GenVibe meet 2014: The Planning

List events, gatherings, rallies, meets, etc.
KITT222

GenVibe meet 2014: The Planning

Post by KITT222 »

A-hem. After quite a successful GenVibe 2013 meet in Pontiac, Illinois, I think we can begin planning on another meet. With a great influx of newbies it could be a great way to inject more life into this community built around a silly station wagon/hatchback. And since Carrie and I were discussing immediately starting planning for 2014, this is actually late, thus:

GENVIBE 2014 MEET: THE PLANNING THREAD

We have plenty of things to go over to get this really moving, such as date, location, place of meet, things we'll do, and amenities. Let's start with...

The date:Mid-late June has worked out FANTASTICALLY the past two years. I suggest we keep to that range of dates. I suggest we do June 14, or June 21. My interest lies with June 21, being the third Saturday of June, just like for 2013.

Locations: Pontiac, Illinois was great because I took a big suggestion from last year, locate it centrally, and we got a good response. Illinois is close to the center of the GenVibe community. We have people from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, and even Colorado arrive. Many said instead of location being an issue they couldn't make the Erie, PA meet, it was their own schedule. As such, it should stay somewhat near Illinois (a lot of Vibers are Illinoisans anyway). Here are a few suggested locations:

Pontiac, IL (I'm sure they'd love to have us back)
Pontiac, MI - good proximity to some of our Canadian friends, and still close enough that many of us attending for 2013 said MI wouldn't be too far of a haul.
Twin Cities, MN - I'll admit, I'm biased. But I'm only a "few" miles west of Pontiac, MI.

Other not-so-central locations:

Colorado Springs, CO - Beautiful, Pikes Peak, Jason lives there, but N/A cars (read: most of the rest of us) would suffer pretty hard.
Tail of the Dragon, Tennessee - GREAT windy road, unfortunately plagued by other car clubs, motorcyclists, and cops. That's fine, other surrounding roads are decent, too.
St. Louis, MO - Well, if you want central to the US...
Erie, PA - previous meet in Erie went great

We will nail down precise meet point and amenities once we get a location settled.

Feel free to suggest dates and locations. This year was extremely fun, and I highly recommend coming to this next one.

Thanks everyone!
vibenvy

Re: GenVibe meet 2014: The Planning

Post by vibenvy »

I vote for Pontiac, Illinois for a few reasons:

1.) It was a great area - Not a lot of traffic, no "iffy" areas, everything was within minutes of the host hotel and easily accessible right off of Interstate 55 and as Nick mentioned, Pontiac is pretty centrally located.

2.) Everyone we encountered and dealt with couldn't have been nicer: The Best Western staff, the tourism people, the Pontiac Museum people, Bernardi's staff, Pontiac Family Kitchen staff, locals, etc.

3.) The Best Western was a perfect choice for the host hotel: Their parking lot was a little small, but this was my only complaint and it's a very minor one at best. The rooms, lobby, pool, etc. were all very nice and clean and as I mentioned earlier, the employees were very friendly and helpful.

4.) The Pontiac Family Kitchen was great: They had no issues with accomodating our large group for dinner and again for breakfast. Their prices, service and food were all great. And as we found out, the restaurant is right by a huge empty parking lot which is perfect for group photos :P!

5.) Planning would be much easier since we've already been there once. Nick can provide whoever volunteers to plan everything with names, phone numbers, etc. of people to contact. I'd say we left a good GV mark on Pontiac, so setting stuff up again shouldn't be an issue.

That's all I can think of for now. All in all, as I have told Nick numerous times, this year's meet couldn't have gone any better IMO. I look forward to contining to help in any way I can for the planning of the 2014 meet. If the meet ends up being somewhere other than Pontiac, Illinois, I will do my best to make it. It really comes down to how far it is though i.e. Colorado Springs would probably be pretty iffy for me due to the amount of time I would have to take off of work, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

*EDIT* As I typically do with any important threads regarding meets, I added the link for this thread to my signature. Hopefully it will get more people to check out this thread and post their opinions.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Bookface consensus agrees... Pontiac, IL may be the place to go. By no means am I complaining. Heck, I might even be volunteering to be organizer again :roll: However, more input from more sources would be nice. Somehow this year actually ended up close enough to perfect that it could be hard to divert. Maybe start... an annual GenVibe Pontiac, IL meet? ;)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I think an annual GenVibe meet in Pontiac, Illinois would be awesome! It's not like we're a rowdy bunch, so I don't think the Pontiac people would mind either :P.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

