My trip to Oahu (Nov 2010)

Share your photos, discuss your camera, get advice or request "Photoshop" assistance.
AKLGT

My trip to Oahu (Nov 2010)

Post by AKLGT »

I spent a week in Oahu, all over the place with my best friend. We started off at Turtle Bay for 2 nights and then to Bellows AFS with my family friends. The remainder of the trip, we stayed with them until we left last Weds night. It was so much fun, lots of physical things (I got as much running, hiking, walking, kayaking, etc as I could) but also relaxing. It's been some time since I got to really play with my Nikon D90, so brought it and my other 2 cameras (Fuji WP and Casio Exilim). We arrive at Turtle Bay Resort and of course, have to explore the area. I really love how this one turned out... I didn't do any real editing other than add the vignetting the resortthere are little crabs everywhere! then hit the beaches! I love sand on my toes!we probably went to 4 different beaches including Waimea Bay, and ended up body surfing there, then on to some weird point and another beach that you can walk to a little island (when it's low tide).
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
morbay

Re: My trip to Oahu (AKLGT)

Post by morbay »

As rainy and crappy as it is here, currently, that looks wonderful.
Rob Pettigrew2009 Ultra White 2.4 AWDPearl White Arrowhead overlaysPainted Calipers October 2010 MOTM
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

view from our hotel roomSunsetOla's (the restaurant in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall")stopping on the beach during the end of my morning run, right about mile 6windmills on North Shorethen we head to Bellows AFS for boogie boarding!I love this pic! Krista's pants kept falling off from the waves so she constantly had to pull the up. This is why I chose board shorts from my Maui trip in April (I learned this when my bottoms came off and I mooned the camera crew filming our corporate events) LOL!and a self portrait as I ride waves into shoreNext day was KAYAKING!!!headed out to a small island that was a bird sanctuary
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

we're going to head out to those two islands next, but have to kayak through lots of waves and coral in the waterand we're off!we arrive to the next islandEven saw a sea turtle, but we failed at getting our snorkel gear in time and/or the camera!We made it back to shore and then decided to check out the beach and the area where we had to go through the coral. Krista has issues with "fish" so she wanted to try snorkeling there before we went to Haunama Bay.LOLZ! (removed)! There are FISH IN THESE WATERS!!!I was quite content on the beach, however she informed me she was scared and thus needed an adult. After that, we got washed up at one of the many public beach areas and headed to town to do some hiking! We got our arm work out done from kayaking and ready for some legs! Felt like walking into Jurassic Park!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

we get up to the FallsNext day was Diamond Head, Waikiki and Paradise Cove luau! we decided we were going to run up and down as much as we could (aka try not to run over the tourists). Yes, it was extremely hot, sweaty but damn what a great run!the creepy spiral staircasethen we headed downtown Waikiki and walked to Ala Mona Shopping Centertaking a stop through the International Marketthen it's LUAU TIME!!!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

we finally got lei'dthe show was amazing! lots of great dancing from the various Polynesian cultures and well... hey, I can't complain about the eye candy.and of course the cool fire guy!really enjoyed the luauLast morning in Hawaii, we saved the best for last: Haunama Bay!Ready for snorkeling! GPS/Phone/Tunes: CHECK!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

drying off in the sun!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
808 Vibes

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I'm glad you had fun...you definetely deserve it!!! BTW, Kualoa Ranch is Jurassic Park. next time! http://www.kualoa.com/tours_narrated.htm
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ha ha! been there before.and heading back end of March/beginning of April. This time, we're getting together!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

I was gonna ask why you didn't stop by to see HPL while you were "in the neighborhood?"'Sounds like a plan... and a fun time too.I would love to see Hawaii before I leave this earth. Everything I've ever heard about it says its a truly beautiful place if not an expensive one. My sister and her husband, even my mother and her sisters have visited there before. But... I don't know. I don't get to travel all that much. Perhaps if/when things settle down financially... and/or I hit the Lottery. Do you have to play to win?
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

watch for specials. they have sales all the time for tickets. I also have friends who live in Mililani Town so I stay with them for free. I'm also used to living and eating super cheap now, so that last trip cost me a total of $850 for airfare, the 2 days at Turtle bay, car rental, food and everything we did.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

That sounds GREAT!! Y'know, we've been married for over 10yrs now and never had a honeymoon? Never even had a vacation that didn't involve the family(ies), or the house. And the phone number of your travel agent... and the friend in Mililani Town is???
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

lol! also, check Costco Travel if you are a member of Costco. I have found some awesome deals through them for hotel and car rental!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
808 Vibes

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe » Y'know, we've been married for over 10yrs now and never had a honeymoon? You owe her big time! That poor lady deserves a cruise! That's a looooooooooong time to be stuck with one man *shudders*
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by 06pvibe »

... Or one woman.Besides, it's been at least as much her fault as mine. My wife: We should go on a cruise. We need to get away. A day later: Who would take care of the house. No one would water the garden (properly.) There's so much to do around here.Maybe next year.....It's been this way for ten years. Now, she has the grandson coming here for a MONTH in July. I have 4 weeks vacation. She has only 2 and will use all of it. I will use about half of mine keeping a 14 yr old boy company. I said to her, Dear. He's a 14 yr old boy. It's 100* in July. He doesn't know anybody around here. Add to that the raging hormones of a young teenager. What do you think he's going to do here with us? How much "fun" do you think he's going to have?I think he is going to sleep late, stay up late, watch tv, play video games all day and develop a serious case of cabin fever. And this is how she wants me to spend my vacation... or his?
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

You can teach the kid to play drums...it might be fun for you both.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Ah... you saw that picture, did ya'?Well, we tried that the last time they were here, he and his sisters too. He is interested, but not so much as to learn the basics first.He has a small electronic kit @ home, but claims everyone gets on his back when he tries to practice.Besides, I don't even play the drums anymore. I don't know where I lost interest, I just did. So they are here and sit around untouched most of the time.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

I remembered because I got a similar pic of me. And nope, ain't postin' it. It's too damn depressing.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

(Continuing our way off-topic discussion.... Sorry AKL! Sorry Mods.)Oh, did you/do you play drums? Were you in a rock band too?I haven't really played much since that band broke up in '95. The guitar, which I also play, is easier to carry around, set up and more accepted in mixed crowds. We were a 3 piece blues/rock band... covers and originals, but almost all were in a classic rock/electric blues style.I WANNA SEE THE PIC!!!! Post it up, Girl!
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

No, and No.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

No, you don't play drums? And, No, you didn't play in a rock band?But you will post the picture?