Genvibe Meet 2013!

List events, gatherings, rallies, meets, etc.
hotbug1776

Re: Genvibe Meet 2013!

Post by hotbug1776 »

areles wrote:Hi all,

I'll be there in Pontiac for Friday and Saturday.

Areles (Ron)
YESSSS!!!! Had us worried for a second there, Ron.
Wouldn't be the same without you.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Areles (Ron)
WOOHOO! We got Ron. We'll see you there.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Areles (Ron)
Awesome! Can't wait to see you and my twin Vibe again Ron :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Consider me (Shawn) confirmed, I'll be there.
Image  Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great to see we'll have a nice showing of 2nd gen Vibes and their owners! It will also be neat to put faces to usernames! With each day that passes, I am getting more and more amped up about this meet :D!

On a bit of a side note, If there are any 2009-2010 Vibe owners coming to the meet that would be interested in a FREE 2009-2010 Vibe GT OEM front strut brace, let me know and I will bring it to the meet with me. Assuming I don't sell them by the time the meet rolls around, I will also be bringing the brand new Husky 2009-2010 floor and cargo liners I have for sale.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

This is getting epic!!

Wish I could be lowered by then but gotta spend that money on travel..lol
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

CAMOGIRL wrote:Wish I could be lowered by then but gotta spend that money on travel..lol
Speaking of spending money on travel....
I have decided to treat my wife and daughter to a nice family vacation.
Instead of coming driving the nearly 600 miles to Pontiac,
I figured I could take the fam to beach for 3-4 days and treat my wife for being the 'stay-home mom'
We haven't had a vacation in years and we deserve it.
Sorry folks. Unless we come into some extra cash beyond what's needed for our beach trip, I won't make it.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

That's totally understandable Brandon. We'll miss you, but we understand. There will be plenty of pictures, so no worries ;).
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Maybe next time then. We will miss you!
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

it's not easy turning it down when a bonus at work put me going for SURE,
but i gotta do this.
I was getting pumped for all the photography opportunities
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Man that's to bad. I was hoping to have you hook me up with the fade pic because of no tri pod. Enjoy the beach :D
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

A Psycho Martyr wrote:it's not easy turning it down when a bonus at work put me going for SURE,
but i gotta do this.
I was getting pumped for all the photography opportunities
We get it. Go spoil your family. There's always another opportunity.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

A Psycho Martyr wrote: I have decided to treat my wife and daughter to a nice family vacation.
Instead of coming driving the nearly 600 miles to Pontiac,

Now Brandon. You'll have to host the 2014 GenVibe meet and keep it near your hometown so that the rest of us travel the 500+ miles to attend such event instead of you :o This way it won't break your bank and you'll still be able to see all of us. That's provided we all could make the journey. Something to think about for next year!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Brandon, please have the meet in the winter, that way we Yankees can experience sunlight and warmth, thank you. :lol:

I may be bringing a decent camera with a tripod, depends on if dad will part with his Canon for a couple days. I think it's a Canon, it might be a Nikon LOL
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My parents and I are road tripping down to Pontiac tomorrow to check out routes for the cruise to Starved Rock, etc. I will report back with more info and pictures later on tomorrow or Monday...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Okay, I am even more excited about this meet after going to Pontiac yesterday! Below is some more info on Pontiac that I gathered while down there...

The Best Western and Super 8 are both right off of Interstate 55. The Super 8 is literally almost right across the road from the Best Western. The parking lot at the Best Western is kind of small, so it will be awesome to see it filled up with Vibes :cool:!

Right around the Best Western/Super 8 is a Walmart, Aldi, BP gas station, Super Wash car wash, Auto Zone, Arby's, Taco Bell, Wendy's and many other restaurants, stores, etc. The sales tax in Pontiac is 6.25%.

The Pontiac Family Kitchen restaurant is only a ~5 minute drive from the Best Western/Super 8. My parents and I stopped and ate lunch there. It was just over $25.00 for the three of us. It's a nice place (not too fancy though) and the prices are very reasonable. They have a separate banquet room, so I am assuming that's where we will be because the regular dining area is kind of small.

The downtown area is awesome, but you have to be careful when driving through it because there are a lot of one-way streets. We drove by the Oakland Auto Museum and it looked really neat, even from the outside. They have a huge Pontiac arrowhead on the awning over the windows :D! There are a lot of neat murals painted on the sides of different buildings in the downtown area. We saw the Pontiac trolley cruising around which was neat. All in all, it's a perfect area for a Cruise Night! There is also a very old school movie theater in downtown (I may be tempted to go there and see "Man of Steel" on Friday night :P)!

There are a couple of other "neat" things in Pontiac including the Pontiac Correctional Center, National Guard Armory and a Caterpillar plant on the outskirts of town. I saw a Pontiac police car. I totally want to try and get a picture with one :P! It's pretty neat because everywhere you go, you see Pontiac on everything! And speaking of Pontiacs, we saw 3 Vibes (not bad for a town of ~12,000!) and a lot of other Pontiacs while driving around!

Now, about Starved Rock... we found a very nice, two lane country highway cruise route, but Starved Rock is ~30+ miles one way from Pontiac. I am wondering if this would be too far or if we still want to do the cruise? I don't mind either way. The cruise route is very laid back. Almost no other traffic and an almost steady speed limit of 55 all the way. You do go through a few small towns where the speed limit drops, but overall it's just open road. Perfect for cruising.

I think that pretty much covers it. If I think of anything else I will add it. If you have any questions, please ask and I'll do my best to answer them. Below are 2 pictures I took. One is a Vibe love picture (with a 2009 Mystic Blue Metallic AWD) in the Pontiac Family Kitchen parking lot and the other is the cover of the Pontiac Family Kitchen menu.

hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

I'm not sure about doing a long drive after doing a long drive, just before a long drive. LOL

For me, it's going to be a game-day decision. Especially with all there is going to be going on Pontiac that day, and with all the museums to see there as well.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

hotbug1776 wrote:I'm not sure about doing a long drive after doing a long drive
I agree. Anyways if our turnout ends up being some 20+ GenVibers and we get caught up BS'ing about this & that ... PLUS if any of us do some wrenching to show off our mods, etc ... there won't be much time left for a cruise. I say we gather and after the gathereing, depending on time remaining, then we cruise.

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

That's fine by me. I don't care whether we do the cruise or not. It would be fun, but than again so will hanging out bs'ing, so I'm fine either way. We can make a last minute decision I guess :P.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Just posting this here to match the Facebook page. I just got a temp layoff, with the possibility of more or a permanent layoff, so, the trip may be on the chopping block. Nothing is set in stone until we crunch numbers and talk it over. I just need to trim down the trip costs to keep the bank as stocked as possible. I'll update as I figure this out.
MorbidAngel

Post by MorbidAngel »

:D I'm up for "Man of Steel" on Friday night :D
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

hotbug1776 wrote:Just posting this here to match the Facebook page. I just got a temp layoff, with the possibility of more or a permanent layoff, so, the trip may be on the chopping block. Nothing is set in stone until we crunch numbers and talk it over. I just need to trim down the trip costs to keep the bank as stocked as possible. I'll update as I figure this out.
Awww... I hope you guys can get it worked out so you can still come. I was really looking forward to meeting you and seeing the Vibe in person.
MorbidAngel wrote::D I'm up for "Man of Steel" on Friday night :D
Awesome! I am really excited to see it because the majority of it was filmed in the next town over (Plano, IL) from where I live and some scenes were also shot at the hospital in Sandwich which is like 2 blocks from my house!
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Numbers are crunched, and we are still on our way the 14th. We may have to cut out a bit of extras, but, we will be coming.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

hotbug1776 wrote:Numbers are crunched, and we are still on our way the 14th. We may have to cut out a bit of extras, but, we will be coming.
Awesome !!! We need as many of us to actually SHOW UP at this event. Just two weeks from now. Looking SOOOOOOOOO forward to another Vibe road trip ;)

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

hotbug1776 wrote:Numbers are crunched, and we are still on our way the 14th. We may have to cut out a bit of extras, but, we will be coming.
Yaaay!! It wouldn't be the same without you. We already lost Ryan and Ashley :( But it will be a good time! I hope and pray for the best Andrew!

I'll call Pontiac soon for approximately exact numbers this week. School finals this week then I am FREE from public schooling forever!!
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Yeah, we'll be fine dining on fast food, dollar menu. Seeing as I'm looking at $130 in gas for the trip (@$3.99 gal), we won't be turn piking, as it will add $60 to the trip. I'm thinking snacking will be something we bring with, along with some drinks. We also have to contend with space, as we may be dropping kids off along the way. This is our first trip together, and possibly our last for a long time, might as well make it memorable.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great to hear you're still coming Andrew :D!

