Vibe meet up

List events, gatherings, rallies, meets, etc.
Satinfatboy

Vibe meet up

Post by Satinfatboy »

So I am new to the vibe forum and I was wondering when there might be a vibe meet up in Maryland. I would love to meet other vibe owners and see what they have done, or some of their ideas for their vibes.
vibenvy

Re: Vibe meet up

Post by vibenvy »

Hmmm... I'm not sure if we have any active members in MD. If you're on Facebook and haven't already done so, join the GenVibe group on there as it's much more active than the forum, so you'll stand a much better chance of finding members in your area.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Satinfatboy

Post by Satinfatboy »

Gotcha will definitely be looking into the Facebook group I don't get on Facebook very much but I will to look into it thankyou
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Back in the day, something about the old forum software made people more likely to specify their location in their profile, but now few people show that info. Also, I noticed that I tend to view the site on my smartphone, and the mobile view doesn't show that info in threads, if it is even there. Even back when Vibes were new and regional meets were happening, mid-Atlantic was a kind of dead zone.

I am related to a few facebook addicts, and because of the example of their compulsive addiction, I never signed up, so I don't know what activity and topics get discussed on facebook vibe group. I often see people here get redirected to there, and the mods and admins here don't mind, so I guess I'm missing out on a bunch
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

joatmon wrote: Even back when Vibes were new and regional meets were happening, mid-Atlantic was a kind of dead zone.

Yeah, the 8 years that I've been around has seen the mid-west as the highest district of activity as far as meets go. Most of us don't mind a 4-6 hour drive to head to other cities to meet up with fellow GenVibers!
joatmon wrote: I am related to a few facebook addicts, and because of the example of their compulsive addiction, I never signed up,

:lol: Excellent response and you hit the nail right on the head on that one :lol: The very few times that I ever had to visit Facebook (and only if it offered a public site) I sought out what I wanted to see and LEFT! Too much drama for me :roll:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

joatmon wrote:I often see people here get redirected to there, and the mods and admins here don't mind, so I guess I'm missing out on a bunch
I didn't know GenVibe in the good old days, since I only came around in 2013, but it was definitely slowing down by then. So, take my opinion as that of latecomer to the forum.

I generally see the FB Group as an extension of the forum, especially since all of the Admins of the FB group are members here, though not all that active anymore. Most of what's going on there is general chit chat, people asking quick questions, and others showing off the latest mods (or just showing off). I think most of the more active FB users are also members here, much like myself.

The forum is definitely better for the garage threads documenting mods and finding how-to information. I try to direct people asking those sorts of questions here to the relevant threads, but sadly, many of those threads are either broken from the Photobucket disaster or are hard to find due to broken links from the software update awhile back. For example "The Great How-To Modifcation Index!" is all sorts of broken. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=20710 If you're lucky, you might be able to search and find the thread you're looking for from that list, but chances are the post itself is somehow broken.

One last thought. There's also an ease of use that's missing on the forum. In order to post pics, you've got a few hoops to jump through to get them in your post. You've got to resize them, then upload them, and then place into your post... or you upload them to a third party service and post the link. That's possibly worth the effort for a garage thread or a how-to, but not something I'd want to do for every post. I know there is forum software out there that can streamline that for you, but GenVibe isn't using it. Many forums have their own mobile apps or can at least be used with apps like Tapatalk. The GenVibe mobile site is usable, but suffers from the same limitations as the desktop site. With Facebook, its so easy just to upload a pic or two and add a comment "Hey look at this cool thing I did!" and you're done and you see feedback roll in.

Anyway. My 2 cents.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

That's OK. Joatmon and I are now in our 15th season here and we'll be here to answer your questions up until the lights go out and the wrecking ball arrives.
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

Caretaker wrote:That's OK. Joatmon and I are now in our 15th season here and we'll be here to answer your questions up until the lights go out and the wrecking ball arrives.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Misanthrope wrote:
Caretaker wrote:That's OK. Joatmon and I are now in our 15th season here and we'll be here to answer your questions up until the lights go out and the wrecking ball arrives.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya know.. that's all well and good... but on a serious note, this place could use a little remodeling to keep that wrecking ball away a little bit longer.

I still enjoy coming here to the forum and I've honestly been finding myself here even more lately. I recently laid out my gripes in a different thread, so I'm not going to completely rehash that here. However, for me the biggest issues are all the broken links, particularly in the Great How-To Index, and the hoops to jump through to post pictures.

Not being an admin and familiar with the site's backend, I don't know how feasible it would be to update the forum. As a concerned user, I just think it might be worth investigating.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.