Pics of my city =)

Share your photos, discuss your camera, get advice or request "Photoshop" assistance.
lowincash

Pics of my city =)

Post by lowincash »

Just bought a Nikon D40 today and still learning how to use it. My first DSLR camera and so far I'm loving it =D got the D40 becuase I've read that it's the best bang for the bucks especially for beginners like me. Anyways here's a few pics I took tonight. Just testing the camera out and hopefully once I get use to it I'll get some nicer pics =DThis is the view of Downtown Los Angeles just a bit up the hill from home. The last couple pics are a bit blurry because it was windy and I think it was moving my tripod a bit =/and here's after I washed my car =P
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
TONY TAT2

Re: Pics of my city =) (lowincash)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Now I"m getten a Randy Newman flashback
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The D40 is a nice camera, we have one. A great camera for the money. I let Kari take care of all of the photography with that thing, I'm far too stupid to figure out how to work it. And man, what's up with your Toyota loving neighborhood? Looks like practically everybody has one. lol
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
lowincash

Re: Pics of my city =) (ColonelPanic)

Post by lowincash »

wow i just noticed my street is dominated by toyota lol good thing i have a domestic brand to stand out from the crowd =Dbtw i just bought a polarized lens filter thing which should give daytime pics a better look i think.
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

very nice pics!
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
millster

Post by millster »

Pretty decent shots... but now the bad news... Looks like you changed your lens in a dusty environment... see that black dot in the left corner of your photos? That's dust on your sensor which means it needs cleaned or else it will never go away. Bad news? Sensor cleaning is delicate business.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
lowincash

Re: Pics of my city =) (millster)

Post by lowincash »

hmm yah i noticed that spot there and not sure where that dust is. i'll probably bring it to some camera shop and see if they can clean it.
millster

Post by millster »

Yeah, that's what I would do. Don't mess with cleaning the sensor if you're not sure of what you're doing. Good way to end up with a couple-hundred dollar paperweight.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
lowincash

Re: Pics of my city =) (millster)

Post by lowincash »

well i ended up returning the D40 and bought a cheaper camera since i hardly take pictures anyways lol thank goodness best buy didn't charge me the 15% restocking fee so i got the full $$$ back =D anyways i bought a canon sx10 and so far it's pretty good. easier to use lol i also bought a 52mm polarized lens filter for the D40 and good thing it fits the canon too.here's a last test pic i took with the D40and these are from the canon sx10oh yeah, the pic with the ducks was taken using the 20X optical zoom fully zoomed out =D
rocket9005

Post by rocket9005 »

What kind of polarizer did you get, a normal or a circular polarizer ? There is a difference, and with digital cameras you want a circular one. the filter has a grey color, so it's stealing light from your photographs, 2 stops, which is the same as from 100 iso to 400 iso, so use it only where you have plenty of light to begin with. Don't worry about the exposure difference, the light meter in the camera is adjusting for it. The filter spins in its mount, and the effect changes as you spin it. It can really darken the sky, and reduce reflections (except reflections in metal like chrome), so it can really make your colors POP ! You'll notice the sky darkening the most 90 degrees away from the sun.I used to use a polarizer all the time, and with Kodachrome slide film (yes film !) I came up with some photographs that look like the color was painted on; no glare.
2005 Base Vibe, 5 spd, NeptuneMoon & TunesPower Windows & Door LocksAlloy WheelsStill No mods (yet)
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

those are some nice shots with the sx10! btw, those are geese, not ducks. xDi really like my canon 40d, but sadly, i miss my old eos with negatives and all that fun stuff. Kodachrome was fun to play with.
None. Vibe is gone.
lowincash

Re: Pics of my city =) (rocket9005)

Post by lowincash »

i used a hoya pl-cir so i'm thinking it's circular. haven't really used the polarizer that much but i'm going to start playing around with it. i'm still learning those manual settings and trying to play around with the focus and stuff. anyone know any good forums about photography?
rocket9005

Post by rocket9005 »

Photography isn't really all that hard, and you have the LCD screen on the back of the camera to see if what you tried worked, or didn't work. What photo experience do you have ?
2005 Base Vibe, 5 spd, NeptuneMoon & TunesPower Windows & Door LocksAlloy WheelsStill No mods (yet)
lowincash

Re: Pics of my city =) (rocket9005)

Post by lowincash »

i guess i need to work on my angles and stuff.well today had some nice clouds and i went out and play around with the polarizer lense. i forgot to set the iso higher so lighting is still kind of dark =/
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Nice work with the filter I see your fingers
lowincash

Re: (bull77)

Post by lowincash »

tks...i just wished i had a better scenery or i would have went somewhere nicer to take pics haha
rocket9005

Post by rocket9005 »

Did you spin the polarizer to see the effect that it had on the sky ? As you turn the filter the sky will get darker to a point, and then it will get lighter. I wouldn't mess with the ISO yet, the cityscapes look fine. The light meter in the camera is reading through the polarizer too, so it adjusts for the filter. Just experiment with the filter, and delete the ones that you don't like; it's not like you're wasting film like in the "old days". Try using the exposure compensation setting to make it lighter and darker. If you have PhotoShop Elements (about $80) that can make much much more adjustments, and make finer adjustments that you can do in the camera.
titanlimousine

Re: (bull77)

Post by titanlimousine »

These are awesome pics! I really like the clarity of the pictures.Virginia Limo Services