Thanks for the "2 weeks away" reminder Tim... so much to do and not enough time :|!

Thanks again for everything you've done for this meet Nick! I know myself and everyone else that will be in attendance really appreciates it! I look forward to meeting you and seeing your Vibe in person!
kostby

Post by kostby »

Looks like we're not going to make it after all, and the Vibe is the reason. Got the bad news today that the A/C will need a costly repair for a new condenser. Since it's the beginning of summer (rather than, say November), I have to fix it soon. So there goes the road-trip budget! In the words of Cubs fans everywhere, "Wait'll next year!" ;) ;)

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Sad news here as well.

Since finishing school last month was the priority over working, my paycheck for June is pretty slim. Have to tag the brand new beast this month as well and that's coming with a hefty price tag :(

Give us a couple more years and the lil girl will be driving us to the meet.

Sorry guys. Was really looking forward to meeting y'all. Instead we will be attending Kyrie's first car show locally, and getting our stripes put on :D
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

CAMOGIRL wrote:Sad news here as well.

Since finishing school last month was the priority over working, my paycheck for June is pretty slim. Have to tag the brand new beast this month as well and that's coming with a hefty price tag :(

Sorry guys. Was really looking forward to meeting y'all. Instead we will be attending Kyrie's first car show locally, and getting our stripes put on :D
BOO!!!
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Aww. I was looking forward to seeing you. Maybe you should organize a regional meet later in the summer. Maybe meet in the corn of Des Moines.

EDIT: ORRRR maybe come up for one of Minnesota's many car shows over the summer. Car Craft is up here in July.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

:cry:

Sad to see people dropping out last minute, but life always seems to get in the way at the most inopportune times :|.

I got the go ahead for taking next Thursday and Friday off from work! Thursday morning I will be taking my mom's Vibe into the dealer to get the window switch recall taken care off and than I'll be coming home and washing both the Vibes and getting packed, etc. Friday afternoon I have an appointment for my Vibe to get the window switch recall done at the dealer in Ottawa, IL. From there I will be heading to Pontiac. I should be in Pontiac at the Best Western by about 4:00 PM. Even though next week will be a short week for me at work, it's going to be the longest week ever :evil:!
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Oh the humanity...At this rate we will be down to like 5 people ;) Well I am going to cash in all my change that I have been saving for gas I think I will have enough. If not I can pawn a kid that should cover it lol.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

I am really bummed!!

If I did anything regional Nick, it'd be like a Pikes Peak thing. We are going back out there later because the baby girl wants to go, as well as another scouting trip or two to the Ft Collins area as we start to make plans and prep for moving in the next couplefew years.

Maybe we will both end up at a North American MCM meet? :p
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Party Pooper!
I'm still thinking of coming up and was going to caravan with you.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Salsa Guy wrote:

Party Pooper!
I'm still thinking of coming up and was going to caravan with you.
If you come, you'll be welcomed.

And Alicia, you must tell me more about this MCM meet... I've heard nothing about it.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Jeez! Just rock up 81.

Nick - last year there was one in Canada ... Lol
Derf

Post by Derf »

Due to a change of plans, looks like I will be passing though the Pontiac Il area Saturday. Will be able to stop through for an hour or so in the afternoon. Just have to figure out the exact time in Pontiac.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Derf wrote:Due to a change of plans, looks like I will be passing though the Pontiac Il area Saturday. Will be able to stop through for an hour or so in the afternoon. Just have to figure out the exact time in Pontiac.
Sweet, I subscribed to your videos, as they are super informative. I look forward to meeting you.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Woo hoo! Great to see another member will be dropping in to say hi!

Nick, I am thinking we may have to change some things around...
KITT222 wrote:Once you tell me how many cars to expect on Saturday, I’ll reserve parking spaces on the downtown square just across the street from the Pontiac Oakland Museum for your group. On Saturday evening, you can keep your cars there, and be part of our cruise night in downtown, last year we had several hundred cars attend – so plan on having a great time there too!

The itinerary (VERY preliminary) is planning on something like this: Meet, museum, lunch, Starved Rock, then some time later, reconvene for dinner.

