Deviant Art's

Share your photos, discuss your camera, get advice or request "Photoshop" assistance.
Kevzaz

Deviant Art's

Post by Kevzaz »

Some people. I bet no one here at the moment knows that I am going into the graphic design field. So I have my own deviant art. Its a great site. Awesome for portfolios, perhaps to sell some of your work on it. So I thought I would make this thread to see how many people have deviant art. Please post the links to your deviant art's so we can see your work.For people new to deviant art. To see the people's work, just to go 'Browse Gallery' under Recent 'Deviations'Please look at my work. Preferably the 2 movie posters and the elephant with wings.My link: http://kevzaz.deviantart.com/
keithvibe

Re: Deviant Art's (Kevzaz)

Post by keithvibe »

only thing i am going to ask... being a Printing press operator myself.... please tell me you know the difference between RGB, CMYK, and not to mention trapping?To many people now a days call them self graphic designers only because they can launch Photoshop. Sorry if it seems harsh... it's one of my issues today. Being a pressman for 18years will do that to ya... HAHAHAHAGood luck though
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Where did you get that Tim Hortons pic,do you have any down where you are.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Kevzaz

Re: Deviant Art's (keithvibe)

Post by Kevzaz »

Well, actually, I didn't get that Pic, it was on the homepage. And my girlfriends last name is Horton. So I added to my favorites. =pAnd RBG is Red Blue Green. And that basically means that all the colors used are based off how many red blues and greens are used to make that color. CMYK is Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and um... isn't the K something that means black.. oh, K is Key. And that will produce colors too by putting the colors together, along with black. That is what I really understand. Sorry if I am wrong. I didn't learn much about the actual printing yet, I just send my documents to the copy center and they do all the hard work for me. =p
drunkenmaxx

Re: Deviant Art's (keithvibe)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »only thing i am going to ask... being a Printing press operator myself.... please tell me you know the difference between RGB, CMYK, and not to mention trapping?To many people now a days call them self graphic designers only because they can launch Photoshop. Sorry if it seems harsh... it's one of my issues today. Being a pressman for 18years will do that to ya... HAHAHAHAGood luck though i hear ya man! i work in the prepress department and i hate the files that "designers" send! i went to school to be a designer myself, but ended up doing this. nothing like getting a small jpeg in RGB that the "designer" wants to print with. we almost always have to trap files that are sent to us.on screen images mean squat in the printing world. it's one thing to make it pretty on screen, but that doesn't mean it's usable at all!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

ehh.. are you making fun of me? =\ I put a lot of work into my stuff. And I think I am very good for a 16 year old.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i browsed some of your work, it's pretty good photoshop stuff. do you know anything about illustrator? it's a must. you will also need at least indesign and quark knowledge as well. do you plan on going to college for graphic design? -edit- i'm not making fun of you, i was responding to keiths posts, he is abolutely right.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

No, I don't know much about illustrator or indesign, or quark. And yes, I am planning to go to college for graphic design. =]
keithvibe

Re: Deviant Art's (drunkenmaxx)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »i hear ya man! i work in the prepress department and i hate the files that "designers" send! i went to school to be a designer myself, but ended up doing this. nothing like getting a small jpeg in RGB that the "designer" wants to print with. we almost always have to trap files that are sent to us.on screen images mean squat in the printing world. it's one thing to make it pretty on screen, but that doesn't mean it's usable at all!I also have to deal with inhouse designers and "typesetters" that don't know the difference between a work and turn and a work and tumble.... how can you be a typesetter and NOT know that???
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
millster

Post by millster »

I'm on there too. Photographer here. Hobbyist for my own purposes, but I do professional portraiture as well, for a studio here in town.http://loathsome-weasel.deviantart.com/
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
VforVIBE

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by VforVIBE »

Hey, not too bad for 16, not alot of people know how to use PhotoShop at that age. Just remember, practice often, look in different places for tutorials. Ever look at http://www.worth1000.com? Here is your competition. You have to be really good, and with whatever college you choose, you want to get the best grades you can, it may make all the difference between getting the job or losing it to someone else. Be sure to network with people, they maybe your future partners.And don't worry about knowing everything now, you'll get it in time.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Thank you V. Right now I have a 5 disc tutorial on photoshop. I am trying to learn it all. =p Just got it yesterday. Its called Photoshop Top Secret. Its amazing. I have no clue what college I am going to yet.
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Not too bad for starting out. Two things I noticed on your movie posters (as I do a lot of dvd cover design in my spare time). 1) Keifer Sutherland's name is not Jack Bauer. 2) for your credits at the bottom, try finding a font called BeeTwo. It will look much less invasive.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Haha, Kunk, I didn't know his real name. Thanks. And I will try to find that font, thanks for the suggestion. Its a movie block font, right? Ya, I found some, but you needed to pay for them. So I was like, forget that.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

don't get me wrong, that is some damn PS for someone still in high school, i just want you to be aware that there is so so so much more involved and it's not always the glamorous job you hope it to be. the majority of stuff i work on is actually business stationery.
VforVIBE

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »the majority of stuff i work on is actually business stationery. But Graphic Design field is so broad you can do so many different things, from book covers to ads and t-shirts or well, here's a web site to check out...http://www.adigitaldreamer.com...s.htmQuote, originally posted by Kevzaz »I have no clue what college I am going to yet.What ever college you decide on, MAKE SURE YOU VISIT THEM before you decide on anything, also, if I may make a suggestion, The Art Institutes are great schools.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I got a 2 year scholarship for Penntech offered already. But I think I might turn it down, because my teacher said they don't have a great program there, and that I can get a better scholarship at better places.
Vivid_Art

Post by Vivid_Art »

I dont have a deviantart page, BUT I do have my own website eDigitalArt.com which im still working on. I actually do graphic design part time and my only piece of advice is don't count on school to teach you everything, you need to read up on techniques and tutorials on your own and constantly be building on your skills. Also one of my BIGGEST pet-peeves are the use of FILTERS!!!!!!!!!!!! Any moron can open a pic in photoshop and just with a click of a mouse add a filter, don't mean to be harsh but i hate filters!...so don't do it, lol. oh and V is right the Art institutes are great, i just graduated from the Illinois Institute of Art
VforVIBE

Re: (Vivid_Art)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Vivid_Art »V is rightMy three favorite words! Quote, originally posted by Vivid_Art » the Art institutes are great, i just graduated from the Illinois Institute of ArtI'm currently attending the Art Institute of Tampa, I'll have my bachelors degree in 2 years
kunkstyle

Re: (VforVIBE)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by Kevzaz »Haha, Kunk, I didn't know his real name. Thanks. And I will try to find that font, thanks for the suggestion. Its a movie block font, right? Ya, I found some, but you needed to pay for them. So I was like, forget that.Best place to find names : http://www.imdb.comYeah, it's a credit block font. I've got it somewhere in the depths of my hard drives. On my days off I'll take a look around for it for you.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

glad to see a couple other vibers on dA, my site is http://www.whydoidothis.deviantart.com its got a wide sampling of my photography....ive been shooting since i was 12 and have had photoj/sport stuff published in the dallas morning newsill add you guys though
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
kunkstyle

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by kunkstyle »

Wow - I love that 'dallas at night' photo.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »But Graphic Design field is so broad you can do so many different things, from book covers to ads and t-shirtsyes, but even with a great education, if you have no experience, you have to take what's available. i know, i've done it! please keep in mind that i am in the business and have taken the schooling, i am fully aware of what graphic designers do. the course i took at business school was graphic design. i spent about 5 hours a day 5 days a week learning hands on from people who were actual designers. i am satisfied doing prepress work, it allows me to learn how to make practical working files.kevzaz, tell me you know and use mac OS!!
VforVIBE

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx » use mac OS!!What's the difference between a brontosaurus and a Mac?A brontosaurus runs faster.Why aren't more Mac owners computer literate?They would be, if they had a computer.How many Mac users does it take to change a light bulb?Four. One to consult the manual that came with it, one to call tech-support, and two to sit and wait for the 'Smiley Face' to appear and say 'Welcome to Macintosh'.
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »What's the difference between a brontosaurus and a Mac?A brontosaurus runs faster.Why aren't more Mac owners computer literate?They would be, if they had a computer.How many Mac users does it take to change a light bulb?Four. One to consult the manual that came with it, one to call tech-support, and two to sit and wait for the 'Smiley Face' to appear and say 'Welcome to Macintosh'.I'm guessing you haven't used OS X. OS 9 was a slow piece of garbage, but OS X is the best operating system around.Plus the fastest Window's Vista notebook PC World tested this year (or ever) was a Mac: http://www.pcworld.com/article....html
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by Kevzaz »Thanks for the suggestions guys. I got a 2 year scholarship for Penntech offered already. But I think I might turn it down, because my teacher said they don't have a great program there, and that I can get a better scholarship at better places.I had a friend that went to The Art Istitute Of Pittsburgh. They have a great program there.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
VforVIBE

Re: (NibCrom)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »I'm guessing you haven't used OS X. OS 9 was a slow piece of garbage, but OS X is the best operating system around. As a matter of fact I have/do... my biggest pet peeve... those stupid little mouses you want to use the left button, but no, the right button rears it's ugly function, messing me up. *grumble* stupid mouse.
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »As a matter of fact I have/do... my biggest pet peeve... those stupid little mouses you want to use the left button, but no, the right button rears it's ugly function, messing me up. *grumble* stupid mouse.Alright, I'll give you that. I have a Logitech mouse at work, I'd say that works better than the Mighty Mouse I have at home. Apple seems a little too concerned with form over function when it comes to that.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i don't think the apple/PC war is gonna be necessary, but in the professional graphics world, 9 times out of 10, you are using a mac. once you get used to it, you never want to use PC again.
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »I have a Logitech mouse at work, I'd say that works better than the Mighty Mouse I have at home. Apple seems a little too concerned with form over function when it comes to that.Ever try a trackball mouse, those are fun.
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

Only when I'm playing Pac-Man. I actually really want to get a Wacom tablet for digitally inking pieces.
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »i don't think the apple/PC war is gonna be necessary, but in the professional graphics world, 9 times out of 10, you are using a mac. once you get used to it, you never want to use PC again.I'll disagree with that one. Used a mac for 2 years when I was doing media, and I'm back to a PC now. Not that the mac was bad or anything. I just prefer the PC's versatility/tweakability.Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »Only when I'm playing Pac-Man. I actually really want to get a Wacom tablet for digitally inking pieces.Don't make the same mistake I did. If you buy one, spend the money on the bigger size. I had a small one and it was great in theory, horrid in practice. Nothing worse than colouring outside the lines.
NibCrom

Re: (kunkstyle)

Post by NibCrom »

I was thinking about the 6x8 or the 9x12. Any thoughts on either?
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

i hate wacoms with a passion, my school bought them and we hate them...ours are pretty big too...like at least 8x12...i think they make a screen one, that would be useful on the otherhand...ive worked on both mac's and pc's for editing and doing audio work and they really arent that different i just hate not having a right clicker...i just hate when people rant about something they have never tried/owned/used...anyways...so only 3 people on here have a deviantart?
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
NibCrom

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by NibCrom »

Why do you hate them? What were you using them for? I'm looking at them to digitally ink my pencil drawings.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

when I went to penntech it had a very good program.. this was back in 1992
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

well ill start off by saying that im a traditionalist and i shoot film for everything but sports...i think a wacom is good for digital art people and designers but its horrible as a photo editing tool, the only thing that i really like about it is a pressure sensitive brush size in photoshop...i really dislike photoshop because i feel that manipulation destroys the point of photography...having shot large format, medium format, pinhole, tintypes, and everything in between, it should be learn to shoot it right the first time not oh ill fix it later in CS2...i hate that mentality...i have nothing against digital, ive shot more dslrs than most people have seen in their lives...i donno, i can rant for hours about this topic but it has nothing to do with a wacoms or deviantart anyways...
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Rawr, I hate macs. I know I will eventually have to use one. But I will avoid that time as long as possible. =p Oh, And I heard The Art Institute Of Pittsburgh was good too. But I kind of want to live in texas for some reason. =\ but kinda not since the texas chainsaw massacre movie came out. lol..
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Savannah College of Art and Design Great school for Graphic Design, got both my Bachelors and Masters from there. Spendy but worth it IMHO. Scholarships helped too. Interesting because they also have quite and extensive athletics program there as well, if you are into that. It was a HUGE selling point for me to play (NCAA Division III) and get an excellent design eduation.
wyatt89

Re: (Blanco_Diablo)

