Genvibe Meet official meet date!!!

List events, gatherings, rallies, meets, etc.
vibenvy

Re: (KITT222)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »My route will have me driving right by Sandwhich! My dad says Chicago has horrific traffic, so he wants me to plan accordingly, but I'm not too worried. Should I be?Which route will you be taking that will bring you right by Sandwich? As far as traffic in/near Chicago, it really depends on when you're driving through. If it's rush hour (6ish am - 8ish am & 4ish pm - 6ish pm), then yes traffic can be pretty bad, but if it's not rush hour, it shouldn't be too bad. I don't really drive in/near the city very much, but usually when I do it's not that bad. Just be cautious because no one obeys the speed limit and they tend to weave in and out of traffic passing people left and right. I like to drive 55 just to p*ss people off (and get better gas mileage) !
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
KITT222

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by KITT222 »

Not exactly (next to), but not far off. Google wants em to take I-80.
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

Me too, J2. They can get pulled over or crash if they want to, but I'm not gonna do it to myself 'cause of them. lol
My lovely Gambit.
vibenvy

Re: (Persephone)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »Not exactly (next to), but not far off. Google wants em to take I-80.Got cha. I still need to sit down and look at the atlas to figure out the route I want to take.Quote, originally posted by Persephone »Me too, J2. They can get pulled over or crash if they want to, but I'm not gonna do it to myself 'cause of them. lolRight on !
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Hey all,Just an update. I'm thinking of having something on the grill like burgers and dogs with small bags of chips, or byomar (bring your own meal and refreshments). My wife suggests we all just go in the afternoon and mob a restaurant as part of the scenic drive. I like the restaurant idea, as I don't have to cook. Any ideas or volunteers for food, speak up. I'm also looking into the towel idea, but, need a solid number of attendees to have enough towels to cover everyone. I need colors, and logos to get started.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I'd be hesitant about I-80 during rush hour... that one gets really clogged up despite going nowhere near the city, due to all the south suburban neighborhoods as well as it being a huge truck route. Away from rush hour, I-80 is fine.And I am one of those people that doesn't go the speed limit and prefers to change lanes rather than slow down. But I'm never the fastest on the road!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
hotbug1776

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by hotbug1776 »

If its going to be trouble, 224 runs all the way to I-71, then I-271 runs to I-90, which ends up in Erie. Or, Ohio route 2 from East Toledo is 4 lanes at 60-65 mph running just north of the turnpike until Cleveland where you catch 90 again. I80 in Ohio usually runs smooth and open, and it also splits into I90 in Elyria, just west of Cleveland. Just watch for rush hour and sporting events and all will be good.
vibenvy

Re: (hotbug1776)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by hotbug1776 »Hey all,Just an update. I'm thinking of having something on the grill like burgers and dogs with small bags of chips, or byomar (bring your own meal and refreshments). My wife suggests we all just go in the afternoon and mob a restaurant as part of the scenic drive. I like the restaurant idea, as I don't have to cook. Any ideas or volunteers for food, speak up. I'm also looking into the towel idea, but, need a solid number of attendees to have enough towels to cover everyone. I need colors, and logos to get started.I think going to a restaurant would be much easier then cooking out. That's what we did in Indy and it worked out really well. Plus it was awesome to see a whole row of Vibes in the restaurant parking lot !
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Well then, I guess we can choose which restaurant we want to go to, or, I can surprise everyone. I was thinking five guys burgers and fries, as it's a classic burger joint, no frills, just burgers. Or the old standbys, Quaker steak and lube, buffalo wild wings, or one of the other theme restaurants. Maybe I'll throw up another poll. Lol
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Wherever we can get a table/section big enough for everyone.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by hotbug1776 »Well then, I guess we can choose which restaurant we want to go to, or, I can surprise everyone. I was thinking five guys burgers and fries, as it's a classic burger joint, no frills, just burgers. Or the old standbys, Quaker steak and lube, buffalo wild wings, or one of the other theme restaurants. Maybe I'll throw up another poll. LolQuote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Wherever we can get a table/section big enough for everyone.A smaller group of us went to BWW in Indy the night we arrived. It was a good time. Saturday night a much larger group of us went to Bucca di Beppos (or however it's spelled ). You may want to call around to a few different places and make sure they can accomodate a larger group of say around 20 people, then based on their responses we can vote on where we want to go. I personally am not picky when it comes to restaurants. I'm there more to hang out with my fellow GenVibers than anything else.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

