Genvibe Meet 2013!

List events, gatherings, rallies, meets, etc.
KITT222

Genvibe Meet 2013!

Post by KITT222 »

Facebook is in agreement, so I thought it was about time I let everyone else in on this.

GenVibe meet 2013! Taking previous concerns into account, this is the general consensus:

Date: June 15, 2013

Illinois is very central to the Genvibe populus. Previous attendees can and are willing to make it, it involved more in the central part of America, such as myself, Persephone, Eric the Wingnut, Carrie, etc... AND the town is called PONTIAC. Isn't that cool?

Attractions include several museums, such as the Route 66 Museum. Car clubs frequently meet there, so I will call Thursday and see if I can get something tentatively set up, or at least more information.

http://www.pontiac.org/index.aspx?nid=137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

June 15 seems to work because we as a whole preferred early summer to mid/late summer timing, but last year the timing didn't work out as nicely. Thus, June 15. the week prior to that, I graduate from high school (woohoo!) so I might be busy... I haven't heard a "neigh" vote to the date from the Bookface page.

I'm posting this early so we can get an early planning on this, and be totally prepared for when the date rolls around. Also so members can plan accordingly, and get time off set up.

Attendees:: Taken/assumed based on Bookface post (tell me if I'm wrong, or to add you) (Also, I remember some of you better by name rather than username. Just correct me if there's a blank...)
Nick - KITT222
Andrew - hotbug1776
Ron - areles
Jason - mac99d
Zane - zvibe2004
Carrie (+ mom ) - vibenvy
Tim - tpollauf
Persephone - persephone
Eric - wingnut
Michelle (+ husband) - ponta2147
Timothy (+girlfriend) - houseofbugs
Alica - camogirl
Doug (+ friend) - dgekiere
?? - DontKillMyVibe03
Erick? - erick44
?? - Nitetrain
Justin - LarryKingShoes
Tim O. - MorbidAngel
Shawn - rayven01

Chances are there's more. Let me know...
Last edited by KITT222 on Tue May 28, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 14 times in total.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Genvibe Meet 2013!

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

hmm.....573 miles..lol.
decision, decisions.
I could save a small fortune if I drove the wife's 2010 Civic :?
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I encourage you to go. It'll be lots of fun! I'm considering doing some prizes or awards...
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Hmm.. only 220 miles for me. My Vibe is nothing special and I'm not a big modder but it would be cool to see all your modded rides! Definite maybe for me though, since it's prime vacation season.
Image  Image
SmAshley

Post by SmAshley »

A Psycho Martyr wrote:hmm.....573 miles..lol.
decision, decisions.
591 miles for me & I will be towing a Boler camper. Come on you know you wanna! DOOOO it it was a blast last year !

I am hoping to caravan with some... Any takers? I am in Toronto & looks like the most efficient route is through Michigan skirting across North of Indiana into Illinois.. But not sure yet could also cut through Indiana depends on if anyone can give me insight to the condition of the roads pavement, holes and speed limits on the routes so then I can gauge it on that. With Kelly driving he can get away with doing 30mph over and we will be there in no time lol
Just really hoping that the SC is installed and functioning by then...
2003 Vibe - 5 Spd Stock mechanical for now... just you wait Sony Cxt710 Deck Infinity Reference Series - All 4 doorsPioneer Tweeters 10' Clarion sunk into spare tire unit in Hatch....MINT 300.1 Mono Channel Rockford Fosgate - running sub 200.2 Rockford Fosgate - running speakers
VibEngineers

Post by VibEngineers »

If it was any date after that i would be able to make it but i have work. i live not too far from there too!
2009 Vibe
1984 Fiero
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

OK .... Count me in. As the date draws nearer I'll know for sure if it is a go or not. I may not have any more mods done to my Vibe but I look forward to "road trips" and getting together with everybody else ...............................
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Nice at this rate we might need a good size area to meet at. :D
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebarber

Post by thebarber »

8h 19m...pass
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I was just thinking that I needed to post about whether we were going to do a meet this year or not. I never go on FB so I guess I've missed all the discussion about it on there :P. I will most definitely be there! I say we all do a cruise through Starved Rock State Park at some point. It's a little bit north of Pontiac but an excellent place to cruise (a very twisty road winds through the whole park) and take pictures. I have actually never been to Pontiac even though it's less than 2 hours from me, so I may have to cruise down there before June and check it out in person.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My mom has also said she will be there with her Vibe as well :D!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote:My mom has also said she will be there with her Vibe as well :D!
Awesome Carrie. Now you just need to work on your dad to get one so he could show up also :lol:

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:Awesome Carrie. Now you just need to work on your dad to get one so he could show up also
Believe me, I've been working on my dad. I keep telling him he needs to get a 2009-2010 GT in the same color as your's sons (his favorite color and the color of his s10). Hopefully someday when his s10 finally gives up the ghost he'll be willing to get one *fingers crossed*. My dad will probably be at the meet as well though. My mom and I are probably going to get a room for one night at whatever hotel/motel everyone will be staying at.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

YES!! That makes me very happy that you're going, Carrie. When I call them I'll be sure to say anywhere from ten to twenty cars... This will be great! Everybody just needs to make sure to not make any other plans, or not let other ones interfere. It's one of the reasons I made this thread so early. You should look into that state park for us, and maybe take some pics. We could meet, hang out for a while, do a museum or two, then head out for a drive.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

KITT222 wrote:YES!! That makes me very happy that you're going, Carrie. When I call them I'll be sure to say anywhere from ten to twenty cars... This will be great! Everybody just needs to make sure to not make any other plans, or not let other ones interfere. It's one of the reasons I made this thread so early. You should look into that state park for us, and maybe take some pics. We could meet, hang out for a while, do a museum or two, then head out for a drive.
Of course I'll be there seeing as it's less than 2 hours from me. 10-20 cars sounds like a reasonable guess. I hope it's big like the 2010 meet in Indy. That turnout was awesome!

I will be heading down toward Starved Rock in a couple weeks so I will definitely take some pictures and all. I may also take a cruise down to Pontiac since I've never been there before. I can scope things out so we can have a better idea of what's there, etc.

Another thing I thought of is that JC Whitney is not too far from Starved Rock, so we could always go there and check out their outlet store for something else to do.

My mom is really excited for this meet! It'll be so cool to have both our Vibes there :D!

*EDIT: I added the link for this thread to my signature. I suggest others do the same to help get the word out to our fellow GenVibers!*
Last edited by vibenvy on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

9h 30min only the hardcore will attend LOL

I'm hardcore... getting ready as I type this.
I just need the host hotel info.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

SmAshley wrote:
A Psycho Martyr wrote:hmm.....573 miles..lol.
decision, decisions.
591 miles for me & I will be towing a Boler camper. Come on you know you wanna! DOOOO it it was a blast last year !

I am hoping to caravan with some... Any takers? I am in Toronto & looks like the most efficient route is through Michigan skirting across North of Indiana into Illinois.. But not sure yet could also cut through Indiana depends on if anyone can give me insight to the condition of the roads pavement, holes and speed limits on the routes so then I can gauge it on that. With Kelly driving he can get away with doing 30mph over and we will be there in no time lol
Just really hoping that the SC is installed and functioning by then...
Ash, I can't go that way, but, I might be able to meet you in Indiana or Illinois. Just need a ETA and place en route.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

hotbug1776 wrote:9h 30min only the hardcore will attend LOL

Woo hoo!

I can scope out hotels/motels when I'm down that way in a couple weeks, unless someone does some online research and finds something before than.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Got it down to 7.5 hours if I pay to drive. just adds about $50 or so to the trip to drive around 75mph for the first 4-5 hours. Whats the turnpike speed in Indiana and Illinois?
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

hotbug1776 wrote:Got it down to 7.5 hours if I pay to drive. just adds about $50 or so to the trip to drive around 75mph for the first 4-5 hours. Whats the turnpike speed in Indiana and Illinois?
About 70mph, but lower for trucks. Hopefully they're done with the construction that we drove through on the way to Erie last year.

Carrie, I'll call the Tourism Board tomorrow and ask about hotel information and such. I too will post the link in my sig.

EDIT: "official" badge of the 2013 meet posted above
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

LOL I'm an HCMO...but now have 2 small kids and a wife....8+ hours is too far from home base
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Well my girlfriend and I would have to get our passports first, and its looking to be a 7.5 hour drive at least. Hopefully !
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

thebarber wrote:

LOL I'm an HCMO...but now have 2 small kids and a wife....8+ hours is too far from home base
Bring them along!!! My 14 year old was 3 days old at his first car show. I will probably be toting a 3 and 8 year old along if we can't find a grandparent willing to visit.

I can understand if you can't though... there has been many a time on a road trip with all the kids that I've thought of just YANKING THE WHEEL TO THE RIGHT!!! but I digress.
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

I missed last years (which was closer) - going to try to see if I can make this one - its a bit of a drive but I'm always down for a good road trip - I'll have to see how my little one & wife (due in April) are doing/up to travel - if not I may fly solo... 8-)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

It's nice to see some members that don't post much may be at this meet. It's looking like it's going to be a pretty decent turnout :D!
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

vibenvy wrote:It's nice to see some members that don't post much may be at this meet. It's looking like it's going to be a pretty decent turnout :D!
It's great! The more the merrier! Even if you don't post much you'll be welcomed. I may even invite Apple Juice with his Vibe AWD, since it is close enough for him.