As in the 7th circle of he-double hockey sticks (facebook), I reiterate, Pontiac was a good time, and I would return every year if there were a meet there.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Cruise night in Pontiac was great! The only thing I was kind of disappointed in was the drive to Starved Rock. It was a long, flat, straight drive with five minutes of fun at the end on the park road. Just glancing at google maps I'm not seeing much in the way of winding roads in the area (not a huge surprise, Illinois is pretty flat). I'd definitely go if we choose Pontiac again, but I'd be for skipping the drive and doing something like grilling lunch in a park before the cruise night instead. It may be a bit early to nail down a date, wherever we decide, since event dates like the cruise night aren't scheduled that far in advance.
Image  Image
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Well I did enjoy Pontiac a lot. I do however think Colorado springs would be a great place to have a meet.

1 There are so many nice roads to drive and I have a great route planed if it is here to http://www.bishopcastle.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 Garden of the Gods enough said.
3 Seeing how their has been a few meets central and to the east. One more to the west might give some of the genvibers more to the west a chance to make one.
4 the place I would like to use as base camp can accommodate all types because they have cabins, tent sites and many other amenities. Their are also many hotels in the area. Here is the web site to the camp ground, http://www.rvcoutdoors.com/gardenoftheg ... omparison/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; BBQ time :D
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Hmm.. if you REALLY wanted to go CENTRAL, I live very close to the geographical center of the lower 48. Unfortunately that happens to be in the middle of nowhere, and there really isn't much of a place I am familiar enough with to plan much with.

I don't really count, but since it is possible that I will be MOVING to the Springs area this coming summer, that's my vote! If not moving, we will be making more scouting trips like we did this year.

Making my second trip up Pikes Peak this summer, I saw that a Vette club must have been having a summit cruise, there were several in a row, all different years, many with GoPros... I thought, man that would be the ultimate! It was fun to listen to my wastegate chatter up a storm going up the mountain. The only place I ever hear it make that noise is summiting the Peak, in that limbo where 3rd is too high and 2nd is too low.

Even a ride down Greenhorn Highway to Bishop's Castle or Lake Isabel would be an amazingly fun and exhilarating mountain run, but way less populated.
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Colorado Springs might be a great place, but location relative to the GV population is pretty thin. There's a rather large population in the state of Illinois alone, and on the Great Lakes.
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

So, Camogirl just a little warning if you roll through my home town with out coming to get a ticket and a hand shake from me I will have to come find you and put a bad post-it note on your car...lol ;)
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I'm game for ANY mid-western location including Pontiac Ill again ;) However; just to keep with variety I'd say we choose a different site. Pontiac Mi would be good and I wouldn't mind heading a bit further west to the Mn territory. Count me in wherever it ends up being. I just hope to actually get a few more mods done over this upcoming winter :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Nick- there may be a big population there, but even better reason then to give them a reason to go out of state and see something new :D

Jason- I looked to see if you we're in the train last time I was on the peak, didn't see ya! One of these times I will ride up, but I love driving up.
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Well... There's always Minnesota for a meet. Good proximity, a non-too-arduous drive (hope you like corn), nice people, etc... Only thing is, there's not a whole lot of enjoyable roads. We could try down by the river, there's some decent roads there, actually. Or Wisconsin. But yeah, Minnesota would be a neat place kinda sorta maybe :? ;)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

*bump*

Any more opinions on this?
mrbravo2000

Post by mrbravo2000 »

I think the Pontiac Ill meet is a great idea but it would get boring quick after several years. Also, it wouldnt give other members a chance to visist. I would humbly suggest doing a bi annunal change of scene. In other words, every other year would be a different venue and teh other years would be at Pontiac. For example, 2013 was Pontiac, so 2014 would be TN, 2015 back at Pontiac, 2016 TX, etc... that would maintain the traditional venue but also add some change to the adventure every other year. thats just my suggestion.
DTeck

Post by DTeck »

For newer people that may be interested in attending, what normally happens at these meets? And would members who haven't been on the site long be welcome?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

DTeck wrote:For newer people that may be interested in attending, what normally happens at these meets? And would members who haven't been on the site long be welcome?
Everyone is welcome! The more the merrier!

Here's a rundown of what happened at the meet in Pontiac, IL this past June...