That's where it gets tricky to me. Have enough seating for the 20 or so, and have food everyone will eat. LolI know Quaker Steak can do it. BW3 can do it. I'll check around a few other places.
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Love me some BWW.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Always wanted to try Quaker Steak. Being from Buffalo, people tell me I need to try the wings. We just don't have any locations close to home in Metro Detroit.
Steelies to the rescue.
hotbug1776

Re: (jkm311)

Post by hotbug1776 »

Ok, how about this then. Friday night, we meet at BW3 (aka buffalo wild wings), and Saturday afternoon, we have an afternoon meal at Quaker Steak & Lube. I can set up reservations at both in advance and make sure there will be enough seating for 20-30 guests. Again, please pm me if you are attending for sure, as my wife does a lot of the planning and gets crazy about details. LolI'm taking that Friday off as my floating holiday, so, I'll finally get to enjoy an auto group gathering once again.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Love that idea! We are semi-officially coming (my husband and I), we are planning a trip to DC for the week beforehand as well to visit friends and celebrate Independence Day. Just waiting on whether these plans will work with upcoming projects for my husband... but otherwise we are THERE!
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

I hate to be non-committal, but I am waiting to see if I have any conflicts with the 4th of July holiday. I think I'm good, but I'll let everyone here know as soon as I can.
Steelies to the rescue.
vibenvy

Re: (jkm311)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by hotbug1776 »Ok, how about this then. Friday night, we meet at BW3 (aka buffalo wild wings), and Saturday afternoon, we have an afternoon meal at Quaker Steak & Lube. I can set up reservations at both in advance and make sure there will be enough seating for 20-30 guests. Again, please pm me if you are attending for sure, as my wife does a lot of the planning and gets crazy about details. LolI'm taking that Friday off as my floating holiday, so, I'll finally get to enjoy an auto group gathering once again.Sounds good to me !Pending any unforseen issues, I will be there. I will be leaving early Friday morning and should arrive Friday late afternoon/evening.w00t! This is my 3000th post!!!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by hotbug1776 » Saturday afternoon, we have an afternoon meal at Quaker Steak & Lube. Except It would be much better to have it an EVENING meal instead. I've eaten at that exact restaurant a few times already in the past and it was excellent. We show off our rides all day, swim, whatever, etc.... then towards evening hit the restaurant, then head back to the hotel for the LED showcase "light show" That worked out perfectly 2 years ago @ Indy
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »We show off our rides all day, swim, whatever, etc.... then towards evening hit the restaurant, then head back to the hotel for the LED showcase "light show" That worked out perfectly 2 years ago @ Indy I agree with Tim. This setup did work well in Indy, except the fact that it was storming big time while we were eating dinner and it was raining when we went to leave, so no one really hung around after dinner .
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

I'm liking all these suggestions Hoping I can still make it...in the process of a possible job/career change and I'm not sure yet if it will affect getting to Erie in July...we'll have to see how it all plays out. I really want to be there though JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
vibenvy

Re: (csxt8058)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by csxt8058 »Hoping I can still make it...in the process of a possible job/career change and I'm not sure yet if it will affect getting to Erie in July...we'll have to see how it all plays out. I really want to be there though Sure hope you can make it JR !
Brandort3

Re: Genvibe Meet official meet date!!! (hotbug1776)

Post by Brandort3 »

Can we have another Indy meet? I missed the last one and i don't live far from there. I'd love to meet more people who love their vibes as much as i do!
hotbug1776

Re: Genvibe Meet official meet date!!! (Brandort3)

Post by hotbug1776 »

Come on over to Erie. I'm sure we'll get back to Indy again, but, the wheels are in motion for Erie this year. Hotels and location are booked and I've begun work on meet souvineers. You'll have a great time. It's always an adventure on a road trip.
ponta2147

Re: Genvibe Meet official meet date!!! (hotbug1776)

Post by ponta2147 »

We should try to keep a running list of who all is coming. I'm getting excited (though there's a lot of time until we get there, and a lot of day-to-day work and life in the meantime to get through)
ponta2147

Re: Genvibe Meet official meet date!!!

