anyone here from Fairbanks?

Alaska, Hawaii
joatmon

anyone here from Fairbanks?

Post by joatmon »

I might be up up there for a visit before long, this cheechako's got some questions
808 Vibes

Re: anyone here from Fairbanks?

Post by 808 Vibes »

Unfortunately, I think the AK/HI section has been dormant for years. I refer to this site:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/fairbanks/
I'm sure someone will respond! Good luck!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

well, been there and came back. Did see one Vibe, couldn't tell what year/variant

Fairbanks is a small city, quiet in March, should have known better but got caught off guard at how many things closed early in the winter, or for the entire winter. During the day, spent more time and money than I should have looking for a restaurant that epitomized the area/culture, but the area and culture are not epitomized by cuisine, and would have been better off just cooking in the hotel. Went out of the city each night to a couple of nearby domes (round top mountains) and saw some good auroras, which was the main reason for us going, so the trip was a success. The ice carving competition was ongoing while I was there, those were truly impressive.

Being from the mid atlantic and seeing how we react here to winter road conditions, I was worried about getting around. Hadn't snowed there for may be two months. The roads were a mix of clear stretches and some with snow packed into ice, but the sand/gravel they spread made for sure footing. Easy enough to drive around there, rented a subaru forester, but I think any car with good snow tires would have been fine. Only got the subaru's ABS to kick in when I deliberately tried to do so.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Coooooool! I'm so glad your trip was safe and successful. I saw something (it must have been PBS because I don't have cable) about Aurora Borealis. People camp out and take all these pics of it. I hope to see it someday (and Alaska, of course!) We'll make our way around eventually.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~