Heck, it's close enough to me and my grandparent's homes, that I could stop for lunch with my grandma and grandpa before finishing the drive to Pontiac! Definitely a change from the 15 hour drive it was last year (HCVO!).
SmAshley

Post by SmAshley »

Doug14 wrote:Well my girlfriend and I would have to get our passports first, and its looking to be a 7.5 hour drive at least. Hopefully !
Easy as pie ge on it!!! We can caravan!
thebarber wrote:

Google's saying 9hrs 4mins for me...from Toronto!!!! So amped for this year!!!
I will be texting you with my 20 so we can meet up.. or maybe when I catch up to you and pass with Boler in tow! lol

hotbug brought his Wife and lil one last year... Make a road trip vacation of it! Its a blast!!
2003 Vibe - 5 Spd Stock mechanical for now... just you wait Sony Cxt710 Deck Infinity Reference Series - All 4 doorsPioneer Tweeters 10' Clarion sunk into spare tire unit in Hatch....MINT 300.1 Mono Channel Rockford Fosgate - running sub 200.2 Rockford Fosgate - running speakers
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Big email from the tourism board! The video is a nice watch.

Great, you definitely want me to set up a block of rooms, we have lots of groups during the summer and if you don’t have a block holding them, you may not get rooms. The block is held until 30 days out, which would be May 14th at which time they open up for everyone else. So you’ll have to tell your group to make reservations before then. Would you like me to proceed with the reservation in GenVibe’s name? There is no financial commitment in doing that, just comfort in knowing that you have some waiting for you. How many should we hold?

As far as the museums go, you don’t need a reservation. We have four museums, all within walking distance from one another. On Saturday, a trolley will run between them on a 30 minute loop showing off our beautiful murals, some historic homes/architecture, our swinging bridges with stops at the Pontiac Museum, and the Route 66 Museum complex. All four museums offer donation only admission too.

Once you tell me how many cars to expect on Saturday, I’ll reserve parking spaces on the downtown square just across the street from the Pontiac Oakland Museum for your group. On Saturday evening, you can keep your cars there, and be part of our cruise night in downtown, last year we had several hundred cars attend – so plan on having a great time there too!

What about meals? Do you think everyone would like to eat on their own, or have a reservation to all dine together? We have lots of great meal choices, several right in downtown, which would allow you to keep your cars parked there, and walk to eat. If you all want to eat together, I’d need to make a reservation for you as well, again summer is very busy here, and when you add a cruise night in, even busier.

Have you seen our video? http://vimeo.com/38043725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; would you like a copy of the DVD? What a lot of clubs are doing is playing it at their meeting, or sharing it online – it sells the group on wanting to visit with us. I can send you one if you need it.

That’s all I can think of for now, but if you have any questions - just ask!
I've told them to put 20 rooms on hold, and asked about the nearby campsite. Let's plan on just the Pontiac museum during the meet. That location sounds ace for the meet, and cruise night sounds FANTASTIC. For meals, what does everyone say?

Any more questions or suggestions? This ball is rolling too fast to be stopped, so I hope you're all committed!

The itinerary (VERY preliminary) is planning on something like this: Meet, museum, lunch, Starved Rock, then some time later, reconvene for dinner. If we do Starved Rock it would be cool for everyone to bring two-way radios, so we can chat as we go.
kostby

Post by kostby »

Sounds like great fun!
Pontiac IL is about 3 hours from us (northwest of Indianapolis).

Count us as a 'maybe' at this point.
Our son is graduating from college this spring, and potentially he could be moving away to a new job. An overnight stay is uncertain right now, but we should know more by May.

I've been to both ends of Route 66, at the origin (downtown Chicago by the Art Institute) and the termination at Santa Monica Pier, but not much in between.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Reading that email just got me even more stoked for this meet! That Cruise Night will be killer I'm sure! I know we (Chicagoland GenVibers) had a great time at the Morris, Illinois Cruise Night back in the fall and I'm sure this one in Pontiac will be just as epic, especially with a bunch of Vibes there :cool:!

20 rooms sounds like a good number. I know my mom and I will be staying over Saturday night. Depending on if anyone arrives on Friday night, I will probably drive down there to hang out for a while, but won't stay over Friday night.

The preliminary itinerary sounds great Nick! I don't think anyone is going to be too picky about anything we plan. The meet in Indy was very low-key and everything went really smoothly. I'm sure this meet will be no different.

As far as food goes, I really don't have any preference. Food is food to me. A GenVibe family dinner like we had in Indy would be great, but if everyone decides to do their own thing, that would be fine by me as well.

Oh, and a new little tidbit of interesting info about Pontiac... it is now where Drew Peterson is serving his 38 year prison sentence. Yes, there is a prison in Pontiac too :|...
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

I wish I could say "count me in!" It's 6 hours from home, but a leetle bit too far from Germany. ;)

Have fun, everyone!
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

Hellooooo!!! Ill be there! :) Not sure if Ill take the HHR SS or one of my motorcycles but either way Ill be there. :D Can't wait to see everyone!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

enfield577 wrote:I wish I could say "count me in!" It's 6 hours from home, but a leetle bit too far from Germany. ;)

Have fun, everyone!
We'll miss you and the Vibe Geoff :cry:!
houseofbugs wrote:Hellooooo!!! Ill be there! :) Not sure if Ill take the HHR SS or one of my motorcycles but either way Ill be there. :D Can't wait to see everyone!
You better be there since it's so close!
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

So... food. Pizza place or a traditional American place. Namely, Mario's Pizza or Pontiac Family Kitchen. Which do you prefer? The response form Bookface was a resounding "meh" so unless I hear otherwise, we're eating at Mario's.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Mario's Pizza for sure :P And YES Tim, show up with the HHR. Would love to check out your Vibe's replacement :D

hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

tpollauf wrote:Mario's Pizza for sure :P And YES Tim, show up with the HHR. Would love to check out your Vibe's replacement :D
When are you heading out Tim? I may be able to catch up with you and we can travel together. Perhaps compare MPG's. LOL
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I will likely be heading out on a Saturday morning & just spend one night in a hotel. Similar to Erie & Indy meets. Will know a lot more as we draw closer to that date :D

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

What matters more, pizza or a separate room? They are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

KITT222 wrote:What matters more, pizza or a separate room? They are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.
What about a BBQ? They have a big park with a couple of rent-able pavilions: http://www.pontiac.org/Facilities.aspx? ... tail&RID=1 I'd certainly be willing to chip in a smaller amount up front for rental and pot-luck a BBQ to save a higher restaurant cost day-of. And who doesn't love BBQ. Hell, we all have Vibes. We can even plug in crock-pots! :D
Image  Image
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Still really hoping to be able to drive up for this :) Call me plus one as a maybe!
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Rayven01 wrote:
KITT222 wrote: We can even plug in crock-pots! :D
I did that this year traveling for Thanksgiving... lol.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Rayven01 wrote:
KITT222 wrote:What matters more, pizza or a separate room? They are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.
What about a BBQ? They have a big park with a couple of rent-able pavilions: http://www.pontiac.org/Facilities.aspx? ... tail&RID=1 I'd certainly be willing to chip in a smaller amount up front for rental and pot-luck a BBQ to save a higher restaurant cost day-of. And who doesn't love BBQ. (removed), we all have Vibes. We can even plug in crock-pots! :D
The pizza or a room is for dinner. We'll be doing a BBQ or similar for lunch. ;)
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

tpollauf wrote:I will likely be heading out on a Saturday morning & just spend one night in a hotel. Similar to Erie & Indy meets. Will know a lot more as we draw closer to that date :D
Darn. I have to head out Friday as it is a days drive there. Ah well, LOL.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

DINNER RESERVATIONS: Pontiac Family Kitchen at 7:00PM
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Oh hey forums, I remember you...

That looks like the one weekend we are still free that month. Count me and Chris in for now. Maybe he'll even drive separately from me so he can haul his GMC Terrain out there. :P
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Pontiac Family Kitchen sounds good to me!

Glad to see the list of attendees is growing :D!
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

vibenvy wrote:Pontiac Family Kitchen sounds good to me!

Glad to see the list of attendees is growing :D!

The bigger, the better! There will be goodie bags, courtesy of the Pontiac Tourism people, and from our last meet. I may do some awards, too, for things such as longest distance traveled, last minute arrival, the "that guy" award for the person who, even after all the planning, does it their own way (which is still fine), most modded, least modded, a Concourse award, Shoe Test award, etc....

I'll come up with more of these. Prizes will be the tough thing to find. Suggestions for either are welcomed.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

KITT222 wrote:I may do some awards, too, for things such as longest distance traveled, last minute arrival, the "that guy" award for the person who, even after all the planning, does it their own way (which is still fine), most modded, least modded, a Concourse award, Shoe Test award, etc....

I'll come up with more of these. Prizes will be the tough thing to find. Suggestions for either are welcomed.
Favorite Not-a-Vibe? lol.
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I'm going to try my best to make it and I've mentioned so on the FB page.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

I know it's a weird internet fad and all, but...

we should make a harlem shake video while we are all together... put the Vibes in a circle and put the helmet/mask solo in the middle and then BANG!! :lol: