Bye 2003 SalsaWagon - Hello 2016 HR-V - Honda builds a worthy successor to my original Vibe

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
kostby

Bye 2003 SalsaWagon - Hello 2016 HR-V - Honda builds a worthy successor to my original Vibe

Postby kostby » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Well, yesterday I did it.

I traded SalsaWagon, our well-used 2003 Pontiac Vibe in on a Certified Used 2016 Honda HR-V EX AWD from a Honda dealer in Marion Illinois.
IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0709.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 50 times

2016_honda_hr-v-pic-3507604481073160303-1024x768.jpeg
2016_honda_hr-v-pic-3507604481073160303-1024x768.jpeg (217.41 KiB) Viewed 50 times

SalsaWagon was built in May 2002, and had accumulated about 128,000 miles, and all the minor bumps and dings that occur over 14 years of ownership.
Needed an AC compressor, new windshield, new speakers, belt tensioner, tires relatively soon.
Still likely 100,000 miles of life remaining and truly nothing that money couldn't fix, but I'd still have a 15-year-old car.

I purchased our Salsa/gray clad Vibe Base in Feb 2004 with about 30,000 miles on it from a dealer in Marion Indiana.
Added nearly 100,000 miles over the last 14 years.

It took me about 5 years to figure this out, and then I receive unexpected financial windfall at the end of the year to enable me to complete a cash purchase.
IMO, Honda finally created a truly worthy successor to my 2003 Vibe Base.

Perfect replica? NO, but incredibly close.

The 2003 Vibe Base is virtually identical to the 2016 HR-V in most significant dimensions.
Vibe specs listed left (for the 5-speed manual, I believe), HR-V specs listed to the right.
Vibe specs left vs HR-V specs right.jpg
Vibe specs left vs HR-V specs right.jpg (258.44 KiB) Viewed 50 times

1.8L DOHC engine with variable valve timing.
Vibe had 4-speed automatic or 6-speed manual, depending on the config.
HR-V has "automatic" (CVT) or 6-speed manual.
The significant difference is in weight - HR-V weighs significantly more, but with more HP and more 'gears', I have not noticed a significant performance difference, even in Honda ECO mode.

So the Honda HR-V is within an inch or two of the original Vibe: Wheelbase, width, height, length, and many interior dimensions are also within an inch or so.

What else?
Flat load floor with rear seat backs folded down.
Honda adds the versatility of the FIT rear seats - the rear seat cushions also fold UP to allow carrying taller large objects like tall houseplants or maybe kid's bicycles with wheels still attached, behind the driver's seat.

Available in either FWD or AWD.
Honda HR-V AWD is only available with the CVT.
More modern technology (though no Apple CarPlay in the 2016-2017 models)
Backup camera
Bluetooth audio and phone pairing.
Quiet ride
More sound-deadening

More to come as I discover more about my new 'Honda Vibe' in the weeks ahead.

So no fond farewells to the GenVibe community - I have no plans to leave GenVibe. I've made many friendships here over the years.
I'll continue to lurk here for the foreseeable future.

One Honda HR-V forum I've found: hrvforum.com - Only visited there a few times, but it seems quite even-tempered, much like the GenVibe community.

Questions? Ask away!
I'm '@facebookie' on Twitter. No, actually I don't have a facebook account.

joatmon

Re: Bye 2003 SalsaWagon - Hello 2016 HR-V - Honda builds a worthy successor to my original Vibe

Postby joatmon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 am

Looks nice. Congrats on the new ride!

Hard to let go of a car after having it for so long, but really nice to have an issue free new car, with 15 years of tech updates.

I've noticed that the visibility out the back corner of a Matrix is a little better than a Vibe. How is it in the HRV (notCRV*)?

A quieter ride would definitely be nice.

One of the things I like about the Vibe is how easy it is to get into. I also have an 03 Tacoma, and always bang my head getting into it. How's it compare with the HRV (notCRV*)?

You'd probably notice power improvement compared to an 03 AWD VIbe. Specs say your AWD HRV (notCRV*)) is 21.9 lb/HP, an 03 AWD Vibe is 24.2 lb/HP.

So you buy your cars in Marion? I have a son in Carbondale, but he drives a Nissan, so doesn't matter. Just amused at the geographic coincidence ;)

again, congrats! Keep us posted on your observations, as (I assume) a bunch of us holding on to 15 year old cars wonder what to get when we do need to replace it.

* edit - corrected model reference error
Last edited by joatmon on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Caretaker

Re: Bye 2003 SalsaWagon - Hello 2016 HR-V - Honda builds a worthy successor to my original Vibe

Postby Caretaker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:08 am

well, he got the HRV, not the CRV. BIG difference. I jumped into a HRV and jumped right back out. I found it way too small. The back seat doesn't fit adults. A Vibe replacement? I think that is a fair representation. The CRV on the other hand is one of the best vehicles on the road and will bring in big bucks for Honda as the years go by. Lots of CRV owners are trading in their older models for the new one; its that good. I'm waiting to see what Subaru does with the Forester to keep pace with the CRV and CX-5 updates.
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
** 2009 Vibe: 1.8 liter automatic **
** 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring **
** 2007 Honda Fit Sport **

joatmon

Postby joatmon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

I may have said CRV, but meant HRV, any specs I looked at were the one kostby posted. For clarity's sake, I've edited my post above

SeattleJeremy

Postby SeattleJeremy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 pm

The HRV is a great size, and not only has the Fit's rear seats, they also share a platform (like the Vibe\Matrix with their brother the Corolla).

I think the Forester gets larger with every generation. My mother in law got a 2014 or 2015 recently, and the trunk area is huge!
06 Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual

Return to “The Others”