Post by ponta2147 »

Ok, more talking about this! I want to plan! :lol:
We can bring that outdoor tent thing we brought last time.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ponta2147 wrote:Ok, more talking about this! I want to plan! :lol:
We can bring that outdoor tent thing we brought last time.
Awesome Michelle ;) Sounds like you're getting pumped-up for this event. Glad to see/hear that you'll be a part of this again. I should have my wife with me this time (she'll likely be at one of the beaches though :roll: ) so there will be NO ROOM for my 8 ft step ladder :cry: . I too am ready for this event. It will be here before you know it !!!

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:I should have my wife with me this time (she'll likely be at one of the beaches though :roll: ) so there will be NO ROOM for my 8 ft step ladder :cry:.
GREAT times in Indy :)!

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Triple AAA has sent me a thick package of materials. I've got a map of Illinois and Ohio, a book of attractions along the way (also hotels and restaurants), and TWO maps, custom made for my trip. One with tolls, the other without. I'll take the toll roads, since I'd make up the cost in gas by going the extra 300 miles. :o
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Welllll... mostly I want to plan this more because we are planning on attending this meet around a video shoot for a week at a factory in Ohio, and a visit for a week to Washington DC, so we need to start our planning early! Especially when it comes to the amount of crap we are going to have to shove into the poor Vibe to make it two weeks: clothing and toiletries for both an industrial environment, a fun/casual summer environment, AND business meetings, large cases of video equipment, pillows and bedding for staying at a friend's house in DC, stuff for the meet (maybe that tent? or maybe I'd have to have one of the other Chicago vibers bring it for me since it will probably not fit), etc. SO. MUCH. PLANNING!

And it's just ironic that we'll be shoving this all into my Vibe instead of the larger GMC Terrain we just bought, due to the meet. :lol:
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Posted this event on genvibe facebook too.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colterk

Post by colterk »

hotbug1776 wrote:The Erie, Pa meet will be July 7th at Presque Isle in Erie Pa.Hope to get more planning done, but this is the big step.Now on to hotels and other things to help save every one a couple dollars here and there.
I google mapped erie from nw wa, I will definitely be passing on this. 2600 miles..1 day 17 hrs. im going to +3 the west coast lol
Link to my 'garage' thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38548
Led Powered Since '87
trtlflwrs

Post by trtlflwrs »

Yay! I'm not online nearly as much as I used to be, but I'm excited for the Erie meet! :D

Hard to commit, but as long as work schedules will let the hubby and I drive up- we'll be there! It's only about 1.5 hours for us (straight up OH11 to 90) and we have friends there, too. I will be able to know for sure only about 2 weeks before the meet. But I'm crossing my fingers!
2007 sun & sound, preferred pack, 5-speed, mono Abyss with metallic blue pins... oooh aaaah
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trtlflwrs wrote:Yay! I'm not online nearly as much as I used to be, but I'm excited for the Erie meet! :D

Hard to commit, but as long as work schedules will let the hubby and I drive up- we'll be there! It's only about 1.5 hours for us (straight up OH11 to 90) and we have friends there, too. I will be able to know for sure only about 2 weeks before the meet. But I'm crossing my fingers!
Hope you can make it. The more the merrier :D!
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Just a reminder that the show is up on the "events" of the Genvibe Facebook page. I see some of you have RSVP already, which really helps me to get the event planned.

If I could get a more "final" number by June 1st, I would greatly appreciate it. Better numbers helps me to better assemble door prizes and schedule side events like reservations for restaurants.

I'm hoping this years event brings bigger and better events in the years to come.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

hotbug1776 wrote:
If I could get a more "final" number by June 1st, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm a definite ;) just didn't confirm my room reservation yet. Had to wait on juniors college plans/choices. You may want to post a running list of who's in and who's a maybe. This worked well two years ago to where we could clearly see & predict the number of GenVibers attending. Also it was 80% accurate if I'm not mistaken which is pretty good :)

thebarber

Post by thebarber »

im surprised you guys don't hook up with the matrixowners meet....thats where ill be going in pittsburgh, pa may 18-20
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

thebarber wrote:im surprised you guys don't hook up with the matrixowners meet....thats where ill be going in pittsburgh, pa may 18-20
Details?
Maybe I'll head down and check it out, it's only like 2.5 hours away. Maybe I can get a few vibe drivers to join in up north as well.

Side note. Goodies are starting to arrive in big white and brown vans. My wife and I are excited that we can do something like this.

The Facebook group has an event posted with RSVP which I can automatically look at and see who's going. Ahhh the wonders of Facebook when it's not used to show how poorly you were raised or show the world how much of a donkeys hindquarters you really are.
Last edited by hotbug1776 on Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

It is with a very heavy heart that I make this post...

I am not going to be able to make it to Erie. I have been crunching numbers and there's just no way money-wise I am going to be able to make the trip. The hotel is $144 a night x 2 nights = $288 + tax = $300+. It's 500+ miles one way, so that would be at least 4 tanks of gas round trip which would be roughly $150. Then I figure at least another $100 for food and miscellaneous. In total I'd be looking at spending at least $500 and then throw in the money I'd be missing by taking a day or two off work and putting 1000+ miles on the Vibe in just a couple days. Then on top of all this, my registration renewal is due in July which is $99. As much as I would love to make the trip, it's just not possible :cry:. I really hope everyone has fun and is safe. I'll be looking forward to lots of pictures!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Carrie :( Is there anyone you can shack up with to split costs? Sleep in your Vibe and you can use my room's shower! I wish there were a way for you to still pull this off. If not we'll understand.

hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

J_TO_ENVY wrote:It is with a very heavy heart that I make this post...

I am not going to be able to make it to Erie. I have been crunching numbers and there's just no way money-wise I am going to be able to make the trip. The hotel is $144 a night x 2 nights = $288 + tax = $300+. It's 500+ miles one way, so that would be at least 4 tanks of gas round trip which would be roughly $150. Then I figure at least another $100 for food and miscellaneous. In total I'd be looking at spending at least $500 and then throw in the money I'd be missing by taking a day or two off work and putting 1000+ miles on the Vibe in just a couple days. Then on top of all this, my registration renewal is due in July which is $99. As much as I would love to make the trip, it's just not possible :cry:. I really hope everyone has fun and is safe. I'll be looking forward to lots of pictures!
Dang, was really hoping you would make it. Anything on my end that I can look in to to try and help?
ccrane9

Post by ccrane9 »

Ok, this is my first post as I just found the group on line. But I've been reading over the posts and I am pretty sure that no one has mentioned this connection: I found out about Chief Pontiac and his place in history when looking in the AAA book for things to do in Erie. Seems like there is quite a bit of history if anyone is interested:

History
The name Pontiac was first used in 1893 by the Pontiac Buggy Co. The company later became the Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works Co. In 1906, Oakland Motor Car Co. merged with Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works. General Motors acquired both brands in 1909. The first GM Pontiac automobile was marketed in 1926.

Meaning
The Pontiac Buggy Co. originated in Pontiac, Michigan, and took its name from the location. The name originated from Chief Pontiac, who has great importance in U.S. history.
Chief Pontiac led his Ottawa tribe in uprisings against the British during the French and Indian War. Though the battles were not successful, Chief Pontiac became legendary for his bravery and diplomacy.

Fun Fact
The first Pontiac released by GM in 1926 set an automobile industry record by selling 76,000 cars in its first year. It was priced under $900.

Fort Presque IsleFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fort Presque Isle
Erie, Pennsylvania, USA
Coordinates 42°08′14″N 80°04′46″W / 42.137085°N 80.079374°W / 42.137085; -80.079374
Built 1753
In use 1753–1763;
1786–1852
Demolished 1852
Controlled by France 1753–1759
British Empire 1759–1763
United States 1786–1852
Battles/wars Pontiac's Rebellion

Fort Presque Isle (also Fort de la Presqu'île) was a fort built by French soldiers in 1753 along Presque Isle Bay at present-day Erie, Pennsylvania. The fort was part of a line that included Fort Le Boeuf, Fort Machault, and Fort Duquesne.

The fort was built as part of the French military occupation of the Ohio Country; rival claims to the area by the British led to the French and Indian War. After the 1759 British victory at the Battle of Fort Niagara, the French burned the fort and retreated from the area.

French Forts, 1753 and 1754The British built a new Fort Presque Isle, which was captured by American Indians during Pontiac's Rebellion. On June 19, 1763, the fort was surrounded by about 250 Ottawas, Ojibwas, Wyandots, and Senecas. After holding out for two days, the garrison of approximately sixty men surrendered on the condition that they could return to Fort Pitt. Most were instead killed after emerging from the fort.

General Anthony Wayne first arrived in the area of Presque Isle in 1786. In 1795, 200 Federal troops from Wayne's army, under the direction of Captain John Grubb, built a blockhouse on Garrison Hill, in present-day Erie, Pennsylvania. Also named Fort Presque Isle, the blockhouse was used as part of a defense against Native American uprisings. It was also used during the War of 1812. General Wayne was stricken ill at Fort Presque Isle and died there in 1796. At his request, his body was buried under the flagpole of the northwest blockhouse of the fort. This blockhouse burned in 1852. In 1880, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania reconstructed the blockhouse at Second and Ash Streets, Erie, as a memorial to General Wayne. The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission has recognized the reconstructed blockhouse as eligible for placement on the National Register of Historic Places.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

You know. This is kinda weird. I just suggested on genvibe Facebook that we try to meet in Pontiac Illinois next year. Home of the route 66 museum as well as the Pontiac Oakland car museum. Twilight zone stuff happening here. Lol
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

tpollauf wrote:Carrie :( Is there anyone you can shack up with to split costs? Sleep in your Vibe and you can use my room's shower! I wish there were a way for you to still pull this off. If not we'll understand.
This could be an easy way to get around the whole "minors" issue for me and my friend at the hotel. Carrie and I could split costs and either Carrie, me, or my friend find someone else to bunk with. Save money on food by bringing it with you from home.

Regardless of this, I still want to stop by and meet you when I'm passing through Chicagoland.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

KITT222 wrote:
tpollauf wrote:Carrie :( Is there anyone you can shack up with to split costs? Sleep in your Vibe and you can use my room's shower! I wish there were a way for you to still pull this off. If not we'll understand.
This could be an easy way to get around the whole "minors" issue for me and my friend at the hotel. Carrie and I could split costs and either Carrie, me, or my friend find someone else to bunk with. Save money on food by bringing it with you from home.

Regardless of this, I still want to stop by and meet you when I'm passing through Chicagoland.
That takes you down to $70 or so plus tax!!! Might be worth it. That and gas should be about $3.70 a gallon here and $3.50-$3.70 in Ohio. Food, byof and just eat out Saturday night. You have a month to save. It will be worth it to come.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Definitely still try to come, Carrie... I want to see everyone and it seems like this meet is already a lot smaller than the 2010 meet... I'm all about saving money on food too! I know there's usually at least a free breakfast at these hotels...
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Can we start a running list of who is planning on coming, though? We haven't officially booked anything anywhere yet (trying to smooth out the end-of-June/beginning-of-July schedules)...
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

ponta2147 wrote:Definitely still try to come, Carrie... I want to see everyone and it seems like this meet is already a lot smaller than the 2010 meet... I'm all about saving money on food too! I know there's usually at least a free breakfast at these hotels...
To be honest, I've only got about 12-15 on "the list" so far.

I was thinking of inviting our cousins, the matrix owners, just to get some more to join in. I'm not sure if that's a good idea yet, as I was prepared for around 20 or so cars (give or take a few), and if another 20 or so matrix owners show, we genvibe might get lost in the crowd.

I will say this. My wife is demanding we get food for the meet. So, lunch is covered for Saturday, and we are more than happy to give Carrie, or anyone else, a doggy bag to help get them home. Lunch will most likely be hot dogs and chips with cheap soda and water. Maybe some cookies. Lol

We also are looking into a steak and seafood house with a buffet. We would have a "private" area.

There are "lower cost" (read not high quality) hotels that may be cheaper, but, I don't guarantee you will want to bunk there.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

My dad is a travel expert, so he's going to look into hotels and stuff for me this week. I'll actually probably stop in Toledo on the way to, and Madison on the way back. Maybe I should stop by my Vibe's original dealer in Ohio for pictures...

Also important for this trip: car wash locations. My Vibe is going to covered in bugs from all across the Midwest by the time we land in Erie, and I don't entirely want to cover her nose in blue tape, so I'll need to give my Vibe a quick wash in Erie.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

KITT222 wrote:Also important for this trip: car wash locations. My Vibe is going to covered in bugs from all across the Midwest by the time we land in Erie, and I don't entirely want to cover her nose in blue tape, so I'll need to give my Vibe a quick wash in Erie.
I have no idea if this is anywhere near anything, but since I have unlimited Delta Sonic carwashes, Imma find this place:
http://deltasoniccarwash.com/locations/erie.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;