Eclipse Gatherings Aug 21st

List events, gatherings, rallies, meets, etc.
Derf

Eclipse Gatherings Aug 21st

Post by Derf »

Many people are planning to travel in order to view the solar eclipse on Aug 21st. Thought a tread for chance meetings along the eclipse route might be interesting. With several hours buildup to the few actual minutes of eclipse totality, could provide an interesting experience. For those directly in the totality line, perhaps they can share viewing spots for mini meetups.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
ImUrOBGYN

Re: Eclipse Gatherings Aug 21st

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

We'll be driving from College Station, TX to Pope county, Southern Illinois for the eclipse.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'll be reclining with a bottle of red Zin on my right and the remote on my left as I watch it on TV. For a brief few minutes of entertainment, it just ain't worth it.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Unless the weather changes looking at heading to Paducah Ky.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hmmmmm .... Seeing how it's on a Monday I probably could escape for part of the day and head south along with Derf ... BUT won't know my schedule until that day. Worse case I'll have my welding helmet with me and can look at the partial eclipse from what we'll see up here in NW Ohio :shock:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Derf

Post by Derf »

As the event gets closer traffic looks to be a big concern especially near the public viewing areas. Those aiming for Kentucky found this:
https://www.facebook.com/solareclipsefranklinky2017/
Check out the link to the Drive-In, paved parking with a snack bar, restrooms and right off the interstate. Probably not going to be the most photographic area sitting in a parking lot, but easy access and everyone will be looking up at the sky.
The Race track up the road has a huge parking lot and grass infield, but they make no mention of events for visitors on Aug 21st.
Weather permitting, this looks like my current destination.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

We already had the trip planned. Her parents have some property waayyy out in the middle nowhere. The eclipse is just a bonus. 8-)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

DIdn't want to say earlier because its not good opsec to advertise on the internet that you'll be out of state for a week, but we had a family get together in Estes Park CO, then ran up to Fort Laramie, WY for the eclipse. Had totally clear sky for the eclipse, and some smoky haze from western WY wildfires that during totality, the 360 degree mid day sunset effect was pretty spectacular.

Rental car company gave me a Dodge Journey, which I mention since this is a car forum. Had an incredibly feeble 4 cylinder, my Vibe would have handled the rockies better. Visibility out the rear was poor, and something about the dash/windshield set up put a lot of reflected glare whenever driving anywhere near towards the sun. However, it rode smooth and quiet, very little road or wind noise, even on WY's 80 mph highways

Ran up north WY some through Thunder Basin, can drive for what seems like hours without seeing a single tree. I miss green when I'm out there, makes home seem like a rainforest.
Last edited by joatmon on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

Hope everyone who travelled got to see totality!

I made hotel reservations over a year ago, near Land Between the Lakes, KY. No traffic trouble going there, or on the day, but had to drive way out in the boonies on the way back to avoid the traffic jams on major roads. Only took 5 hours to get home, though (as opposed to 2.5 going).

Was afraid of clouds building up to the north about 2 hours out, but at 30 minutes out we had a pretty much cloudless sky, and that remained for totality - gorgeous view and great experience!
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799