Skylight 1A or 1B

Share your photos, discuss your camera, get advice or request "Photoshop" assistance.
GoLowDrew

Skylight 1A or 1B

Post by GoLowDrew »

I don't like the result of my UV (0) filter for portraits because the skin tone just look so washed out. Maybe it's the sun, maybe it's Walmart lab. Either case, the look is consistant.I used to have a Skylight filter 20 years ago which gave me good skin tone and also served as a lens protector.Is it 1A or 1B?I plan to use it on the (to-be-order) 50mm lens which I will use more for portaits and general low light situations.I did a websearch and found details that are meaning less to me. Plain and simple, 1A or 1B as a lens protector?
2004 Vibe, Auto Trans. Built Sept 2003. Date in service May 2004. Sold May 2006.
millster

Re: Skylight 1A or 1B (GoLowDrew)

Post by millster »

Here's my take on them...Don't waste your money. Especially if you're talking about low-light and portrait shots. Putting another piece of glass (generally of lower quality) in front of your lens is just going to degrade your image quality.On very rare occasions, I'll use a UV filter for landscapes to remove haze but even then it doesn't do much and even with my expensive multi coat filter, it doubles the chances of lens flare.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
ZubenElGenubi

Re: Skylight 1A or 1B (GoLowDrew)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I always use a 1A filter (Teffen) on my lenses. A good quality filter costs less than $20 and helps protect your lens. My brother is a professional wedding and portrait photographer and has a 1A filter on every lens in his arsenal.