DINNER RESERVATIONS: Pontiac Family Kitchen at 7:00PM
So, the Tourism Board made it sound like Pontiac Family Kitchen is in downtown Pontiac, but it's not. It's actually a mile or two outside of the downtown area, in other words... not within walking distance. The cruise night goes from 5-8, so I am wondering if we should change our dinner reservations to 8:15-8:30 so we can stay for the entire cruise night? Also, I am thinking we should do the Starved Rock cruise first thing in the morning. Maybe leave around 10:00 or so? Then we could come back and do the Museum thing and have our Vibes all parked and ready to go for the cruise night. My dad brought up a good point about parking for the cruise night. He attends a lot of car shows/cruise nights and he said just because someone says they will reserve you spots so a group can park together, doesn't mean it will actually happen because of lack of communication, etc. This is why I'm thinking we should do Starved Rock first, then we can grab some lunch and head downtown to the museum and have our Vibes already parked together when the cruise night starts. Let me know what you think.

Also, I just wanted to post in case anyone isn't aware of this... there is a $10.00 fee to enter your vehicle in the cruise night. It all goes to charity though.

And for the heck of it... weather forecast for Pontiac for Friday-Sunday:

Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s.
Friday night: Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows around 60.

Saturday: Mostly cloudy with a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70s.
Saturday night: Mostly cloudy with a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Also, for anyone who hasn't checked out the Best Western site, I'd thought I'd post some more info:

Best Western Pontiac Inn

1821 W. Reynolds St.
Pontiac, IL 61794-9650

Phone: (815) 842-2777
Fax: (815) 842-4040

Check-In Time: 2:00 PM CDT
Check-Out Time: 11:00 AM CDT

Newly renovated rooms that offer cable/satellite TV with HBO, a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and much more.

Indoor pool & jacuzzi. Exercise facility. Guest laundry. 24-hour front desk. Guest computer center.

Complimentary hot breakfast including fresh made waffles, choice of breads, cereal, fruit, hot eggs, hot breakfast meat, other hot items, juice and coffee.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Hmm... What you say makes sense. I emailed the person again, and I will actually meet with them in person Thursday to sort some things out, such as location, ask questions about the cruise night, etc... Admission to the night may be free for our group.

By the way... what's a cruise night?
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

decided to jump on the forum for the first time in a while and i see this. i just so happen to have vacation from work that ends on the 15th. 1h 30min drive, i just may head on down. what is the meetup location and what are the planned events?
None. Vibe is gone.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I believe the parking lot reserved for us is across the road from the Oakland museum.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&r ... CCwQ8gEwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We may do a trip to Starved Roack state park, participate in the Cruise Night, and will have dinner at Pontiac Family Kitchen.
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

wow. that's a drive from home to Pontiac to Utica then back home.
None. Vibe is gone.
Nitetrain

Post by Nitetrain »

Breaker-breaker, who's your maker? Roger that...

I am still camping at Bayou Bluffs, rain or shine.

Looking forward to meeting fellow Vibe fanatics.

See you at the Cruise Night at 5pm, if not earlier.

Peace,

Nitetrain
~Going Down The Road Feeling Bad~
~Black 2009 2.4 L Automatic FWD Base Vibe~
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

I know this is very last minute, but I am curious if some one wanted to split a room. I reserved a room with 2 king beds for Friday and check out on Sunday. It will be just me and my daughter. I also posted on Facebook.
Mac's Vibe.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

mac99d wrote:I know this is very last minute, but I am curious if some one wanted to split a room. I reserved a room with 2 king beds for Friday and check out on Sunday. It will be just me and my daughter. I also posted on Facebook.
If my wife ends up NOT coming with me then I'll split with you on Saturday night only (driving there Sat AM) Won't know this till Friday and I believe I have 24hr to cancel a room without being charged. Stay tuned ................................................................

mac99d

Post by mac99d »

[quote="tpollauf"]If my wife ends up NOT coming with me then I'll split with you on Saturday night only (driving there Sat AM) Won't know this till Friday and I believe I have 24hr to cancel a room without being charged. Stay tuned [/quote

Well, found someone to split the room with thanks to Zane.
Mac's Vibe.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nick & Carrie. PM me your cell numbers so I can contact you when I arrive. I'll probably be checking in to the Best Western around mid day Saturday. May be alone (wife is torn & undecided :? ) Let me know if there would be anything else before I head out.