Genvibe Meet 2013!

List events, gatherings, rallies, meets, etc.
vibenvy

Re: Genvibe Meet 2013!

Post by vibenvy »

KITT222 wrote:Hmm... What you say makes sense. I emailed the person again, and I will actually meet with them in person Thursday to sort some things out, such as location, ask questions about the cruise night, etc... Admission to the night may be free for our group.

By the way... what's a cruise night?
Nick, if you need/want someone to go with you to this meeting (you said Thursday, but I'm assuming you mean Friday/today?), I'm more than willing to go. I am planning to arrive in Pontiac around 4:00 PM today. That'd be sweet if we don't have to pay the $10.00, but than again it is for charity, so I don't mind either way.

A cruise night is essentially the same thing as a car show, except there are no awards. Everyone just hangs out, checks out cars, etc. It's a little more laid back than a show.
tribalman wrote:decided to jump on the forum for the first time in a while and i see this. i just so happen to have vacation from work that ends on the 15th. 1h 30min drive, i just may head on down. what is the meetup location and what are the planned events?
Holy blast from the past Batman! It'd be great to see you again Josh! It's been over 3 years now since our Chicagoland meet at Busse.
KITT222 wrote:I believe the parking lot reserved for us is across the road from the Oakland museum.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&r ... CCwQ8gEwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We may do a trip to Starved Roack state park, participate in the Cruise Night, and will have dinner at Pontiac Family Kitchen.
Like I said, I just want to make sure that we will indeed all be parked together, otherwise... what's the point? Hopefully there is no miscommunication, etc. and it won't be a problem.
tpollauf wrote:Nick & Carrie. PM me your cell numbers so I can contact you when I arrive. I'll probably be checking in to the Best Western around mid day Saturday. May be alone (wife is torn & undecided :? ) Let me know if there would be anything else before I head out.
Will do Tim ;)! Will you please bring your service manuals with you? I'd like to check them out in person and see whether they'd be worth buying or not. Thanks!

So, I detailed the interiors of both Vibes and washed mine yesterday. I will be washing my mom's today. Than I will get my Vibe loaded up, get my stuff packed and I am hoping to leave Sandwich around 2:00 PM which will put me at the Best Western by about 4:00 PM. My mom and dad will be coming down tomorrow afternoon in my mom's Vibe.

I am bringing my Craftsman 154-piece mechanic's tool set with me in case anyone needs to do any work on their Vibe. I will also be bringing plenty of bottles of Ice Mountain water and a small cooler. I'll also be bringing bug spray and sunscreen, along with plenty of car cleaning products, including a small vaccuum that plugs into the cigaretter lighter. And last but not least, brand new Husky floor and cargo liners for any 2009-2010 Vibe owners who may be interested *hint hint*.

I'll see everyone later this afternoon and/or tomorrow! Vibe woo :D!

Oh... and here's the latest forecast for Pontiac:

Today: Mostly sunny until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s. East winds around 10 MPH.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds around 10 MPH.

Saturday: Cloudy with a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70s. South winds 10-15 MPH.
Saturday night: Cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening... then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the upper 60s. Southwest winds 10-15 MPH in the evening. Becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70%.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. Northwest winds around 10 MPH in the morning shifting to the southwest by afternoon.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Nitetrain

Post by Nitetrain »

This is going to be great,

I am totally pumped,

Saturday morning, I'll will be at Bayou Bluffs Camp ground around 10am if not earlier. (set up tent and stuff)

Feel free to cruise over anytime, it is less than 1/2 hour North North West out side of Pontiac, in Cornell IL.

http://bayoubluffs.com/Bayou_Bluffs/Welcome.html

Also count me in for dinner at the Pontiac diner.

Nitetrain
~Going Down The Road Feeling Bad~
~Black 2009 2.4 L Automatic FWD Base Vibe~
Derf

Re: Genvibe Meet 2013 Road Construction.

Post by Derf »

Looks like some road closures near Pontiac to the east and south. Check out the Illinois DOT site for construction and road closures, already have two detours :roll: in my path:
http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/gai.htm?mt=cons#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Nice that they finally have an interactive map!)
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Okay folks, I've met with the people I need to meet, and all things are pretty well set! This how it will break down:

10:00 - meet in the parking lot off Mill St., south-east of the Pontiac/Oakland museum. From there Carrie will lead us to Starved Rock state park. Plan on being back in Pontiac by 1:00pm. We will park on Mill St., nose out, on the road by the Pontiac museum. Parking will be reserved for us.

From there we will hang out, do the museums, etc etc and participate in the cruise night FREE since we're staying overnight.

If it all works out, and out reservation is moved, we will travel to Pontiac Family Kitchen for an 8pm reservation.

Directions are important, due to ease and one-way streets, so this is how to get from the hotels on W. Reynolds to Mill St.:
-Head East on W. Reynold
-Go over the train tracks. Turn left on S. Mill St.
-Travel a block or two. You will see a parking lot taking up a block. Turn right from Mill St. as soon as you see it. We will meet there, and travel to Starved Rock.

Directions are the same getting to the museum. It is the block after the parking lot.

I will lead the cars to Pontiac Family Kitchen. Construction makes things... difficult, but I've found a route.

-Go north on Mill St. from the Pontiac museum
-Turn left immediately onto Madison
-Go over the train tracks. Turn right onto Ladd. We will probably get separated, as it is not a stoplit intersection.
-Continue on Ladd. It will make a soft 90 degree corner after Sherman.
-Pontiac family Kitchen is up on the left.

There are other ways, and come tomorrow night I may improvise, so be aware of that. Sometimes bad things happen when I improvise.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Carrie, you are AWESOME.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Thanks Nick for the info :D Hotel check in isn't till 2pm :( but they said we could possibly check in around 1pm. Knowing this means I'll plan on showing up around 1pm and meeting up with you guys shortly thereafter. Have fun tonight and see all of you tomorrow afternoon :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I should be there by 10 unless I hit any major delays on 55.
Image  Image
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

tpollauf wrote:Thanks Nick for the info :D Hotel check in isn't till 2pm :( but they said we could possibly check in around 1pm. Knowing this means I'll plan on showing up around 1pm and meeting up with you guys shortly thereafter. Have fun tonight and see all of you tomorrow afternoon :D
If you show up earlier, you could text Carrie or I, and we could tell you if we were still at Starved Rock. Then you could go there and join the caravan of Vibes back down to Pontiac. You may need to split for check-in, though.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Drive safe, all.

I'm chilling with the family at zehnders in frankenmuth Michigan this weekend for my sons #2 and fathers day
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

KITT222 wrote:Carrie, you are AWESOME.
No my dear boy... YOU ARE AWESOME ;)! I can't thank you enough for setting everything up for us and I also can't emphasize enough how great of a job you did with the planning! Oh, and... I kept forgetting to tell you, but congratulations on graduating last week :cool:!

I am dead tired so I will post pictures and more thoughts, opinions, etc. within the next couple days. I hope everyone arrived/s home safely without any issues. It was great meeting you all and seeing your Vibes in persons! I can't wait for next year... wherever it may be...
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

I just want to say, 10 hours home (stopped for a rest) does not do me well. Also, 8 or so hours on the highway, causes a lot of heatsoak, especially in the hills. Next year I will be running water/meth for sure.

Had an awesome time. Will be waiting for next years post anxiously.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Same here guys. Only a 5 hour drive for me though. Had a super blast AND my wife actually thanked me for bringing her along as she too had a good time. Here's a sneak peek at the 12 Vibes lined up behind the restaurant. Check my cardomain link soon where I'll have all pics uploaded eventually ;)

Persephone

Post by Persephone »

That's a sweet picture, Tim! Also my boyfriend and I enjoyed talking to you and your wife. He said you guys were cool. lol :lol:
My lovely Gambit.
Nitetrain

Post by Nitetrain »

I had a great time, see everybody on the flip-flop.

Thank you Kitt222, and Vibenvy.

Nitetrain
Besides all of our Vibes, I think this AMC Javilin was most awesome.
Besides all of our Vibes, I think this AMC Javilin was most awesome.
DSC00836.JPG (48.14 KiB) Viewed 11389 times
Camping site Pic in the morning, I survived just fine, had some spam and eggs in the morning and jetted out.
Camping site Pic in the morning, I survived just fine, had some spam and eggs in the morning and jetted out.
DSC00840.JPG (49.02 KiB) Viewed 11389 times
Attachments
Bayou Buffs Camp Ground, A pic of Brook Creek.
Bayou Buffs Camp Ground, A pic of Brook Creek.
Bayou Bluffs.JPG (55.36 KiB) Viewed 11389 times
Last edited by Nitetrain on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Going Down The Road Feeling Bad~
~Black 2009 2.4 L Automatic FWD Base Vibe~
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I made it home in 3.5 hours yesterday, took a nice long nap, then promptly had a work emergency come up and had to work until midnight. :roll:

Had a great time at the meet, nice to meet everyone that came! Flickr link to all the pics I took below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7657058@N0 ... 171865861/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image  Image
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

So, I know it will be 24 hours of driving for me to do (3 days one way), but, Jason's idea of a Colorado Springs meet, is kinda exciting to me. I'm not gonna lie, the drive up to pikes peak would be the most awesome drive I've ever done. I know I'd need to buy tires afterwards, but, it would be soooo worth it.

Then again, if we were to meet every year in Pontiac, Il, that would be a great time as well. the drive wouldn't be as awesome though.

The only thing that might be an issue, 14,110ft above sea level would make the N/A vibes a bit asthmatic. LOL

Nichole will be doing her thing with the 200 pictures she took this weekend. I will leave my account open for her to post on Genvibe when and where she puts everything. Most likely on a public facebook album
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

All 7/8 hours home on Sunday. I didn't feel like messing around, so just went straight back to Minnesota. Little tiring. Also, I appreciate Illinois roads more than Minnesota roads. On MN roads, you can't get great fuel economy because you're constantly going up and down and up and down...

My Vibe is N/A, so she'd probably get a bit huffy in Colorado Springs. I'd need to fiddle with her a few times at different altitudes to get her to adjust. I'm sure Pontiac would love to have us back, considering how we were rather un-rowdy. And the number of IL Vibers alone could meet the Erie meet numbers.

All my pictures are here, or on Bookface. It was an excellent time, and very worth it.

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/KITT22 ... 013%20meet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I will post all of my pictures this coming Friday. I have been beat every day after work this week and haven't had the energy to get online and post my pictures :|. After breakfast on Sunday, my mom and I made a stop at Kroger in Streator than headed home. We left Pontiac at 11:00 and got home around 1:30. I too took a couple hours long nap and than got up and unloaded the Vibes.

It was great meeting everyone and their children, spouses, etc. My mom and dad are still talking about how much fun it was :P!

I seriously think we need to start planning for next year ASAP. I'm really up for just about anywhere. I think meeting in Pontiac again would be awesome (as Nick said, I'm sure they'd welcome us back since we were very low key), but than again, Colorado would be cool, as would the Tail of the Dragon...
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I would go to Pontiac again in a heartbeat. Colorado, while I would love to go there, would be more of a stretch for me. 13 hour drive one way would mean having to take multiple vacation days which I never seem to have enough of after obligatory trips to Maine to visit my parents every year.
Image  Image
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Here is the link to my wifes facebook album with all our photos from the Meet!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 8794caeefc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Who's the holy roller?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:Who's the holy roller?
Andy (hotbug1776). It's the car club he's in.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Looks like a good time.

You guys just do the 1 day, or what?
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Hecks yeah.
Rolling with the best copilot around.
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Some of us meet on Friday, but the big gathering was Saturday.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebarber

Post by thebarber »

hotbug1776 wrote:
Hecks yeah.
Does your wife know you're involved with a.dude? ;)

And/or that she's not your #1 copilot?
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

thebarber wrote:
hotbug1776 wrote:
Hecks yeah.
Does your wife know you're involved with a.dude? ;)

And/or that she's not your #1 copilot?
She's the navigator, we run a three member team. She is manual transmission illiterate. He Guides her too, I guess He's more of a team leader, LOL
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

OK ... so I finally got around to uploading my pics from the Pontiac meet last weekend. Check them out at my Cardomain site here: http://www.cardomain.com/usernew/galler ... id=1135661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Was truly a good time and am looking forward to another meet in 2014 somewhere. I seriously should have more mod's done to my Vibe by then and lots of extras for other GenVibers to have also :D

Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

That link isn't working, Tim.
Image  Image
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Rayven01 wrote:That link isn't working, Tim.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3827164/2 ... tiac-vibe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There you go, fixed it for him.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

That's his profile, but there's no meet gallery there.
Image  Image
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Rayven01 wrote:That's his profile, but there's no meet gallery there.
I noticed that after I posted that, click on his name at the top, it will take you to his galleries, but, I didn't see the gallery link number listed, curious.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Sorry for the screw up guys. Here is a GOOD link directly to a PUBLIC viewing of my cardomain site: http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/16245526/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought I knew how to manipulate things around the cardoamin page but it is not user friendly at all :( Either that or I just don't know what I'm doing. Hope this works for all of you this time :D

Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

There we go, working now. :) Great pics.
Image  Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Okay, I finally got my pictures posted as well...

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/16255982/
EVLVibe

Post by EVLVibe »

Sorry i missed this guys was too slow on the uptake, will gladly be down for the next one so let me know once there is a plan!!
ENTER THE GARAGE viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

If people on here want to do some serious driving there are a lot of really nice mountain roads near Colorado Springs that you can have a great time on.

Every heard of Berthoud Pass? It's so steep that numerous times people driving the road in the winter have been carried off down the slopes by avalanches. I took an outside hairpin on Berthoud at 65, slid sideways the whole way through the turn. It was not on purpose, I had been passing a truck and couldn't see the turn around the next bend. Thank god I was in a Saab 9000Aero cause it took it like nothing happened. I almost crapped my pants.

Point is: Colorado has some amazing drives. :D
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon