It's finally here! Sigma came through!

Share your photos, discuss your camera, get advice or request "Photoshop" assistance.
millster

It's finally here! Sigma came through!

Post by millster »

After months and months of backorders, misorders and just general frustration, I finally received my new lens today. I haven't taken too many pictures WITH it, since I got it pretty late in the day but I did snap a quick shot OF it. I didn't mean to take it in B&W. I guess I had my little Canon set to B&W and forgot to set it back. Oh yeah, it's Sigma's 135-400mm F4.5-5.6. So far I'm impressed with the build quality for the price. I do wish the autofocus wasn't QUITE so noisy, though. It's also a little hard to hand-hold with autofocus enabled. The focus ring is at the rear of the lens and it's hard not to jam it with your hand. Of course with that focal distance, the slow aperture and the 4.5lb weight I don't think I'll be using this one off of my tripod very much. Well, enough rambling. I'm just really happy. I've been waiting for this one for a while.

Attached files
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

holy cow that's a lense! so..... why so big? should we start calling you Millster PI?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
millster

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by millster »

I guess I was feeling a bit... inadequate.There, I said it so nobody else has to. OK, all jokes aside I needed something a little further reaching for photographing birds and animals that you're normally not able to get too close to.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
ragingfish

Re: (millster)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by millster »I guess I was feeling a bit... inadequate. OK, all jokes aside I needed something a little further reaching for photographing birds and animals that you're normally not able to get too close to.a little further reaching?dude, looks like you can rival the hubble with that thing!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
millster

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by millster »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »a little further reaching?dude, looks like you can rival the hubble with that thing! Yeah, just a little! I COULD have gone with the "Sigmonster" which is 300-800mm but that would have been ridiculous. That and the fact that it's a few thousand dollars more than this one was. Truly, for the price I got on this lens there's nothing that can really compare and since I'm not really sure if I'll enjoy wildlife photography that much (it can be really frustrating trying to get just the right shot) I wanted to try it out with a lens that didn't cost me a fortune.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

sure you're just photographing birds and animals?? LOL. that's a mighty big lense!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
millster

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by millster »

Well, people are animals too right? There are a few other good uses (I swear they're all legal). Namely, I always wanted a closeup shot of the flame at the top of the flare tower in an oil refinery. I've never QUITE had the reach with any of my lenses to get it.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
ZubenElGenubi

Re: It's finally here! Sigma came through! (millster)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I've got a Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO lens for my Pentax and love it. Frankly, Sigma offers the best bang for the buck in the camera lens market.
millster

Re: It's finally here! Sigma came through! (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by millster »

No doubt! Especially in the case of FourThirds (and I imagine Pentax is similar). The lenses from the official FourThirds consortium members (Olympus, Leica, Panasonic) are just incredibly expensive. Sigma's offerings, while limited at this point, are a much better value especially given there is currently no widely available professional body that uses the FourThirds mount. There's no point in putting a $2000+ lens on something like my E500.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
damronjr

Re: (millster)

Post by damronjr »

Bet that cost a pretty penny!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Vibr8tr

Re: (damronjr)

Post by Vibr8tr »

Quote, originally posted by damronjr »Bet that cost a pretty penny! Why is the penny always pretty?That thing is huge, I bet you could take a picture of the Florida meet with that.... FROM YOUR HOUSE, lol.I am glad you are happy with it though,. It's always fun to see someone get something that gives them joy.... just think though.... that could ahve abeen a S/C
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
Kari

Post by Kari »

Wow, what a lens...reminds me of the things they use at Bristol Motor Speedway to take close-up pit shots from the top of the grandstands! LOL
GenVibe Global Moderator
GrayFox

Re: It's finally here! Sigma came through! (Kari)

Post by GrayFox »

my what a large... lens you have I think someone is compensating for something That's pretty cool millster So when do we get to see some pics of... whatever it is you'd need that thing for? lol
millster

Re: (damronjr)

Post by millster »

Going to try to reply to everyone in one post...Damronjr:Actually, it wasn't as much as you'd think. Even though it's a big lens, it's not exactly top-end. Vibr8tr:No S/C here. It wasn't nearly that expensive and at least for the moment the Cobalt is going to stay stock. Now, once the warranty is up and if I'm able to rebuild the engine in my truck all bets are off. Kari:That's another possible use... well, if we had such a facility here I guess. Of course this one might be a tad slow for that use. At F5.6 on the telephoto end, it needs quite a bit of light.ANO:I was waiting for that joke to come up! I'm surprised it took that long. As for when you'll see photos with it, I was hoping for today but once again it's snowing here. So if it stops snowing today maybe I'll get a few. Otherwise, it'll probably be later in the weekend. Thanks everyone. I know it may seem a bit odd to be so excited over something like this but I guess I'm just a "geek" that way.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
n2ho

Post by n2ho »

Nice lens, congratulations! Looking forward to see pics taken with it.George
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

thats awesome..im sure that cost ya a pretty penny, i know the local photography store has lenses similar to that and they're well into the $1000 range
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Cool, now you're ready to go stalk some peopl...er, animals! heheheSince everybody else is doing it........... That is a mighty big lens you have there... Can't wait to see how you can work it, big boy! lmaoLooking forward to the pics. Congrats on it. And P.S... Don't worry about getting excited about it, I've bought far lesser things that I felt the same way about. It's a geek thing.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
GrayFox

Re: It's finally here! Sigma came through! (ColonelPanic)

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »And P.S... Don't worry about getting excited about it, I've bought far lesser things that I felt the same way about. It's a geek thing. heck no don't worry about it... we're all geeks about something...
millster

Re: It's finally here! Sigma came through!

Post by millster »

Redfire:It really wasn't that bad. Shipped, it was just shy of $600. The Sigma lenses are really affordable. Had it been an actual Olympus it would have been at least twice that. As I've mentioned before, this isn't exactly a top quality lens either. It has little things about it that could be better for sure but really at the price it's hard to beat. n2ho:Thanks! I'll have something up soon. It's finally stopped snowing here but it's still really overcast so there isn't much in the way of lighting. I'm really hoping things clear out later in the weekend.CP and ANO:That's why I wasn't too worried about posting on here like I did. I knew I'd be in good company. At any rate, I've done a little more testing with it today and it should be quite a treat to use. For such a long lens, it's remarkably responsive and seems to be pretty clear. Once I get some real shots with it, I'll know more. I've been shopping around for a polarizing filter and IR filter for it but given the thread size, I think I'll be holding off on those for a while. For the ones I want, I'd be looking at about $250 each! OUCH!
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by millster »For the ones I want, I'd be looking at about $250 each! OUCH!haha & here I was thinking cars are expensive hobbies Camera stuff can get pretty pricey pretty quick. that's why I've only got a cheap digi-cam that was given to me, lol
millster

Re: It's finally here! Sigma came through! (ANO_Vibe)

Post by millster »

Oh yeah. It builds up REALLY quick. I've already spent quite a bit on my gear and I haven't even gone to the high-end of camera bodies or anything. But, it's starting to pay me back now so I guess it's been worth it. Of course when I'm getting paid I shoot with the studio's gear so...
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

With a lens like that, you should be able to see me way over here in Ohio (see, I'm waving right now). I expect the pic posted asap... LOL!
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
millster

Re: It's finally here! Sigma came through!

Post by millster »

Sample picture time!I didn't get too many with the new lens this weekend. With Easter, it was kind of busy so I didn't have a lot of time and now I'm working evenings shooting soccer photos and this weekend I have another high school dance to shoot so I probably won't have any better opportunites for a while.Anyway, here's one decent shot and this is actually at the wider end of the lens still. I was hand-holding so I probably wouldn't have been able to zoom in and still keep it steady that well.And yes, I know I blew the highlights in the photo. I had the camera set to center weighted metering from the night before (just testing) and forgot to set it back before shooting in the daylight.

Attached files
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

That's still awsome, and for us "non photo guru" type people, I would have had no idea any settings were "off" or "on" if you wouldn't have said anything....
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
rebbierae

Post by rebbierae »

I just saw this thread! Congrats on the new lens Wes--I know how excited you have been to get it, and I'm glad it FINALLY came and was worth the wait! You already take amazing pictures (or should I say your equipment does?) and I can't wait to see more of what the lens can do! EDIT: Ok, part of that is an inside joke between Wes and I. My Dad was a professional photographer, and he HATED it when people would say how good his photos were, and that he must have really GREAT equipment. He likened it to telling someone, "Wow, this food is really good--you must have GREAT pots!" Yes, good tools help make the most of your work, but you have to have talent and a good eye to take the kind of great photos that Wes (and others on here) do, and I only wish I had I had inherited some of that talent from my dad!
Vibr8tr

Re: It's finally here! Sigma came through! (rebbierae)

Post by Vibr8tr »

Quote, originally posted by rebbierea »Yes, good tools help make the most of your work, but you have to have talent and a good eye to take the kind of great photos that Wes (and others on here) do, and I only wish I had I had inherited some of that talent from my dad!I agree with you 100% on this, it takes talent with things like that, not the equiptment.BUT!!!!! (I am playing devils advocvate here, not trying to start a debate, just a discussion, please don't think I am being rude )My buddy used to say that with his music. He played guitar, and was AMAZING at it. He always would tell people that it didn't matter what kind of guitar you had, it all mattered how you used it. But one day, another friend brought over some equiptment, and even the first friend agreed by the end of playing with it, that equiptment can make some players sound better than they are.I am not saying if you have the equiptment it will make you good, I am just saying that it helps make things better. Without knowlege and talent you can't use it to it's potential.... but without equiptment, sometimes talen is wasted....on that note, I still do agree that you should praise peoples talents, and not how much stuff they can get to help them. We all know Millster is good at photography, even if we gave him a 35mm $20 walmart camera. Keep up the good work Millster (and all you other photo gurus)