2019 Corolla Hatchback Thoughts? Opinions?

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
striker1211

2019 Corolla Hatchback Thoughts? Opinions?

Postby striker1211 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:29 am

People on reddit are singing the praises of the Corolla Hatchback saying it is nothing like the crappy Corolla iM. Has anyone drove one yet? It looks just like an iM and is still missing half the practical features the matrix/vibe had. But since it has a 2.0L w/ CVT vs a 1.8L w/ AT the improved fuel economy on the highway might be able to justify an upgrade for me :) Discuss?
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX

ehoff121

Re: 2019 Corolla Hatchback Thoughts? Opinions?

Postby ehoff121 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:59 am

2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum

Caretaker

Postby Caretaker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 pm

extremely low to the ground in order to achieve these gas mpgs. I'm done with "diving down" when getting into a car. That's why I've owned 2 Vibes. Next car is likely the 2019 Forester
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
** 2009 Vibe: 1.8 liter automatic **
** 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring **
** 2007 Honda Fit Sport **

tpollauf

Postby tpollauf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 am

Interesting that both of these are classified under "small station wagons" and yet the Vibe is then categorized as a "sport wagon" yet the Corolla is a "hatchback". Excuse me, all of my Vibes are hatchbacks! Thanks you 8-)
"everything is modifiable"

jamsandwich

Postby jamsandwich » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:21 pm

I've been watching it, but based on what I see in videos and on paper, I don't think it's different enough from the iM for my tastes.

We recently replaced my wife's car (Hyundai Elantra hatch) with a standard-issue, boring Corolla sedan. The iM never made our test-drive list, as she didn't like it.

Even if it were my decision (instead of just my "influence"), I don't know if we would've bothered driving the iM. I love having a hatchback, but I found the driver's seat area a bit snug/claustrophobic, even compared to its Corolla brother. Looking at the measurements of the new vehicle, I don't get the sense it'll feel much different.

For us, the deciding factors on our purchase were the expectation of Toyota reliability and the safety features, which were easily $1,500-2,000 add-ons with the competition.

jamsandwich

Postby jamsandwich » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:23 pm

We had a service appointment recently and checked out the Corolla hatch. The cabin dimensions seemed nicer up front than the iM. But the room in back wasn't great. Ceiling was still kinda low for me. The room in the hatch was seriously disappointing. It won't be on my shopping list.

But I guess that's the trend. Hyundai reduced the cargo space in their Elantra Hatch when it went from the Touring to the GT. I don't like it. Some of my favorite Vibe memories are when I've been able to cram seemingly unlikely loads into it.

Caretaker

Postby Caretaker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:31 am

Hyundai made a colossal mistake when they tried to "fix" the ugly Elantra Touring for the "cool" GT. Give us our wagons back. Stop listening to the in crowd. Us smart people want the versatility, visibility, and human leg/head/shoulder room that the Touring brought us. Today's go-carts, like the Corolla hatch, are ridiculous........... Now just months away from the '19 Forester.
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
** 2009 Vibe: 1.8 liter automatic **
** 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring **
** 2007 Honda Fit Sport **

Capt.Vibe

Postby Capt.Vibe » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Just checked this car out today. This car has nowhere near the room of a Matrix/Vibe. It is lower, the roof feels like it's dropping down on you. Ingress requires some maneuvering, it is tight. The Vibe I can slip in, just throw myself in the driver seat without banging anything, The back seats are tighter, legroom is tighter and the hatch area looks much smaller. Also, the SE upgrade with those very nice looking rims has an absurdly low profile tire. There is hardly any rubber, I suspect the ride will be brutal on our notorious Quebec roads. The base model's 15 inch with steelies will end up being the most comfortable ride. Left very disappointed.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA

Return to “The Others”