A small group of us showed up Friday afternoon/evening. We hung out in the parking lot chatting and checking out each others' Vibes. We ended up cruising together to downtown Pontiac where we met up with a couple more members who were already downtown for dinner. We ate as a group, than everyone kind of did their own thing. A couple went to the movie theater to see 'Man Of Steel', a couple walked around downtown and some went back to the hotel. Those of us that went back to the hotel, hung out in the parking lot some more until heading off to bed. Saturday morning we all met up downtown with a few more members who had arrived from out of the town that morning. Most of us did a cruise to Starved Rock State Park in Ottawa, IL. We stopped by the Starved Rock Visitor's Center and took some group photos and hung out for a bit before heading back to Pontiac. We all ended up back in downtown Pontiac where we participated in the Pontiac Cruise Night. We had special parking reserved for us right in front of the Pontiac/Oakland Automotive Musuem. We were taken on a special tour of the museum and everyone just kind of hung out and enjoyed the Cruise Night. After the Cruise Night, we all drove as a group to a local restaurant where we did a group photo in a parking lot and than ate dinner as a group. After dinner, everyone either headed home or back to the hotel. It was raining, so no one really hung out in the parking lot or anything that night. The next morning, there was a small group of us left that had breakfast together before we went out seperate ways. It was a great time!

Just curious, where exactly are you at in southern Illinois? Perhaps we could get a small Illinois meet setup before winter hits. We've had a couple Chicagoland meets over the years that have always been fun.
DTeck

Post by DTeck »

I live in Herrin, Illinois. I typed Pontiac IL in my phone because I had never heard of it and it says its 4 1/2 hours north. Your town it says is 5 1/2 hours north. I need to get some mods on this car, I can't show up at a meet in a bone stock car. lol
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

DTeck wrote:I live in Herrin, Illinois. I typed Pontiac IL in my phone because I had never heard of it and it says its 4 1/2 hours north. Your town it says is 5 1/2 hours north. I need to get some mods on this car, I can't show up at a meet in a bone stock car. lol
Hmmm... never heard of it. You must be really far south if you're 5.5 hours from me! Did I read correctly in another post of yours that you drive a 2008 Corolla? We actually had a Corolla owner meet up with us at our meet in Indy back in 2010, so you most definitely wouldn't be out of place! Afterall, the Corolla and Vibe do share the same engine, among other things. Don't worry about having a stock vehicle. There have been plenty of owners with stock vehicles at the Vibe meets I've been to. The Vibe community is not known for giving people a hard time about what they do or don't have done to their vehicle. For us, it's more about the owner than the vehicle, although obviously the vehicle is what brings us all together in the first place. Vibe owners are very laid back and by the time you leave a meet, you will have a lot of new friends ;)! If you are interested in modifying your vehicle though, you have just under a year until the next meet so you better get a move on :P!
DTeck

Post by DTeck »

If you know where SIU-C is, its 10 minutes away. I own a '08 Vibe base 5-speed. I drive an '08 Corolla for work (the drug store owns it). When it was time to replace my '94 Sonoma, I just looking for a 4-cyl 5-spd car for fuel economy and ended up buying a Vibe.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

DTeck wrote:If you know where SIU-C is, its 10 minutes away. I own a '08 Vibe base 5-speed. I drive an '08 Corolla for work (the drug store owns it). When it was time to replace my '94 Sonoma, I just looking for a 4-cyl 5-spd car for fuel economy and ended up buying a Vibe.
Ah, okay so you do own a Vibe! Sweet! Post some pictures of it when you get a chance! And I sort of know approximately where SIU is, so yeah you're pretty far down there :P!
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

I'm a new guy to the group - just got my first Vibe (2006 GT) about a month ago and I'm likin it...
I'd be in favor of Pontiac, IL for the get together in late June. I've done a number of these type events with a Corvette club, and it's always a good time.
Keep me posted!
Jarhead
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe jarhead! Be sure and make an introduction thread in the Vibe Lounge to introduce yourself and your "new" Vibe ;)!
MorbidAngel

Post by MorbidAngel »

I'm up for Pontiac, IL next year !! this years meet was fun

I'll also throw in my vote for Minnesota <evil grin>

Tim O
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Woo, another vote! Thanks for bumping, I had been meaning to update this....

