AK, a moose!

Alaska, Hawaii
joatmon

AK, a moose!

Post by joatmon »

http://newsminer.com/view/full...mooseQuote »Two hurt in car crash while trying to avoid mooseFAIRBANKS — A Fairbanks woman was seriously injured in a crash Thusday night on Farmers Loop when she tried to avoid a moose and spun into oncoming traffic.Tammy L. Hartzog, 39, was listed in serious condition in the intensive care unit at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital on Friday. She suffered a broken pelvis and back and internal injuries but is expected to recover, trooper Keenan Mulvaney said.Hartzog was traveling west on Farmers Loop when a moose ran into the road near McGrath Road at approximately 5:15 p.m., causing her to lose control of her 2005 Pontiac Vibe, Mulvaney said. The vehicle spun into oncoming traffic and collided with a 1996 Ford pickup driven by Ray Turney, 68, of Fairbanks, who was heading east.Both vehicles received heavy damage, and Hartzog had to be removed from her car by emergency personnel.Turney was traveling about 40 mph at the time of the crash, and Hartzog’s injuries could have been more severe had he been going faster, Mulvaney said.“She was lucky he wasn’t going 55 or 60,” the trooper said.Hartzog and Turney were transported to the hospital. Turney was treated and released later that night, according to a nursing supervisor.Hartzog did avoid hitting the moose, according to a witness who was traveling behind her, Mulvaney said.Both Hartzog and Turney were wearing seatbelts and airbags deployed in both vehicles. The two vehicles were totaled.The accident forced troopers to close the east bound traffic on Farmers Loop for approximately two hours.Alcohol was not a factor in the accident and no violations were issued, Mulvaney said.It was the second serious Interior accident involving a driver who was swerving to avoid a moose in the past week.On Sunday, a Fairbanks woman who was a passenger in a pickup truck died when the driver swerved to dodge a moose on the Parks Highway near Healy and skidded into the ditch, causing the truck to roll several times.Diane Schultz, 45, who was not wearing a seat belt, was killed after being ejected from the truck driven by Margaret Stone, 51. Stone was transported to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.Hard to say if she would have faired any better if she had just hit the moose instead, those things are huge.
kostby

Post by kostby »

The topic of what to do was addressed on this episode of Mythbusters --> http://dsc.discovery.com/fansi....html

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

actually, last night, a friend of mine's two eldest kids were driving home and totaled their Suburban when they hit a moose. Thankfully they were OK, shaken up but OK.and no, no pic of the dead moose.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
06pvibe

Re: AK, a moose! (joatmon)

Post by 06pvibe »

And here I thought this topic would be about Rocky and Bullwinkle. (Re: Moose and Squirrel.)Seriously though, accidents are always sad, especially the senseless ones and those that could've been avoided, present topic accepted of course.(In other words, I was speaking generally... not specifically to these two situations. I don't want anyone to misunderstand my meaning.)
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
joatmon

Re: (kostby)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by kostby »The topic of what to do was addressed on this episode of Mythbusters --> http://dsc.discovery.com/fansi....htmlI used to watch but now can not tolerate that show. Spare me the hassle, what was their finding?
DressedInBlack

Re: (joatmon)

Post by DressedInBlack »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I used to watch but now can not tolerate that show. Spare me the hassle, what was their finding?same with me. they can never be wrong so they do the myth until they get the results they want...when my mum lived in Alaska, she saw a bull moose in the road. it was icy, if you can fathom that, so she slid toward the moose. being a territorial bull, he actually charged the car.my mum donated the moose meat to a church.
http://
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

we have a road kill program for non profits (churches mostly) that when a moose is killed via vehicle, they will call you and you go out and get it, process it and as long as half of the meet goes to charity/food bank, you can keep the rest for your organization.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I finally found the thread this one reminded me ofhttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5760
star_deceiver

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by star_deceiver »

Moose..... came close to one before... man that thing was huge!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

All of those injuries only going 40? That makes me a little nervous about the Vibe..
06pvibe

Re: (09vGT)

Post by 06pvibe »

Haven't you heard? Cars can be dangerous things. No one is ever completely safe while driving or riding.And not to get preachy here (of course I will anyway,) but it continues to amaze me how other driver's, human beings with the ability to process thoughts and weigh consequences can casually take their lives and the lives of others in their hands because they can't wait a few minutes to answer a cell phone call or respond to a text, put on makeup, read a newspaper, write a reminder note, drink and drive, etc, etc.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Current estimate of my friends burb shown above is $10,000 and climbing.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
09vGT

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by 09vGT »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »Haven't you heard? Cars can be dangerous things. No one is ever completely safe while driving or riding. This is for sure! But a broken pelvis AND back! I mean DANG! Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »Current estimate of my friends burb shown above is $10,000 and climbing. Wow! Airbags deploy?
joatmon

Re: (09vGT)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »All of those injuries only going 40? That makes me a little nervous about the Vibe..the article didn't say, and there were no pictures, so its hard to say, but I could see those kinds of injuries if the vibe was spun sideways and the truck hit the Vibe right at the driver door.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

yes, airbags did deploy.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS