It should have been equipped with a turbo, or a large engine from the get-go. I have really been eyeballing the Crosstrek or some other Toyota.
It sounds like the Crosstrek would be fine for me. I live in Houston, and rarely need to drive in hills. Gulf Coast is mostly flat.

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:14 pm

The new Escape seems pretty nice. Seems a little more hatchback-ish now, I suppose the demise of the Focus in the US may have had a part in that. I know a lot of the Escape fans seem turned off by this, but as someone who loathes SUV's I think it's somewhat of a step in the right direction.

The Mrs. really likes her last gen Escape, which for all intents and purposes replaced the Vibe. It's been a perfectly reliable, well built vehicle. I don't care much for driving it, but that's my problem. It actually drives pretty good for what it is - I just find SUV's/crossovers/whatever one wants to call these things awkward to drive. Being in subcompacts since 2006, I'm not comfortable sitting up so high and despite being a "compact," this thing still feels like a land yacht. And don't get me started on having to drag out the step stool every time I wash the thing. :lol:

Hopefully this new gen is easier to work on, most tasks that would be mundane on other cars have been an exercise in frustration with the last gen. At least this new Escape doesn't have the battery buried underneath the cowl. :?

There's a lot that I think they've improved with this generation. Looking forward to checking them out a little closer, especially the hybrid version.

The next purchase will be replacing my Sonic, so I'll be checking out the auto shows early next year for my next cheapo commuter appliance.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Neptune. Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 134k mi.

'13 Sonic LT - 1.4L ECOTEC turbo/6A. 111k mi.
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost, FWD. 56k mi. (hers)
ImageImage

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:17 pm

ColonelPanic wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:14 pm
The new Escape seems pretty nice. Seems a little more hatchback-ish now, I suppose the demise of the Focus in the US may have had a part in that. I know a lot of the Escape fans seem turned off by this, but as someone who loathes SUV's I think it's somewhat of a step in the right direction.

The Mrs. really likes her last gen Escape, which for all intents and purposes replaced the Vibe. It's been a perfectly reliable, well built vehicle. I don't care much for driving it, but that's my problem. It actually drives pretty good for what it is - I just find SUV's/crossovers/whatever one wants to call these things awkward to drive. Being in subcompacts since 2006, I'm not comfortable sitting up so high and despite being a "compact," this thing still feels like a land yacht. And don't get me started on having to drag out the step stool every time I wash the thing. :lol:

Hopefully this new gen is easier to work on, most tasks that would be mundane on other cars have been an exercise in frustration with the last gen. At least this new Escape doesn't have the battery buried underneath the cowl. :?

There's a lot that I think they've improved with this generation. Looking forward to checking them out a little closer, especially the hybrid version.

The next purchase will be replacing my Sonic, so I'll be checking out the auto shows early next year for my next cheapo commuter appliance.
I really miss my 1998 Kia Sportage (manual transmission). It was a true SUV. Almost none of the vehicles produced later, the so-called 'crossover vehicles', (of which the Vibe was one of the first, even though it's really a station wagon) are 'sport', or 'utility' - unless utility includes driving a small soccer team to their game. The Ford Excessive being one of the most notorious ones. That's like calling a Surburban an SUV. That includes the later Sportage. It was a bit tall, but it didn't feel bulky.

Frankly, I think they should _stop_ making the 'crossover' vehicles. They're unsafe, from the point that you can't see out of most of the vehicle windows, because of those enormous airbag holding pillars. We might as well drive 1938 VWs. Or painter's vans.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:57 pm

Just went to the Mazda dealer today, mainly to express my dismay as to why they were not at the auto show. Anyway, I saw that Mazda.com now has a "build your own CX-30" page, even though it was confirmed today that they won't be hitting the US streets until January. I sat in a CX-5 after chatting, only to find the center console the worst of the worst regarding leg space. It is enormous (width). My driver's leg didn't even have half an inch of wiggle room while on the gas pedal. Ugh. And as the CX-30 youtube videos show it will be no taller than the current CX-3, I'm crossing Mazda off my list. I need to go and check out the previous generation of the CRV (2015-2016) and work my way backwards. The current model also does nothing for me.

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Caretaker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:57 pm
Just went to the Mazda dealer today, mainly to express my dismay as to why they were not at the auto show.
Out of curiosity, dId they have an explanation for the absence? Mazda's not at the Indianapolis or Louisville shows either.

Same goes for Kia as well. Really wanted to see the new Forte last year, but no such luck. This year, I'd love to take a look at the Mazda 3 as well. I find them to be quite stunning. 8-) A little more than what this cheapskate would like to spend on a car, but dang it's gorgeous.

The Cincinnati show has both Kia and Mazda, so perhaps I should go there next time.

ImageImage

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:28 am

As you know, the local sales people know as much about the auto show as they do the cars they sell......zippo. I do know from asking an auto show staff member as we were leaving that the regional Mazda office was asked (as they are asked every year) and turned down the opportunity to participate (again). The Mazda lineup is stunning, just too low to get in/out of for me. Putting aside any luxury offerings from Volvo and others, after all the gawking/sitting/researching I have done, there is just one car out there that suits my needs. At least I know it exists whenever my Vibe flames out and there will be ample used models of the current "slow" version to be had. And I can hope that my Vibe is still rolling when the next generation Crosstrek makes the scene.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Went to a Honda dealer and checked out a 2016 CRV. Very impressive. Good flopping around room and it gets great ratings from Consumer Reports' survey takers back through 2012. I also saw this new car today. I now have 3 cars to consider: current or future model Crosstrek; previous model of the CRV; and now this, which just debuted at the LA Auto Show but has been out in India/Asia for a year now:

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:05 am

The Seltos is interesting. I even kinda like the yellow color they have in that article... lol
(2) '03 Bases, '04 GT, '04 AWD, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB
Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Interesting color. Reminds me of the "Glowing Yellow" on the new 2020 Sonata. Love it, as bizarre as that color is. Too bad it isn't offered on the on the cheapo trim of the Sonata that I'd buy. I have no need for a large car anyway. :D

As far as that Kia goes, I haven't paid much attention to it so honestly I was thinking going to be their version of the Hyundai Venue. Didn't realize it was going to be *larger* than the Soul. How are they calling that "subcompact?" :lol:

ImageImage

GORGO

Post by GORGO » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:13 pm

Naturally I want the new Mid Engine Vette !
Previously known as,TONY-TAT2 /GODZILLA
09 Base bought new. 08 Pontiac G6 the Wifes bought new. 93 Vette 40th Ruby Red Anniversary Rag top 6spd.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Just went to the local Kia dealer and confirmed the February arrival of the Seltos in the USA. Dealer said that the way the car is selling abroad, Kia will likely phase out the Soul and expect the Seltos to quickly eat into Soul sales. Given how all the Youtube videos in Australia and India are raving about how the Seltos handles their lousy roads, I'm excited to see one in the new year.