SO: Pontiac, Illinois is first in the running for next year's meet. May I also say the same time of year will work? Any ideas? We can shift the meet point, but keep in mind we have an amazing turnout to last year's meet in Pontiac, and most owners are for some reason located in a hub around Illinois. Also feel free to check out the GenVibe bookFace page, as several of us are always there.
Zvibe2004

Post by Zvibe2004 »

Im all for Pontiac again, had a blast being part of the local cruise in night vibe takeover. only thing i didnt like was al the one way streets, and when jason decided to romp it on our way to starved rock..... lol. I dont know if i'll be able to make it or not, due to work, but i will definately try my best. hopefully my vibe will be looking alot better by then, maybe not faster, but definately lower and with nice shoes. I guess I'll have to wait to outrun jason till the 2015 meet ;)
2004 Base Vibe, 134,000 on the clock and still tickin'
born automatic, NOT ANYMORE!!! it's a 6 speed now!! :D
its gonna be a mean vibe someday, to about the tune of 350-400 whp ;)
LavaIlliniVibe

Post by LavaIlliniVibe »

I would try to attend if it is in Pontiac... only about 2 hours away for me :P
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

If it were in Pontiac mi about 20 minutes from me I would definitely be there with the rally car... a 6 hour drive to Pontiac Illinois is a bit far to drive the rally car... my ears would be ringing for days :)
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

dgekiere wrote:If it were in Pontiac mi about 20 minutes from me I would definitely be there with the rally car... a 6 hour drive to Pontiac Illinois is a bit far to drive the rally car... my ears would be ringing for days :)
I'll drive it... :D
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

If nobody has other places to consider that others will discuss too heavily, I think I might initiate the emails with Pontiac, IL as late as next month.
DRYfrosty04

Post by DRYfrosty04 »

*Sigh* I could have done Colorado. Can't do Illinois.
I'm out this year.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I would love to go, if I can talk the wife into it (hehe). It'll be my first meet and a nice 12 hourish drive for me.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
navyrican

Post by navyrican »

If its in Pontiac IL I think i can make it for the next meet. I will be most likely be living in Maryland and have family in Chiacago so i would just leave a few days early go to chicago which is only an hour away from Pontiac and attend the meet. It would be awesome to meet and hang out with all of you :)
navyrican

Post by navyrican »

DRYfrosty04 wrote:*Sigh* I could have done Colorado. Can't do Illinois.
I'm out this year.
Thats a shame, i would have loved to have seen your car in person.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

navyrican wrote:chicago which is only an hour away from Pontiac
FYI, Chicago is actually about 3 hours from Pontiac. I'm in Sandwich which is about 1-1.5 hours west of Chicago and Pontiac is about 2 hours south of Sandwich.

Assuming it is in Pontiac and Ron (areles) comes again, it'd be great to have a 3rd Liquid Platinum Metallic 2009 Vibe GT to take pictures with :cool:!
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I'm in for St. Louis if only because I would visit my daughter while I was there. :D

Other than that, I'd go for Pontiac, MI or Erie, PA since they're only just under 4hrs from me. My only reasons are distance/time. No offense to anyone, but I can't fathom driving any further to a meet for my daily driver no matter how much I enjoy it. I generally only make one big "auto" trip specifically for the car I'm driving and that's usually to Texas for the annual Supra meet.

Has anyone thought of having it closer to eastern Ohio? You WILL FIND some of THE BEST driving roads here and I've lived all over. (No, I'm not talking about Hocking Hills as that falls almost in the "Tail of the Dragon problems" category.)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Well, I've sent the email today for Pontiac, Illinois. It's central enough to the Vibe populous that enough people can join. As for date, late June/early July... Possibly weekend of the 4th of July. What do the people think?
mhoffman

Post by mhoffman »

Do not do Pontiac MI, Nothing to do there.... The place is run down. I live in Milford not far from there so trust me i would rather dive some were els. pontiac ill works.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

mhoffman wrote:Do not do Pontiac MI, Nothing to do there.... The place is run down. I live in Milford not far from there so trust me i would rather dive some were els. pontiac ill works.
We have permission! Woo!

I emailed the Pontiac tourism board this Sunday. Here was their response:
Hi Nick,

Great, we would be happy to assist. Do you have a date in mind? If not I'd
like to suggest a few. The first one that comes to mind is September 20
-21st. The all Pontiac Car Show. The show is held on Sunday, but they do
tours and such on Saturday as well. I've attached the flyer and registration
information for that.

The other suggestions would be any of the dates below. I suggest these dates
as we already have a group in town and our local theatre group, the
Vermillion Players, are performing this year's complimentary musical revue,
at the beautiful Chautauqua Park Pavilion at 7:30 PM. It's titled "On the
Mother Road Again". This 45 minute revue is a lot of fun, and free!

May 4th - this is the annual Red Carpet Corridor Festival, find out more
about that here http://www.il66redcarpetcorridor.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May 17th - I have a classic car club in town this weekend.
July 26 - I have a coach bus group tour in town this weekend.

Let me know if any of these dates work for you, or if you have another time
in mind and we'll get plans started.

Warm Regards,
Ellie Alexander,CTIS
Tourism Director
City of Pontiac
115 W. Howard St.
Pontiac, IL. 61764
Last year it was on Saturday, June 22nd. I was hoping around the same time this year as well. Over the GV FB page we had an idea to do it during the 4th of July weekend, if people are willing to come out. Chances are you will have time off, as the 4th is a Friday this year, I believe. Fireworks, Americana on Route 66, and Vibes in Pontiac... What do the people think?
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

FWIW, the matrix owners meet is may 16-18 in Erie, pa this year...I'll be there
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

thebarber wrote:FWIW, the matrix owners meet is may 16-18 in Erie, pa this year...I'll be there
Sweet, so will I. I do have a bit less drive to the HCMO this year. That's the week after finals and the start of summer break. I guess I need to read the HCMO forum more LOL.

As for July 4th weekend, we haven't done anything to celebrate in the last few years. It may be a go for us if I can save up enough for the trip.
kostby

Post by kostby »

We'll try to make it to Pontiac this year!
Last year an expensive Vibe A/C repair shortly before the meet derailed our plan to attend.

A few years ago, there was discussion of holding a meet in H-E-Double-hockey-sticks, Michigan. FWIW, yesterday, H-E-Double-hockey-sticks froze over: http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news/5 ... n-us_msnhp
The language filter won't let me actually use aitch e ell ell

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

hotbug1776 wrote:
thebarber wrote:FWIW, the matrix owners meet is may 16-18 in Erie, pa this year...I'll be there
Sweet, so will I. I do have a bit less drive to the HCMO this year. That's the week after finals and the start of summer break. I guess I need to read the HCMO forum more LOL.

As for July 4th weekend, we haven't done anything to celebrate in the last few years. It may be a go for us if I can save up enough for the trip.
try joining the HCMO group on Facebook...
Kinleysman

Post by Kinleysman »

I really don't know if my opinion matters in this subject or any subjects but I'll try it any way.

I am absolutely in love with my vibe and ohhhhh man how I want to come to a meet however the recent meets have been quite a haul and I have not been able to make them. The one in Pontiac IL is 10 hours and 3 mins from me.

I live in the Montoursville/Williamsport area in Pennsylvania and I am 4 to 4 and half hours from Erie, PA.

I would love to see the Vibe meet in Central PA once just as a trial, I travel in my county quite a bit and there are thousands of vibes crawling all over my area, and it would help me achieve one of my dreams of being a part of a vibe meet.

The mall in Lycoming County has a huge parking lot, there's also Two other plaza's that could be used. Plus it would bring some life to a routine driven town that needs something different.

I think the turn out would be incredible and if you advertise on the local news vibers will show their support!!!

Sincerely a Viber
Jake
Last edited by Kinleysman on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I'm just north of you, W-B/Nanticoke area. It'll take me about 12 hours to get to the meet and think the trip would be fun. But a closer one would also be nice.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kinleysman

Post by Kinleysman »

kaflex wrote:I'm just north of you, W-B/Nanticoke area. It'll take me about 12 hours to get to the meet and think the trip would be fun. But a closer one would also be nice.
I agree, I am in search of some new friends if you are ever near my area let me know, you can shoot me a text and maybe hang out or something, 57zero - 50six - 17 three 0
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

If it's in Pontiac, IL I'd like to go again, however family obligations on the 4th weekend would probably prevent it.
Image  Image
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

The matrixowners also use Pittsburgh as a meet spot....maybe next year
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

The Fourth weekend appears to be a favorable date, so as of now, save the dates! After an email I've learned that there aren't many real celebrations in Pontiac for the 4th, but everything is still open and enjoyable.
areles

Post by areles »

Hi all,

I plan to be there if it's somewhere in the Great Lakes area.

Areles