Post by wyatt89 »

yup, a few of my homies are going there right now and another couple will be heading off next year its a great school for design, little less for photog but its still good...expensive though...
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

eh, you hate mac because your not use to it. after you mess around with it for a while, you'll be fine. as for hating photoshop, yeah i think using it to fudge photos and act like it's a great shot you took is a bit shallow and lame. it is necessary sometimes though, not just for manipulation, but also to format and create file types. how else are you going to make a duotone?
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

duotones, you can do tri's as well in PS, have you ever done cyanotypes in a darkroom or used any sort of filter? you an get all sort of wild **** and its infinitely more fun than using a computer i love photoshop for cleaning up my neg and slide scans, i clean off all the dust because its next to impossible to do it with canned air or similar...here is a true mac story, my high school went to a photo and video competition every year down at UT in austin...we had 4 teams doing video editing (they only have one night to edit all their footage) and 2 of them were working on their powerbooks, well needless to say, everytime they tried to export to dv, they got the gray screen of death :D they managed to jack a hotel pc and put audition, after Affects, premiere pro, and some other crap onto it (this is like 2 in the morning) oh man it was amazing that they finished it lolboth the other teams using xp pro finished fine although one notebook got cranky near the end and didnt want to export either but it worked in the end...wow, i think that was the largest run on sentence in existence...anyways, yes macs crash and yes, its all personal preference...
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

I am going to try to talk to the graphic design teacher at the highschool to look at my stuff. Then maybe he will show good colleges. =]
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

I don't think a design teacher will go to any schools for you. I suggest you get a portfoilio together, one thing they always like to see is life drawing, See if there are any open model sessions in your area, it will only help when you sit down with schools. Gather your best work (8-10 pieces) and try to hit up a portfolio review. There are some set up like college fairs where multiple art schools convene on a college campus, tell you more about their curriculum, and review your portfoilio. I went to two, one at Syracuse and one at Pratt (Brooklyn) about 10 years ago. It was a great assortment of schools including School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Cooper Union, Parsons, etc. Syracuse has a pretty good program as well, just about all of them were expensive. F.I.T. is interesting because it is cheaper in comparison to most as it is part of NY's SUNY system as opposed to being a private university.Only a few of the "Art Institutes" offer Bachelor's degrees as opposed to an Associates. Pittsburgh for example did not. I feel like having gone to a school with name recognition did help in me get in the door for a pretty high profile internship with the company I work for now. After you finish researching, narow it down to two or three or four top choices and try to go visit the school. Take the official tour through admissions and apply to a few of them as well. You may not get accepted to all of them but it is good to have fallback plans.Also check out AIGA, http://www.aiga.org, they sponsor portfoilio reviews in association with professional design firms and big name designers (i.e. David Carson). They will review your portfolio and give you tips on how to make it better. Hope this helps.
keithvibe

Re: (Blanco_Diablo)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Blanco_Diablo »I don't think a design teacher will go to any schools for you. thats not true. Well in my case it isn't. It depends on your teacher, how good a relationship you have with them and if they are willing to forgo a weekend to help one of their students. I was lucky to have not only a teacher but a guidance counselor join me on one of the school open houses, helped me ask the right questions and get personal attention from some of the professors. When i started school all the professors remembered me because of what my teacher and counselor did for me. Can't hurt to ask!!
Blanco_Diablo

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

keithvibe, in your scenario that's awesome I'm just saying they are not going to shop around your portfolio for you while you wait for the offers to roll in. Sorry, didn't mean to come off negative, just saying it's good to do your own research and legwork. Having that support is excellent, just make sure not to put it all on the teacher. Unfortunately my teachers/counselors were not so helpful. They pushed military and local community colleges (ones without any design courses) very hard regardless of your transcripts and career interests. I ended up having to do much of the research myself. Kev, if you have someone to advocte on your behalf that's great. By all means utilize that connection. You're in a great place just by having some experience with design programs and a general idea of what carrer path you wish to persue.
Vivid_Art

Post by Vivid_Art »

hmm I dont really think putting your teacher up to doing all this extra work is neccesary, either your parents check book or your talent will get you in( i really hope its your talent). Honestly you would only need a super solid portfolio to get into a traditional art school. For graphic design, which is commercial art, not traditional, one wouldn't need such a solid portfolio or have your teacher talk you up( your art work should do the talking). Honestly just keep working on it, learning and preparing a few portfolio pieces. For commercial art schools all you need is to show them your check book and to show them that you have some artistic talent, some design sense.