Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet

List events, gatherings, rallies, meets, etc.
hotbug1776

Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet

Post by hotbug1776 »

I'm pretty sure there will be a multi-meet scenario, but, to get things started, what are a few things you might want to do for The meet in Erie, Pa?I'm open to other suggestions as well, as this would be my first meet I'm planning.In fact, if anyone wants to lend a hand in the planning, besides my wife, I'd be grateful.I'll post up more polls as we go to decide on meet activities, foods, and other things like awards, plaques, trophies, stickers, etc. I'll try to do my best at this, so, please, bear with me.I'm going to poll for a date when I learn where we're going and what we're doing.Edit:for those that want to take a peek at the park - http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/st...x.htmEditx2:Are there going to be families coming? If so, I can get a face painter and will plan some stuff to keep the kiddies occupied.
vibenvy

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (hotbug1776)

Post by vibenvy »

I voted for the quiet state park meet. Personally I was very happy with the 2010 Indy meet we had. A few of us met up Friday night for dinner. Saturday morning/afternoon everyone started showing up at the park for the actual meet. Some people brought snacks, drinks, etc. and everyone just hung out, chatted, took pictures, etc. Then most, if not all, of us met up at the hotel a few of us out of towners stayed at and we did an awesome photoshoot in the parking lot. After the photoshoot, we all cruised together to a restaurant for a nice "family dinner". After dinner everyone pretty much went their seperate ways. The few of us that stayed over left Sunday morning. It wasn't super structured, but was still alot of fun. I think less is more. I went to a couple J-Body Bashes and there was almost too much going on which is why I preferred the laid back atomsphere we had in Indy. Just my $.02.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
csxt8058

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by csxt8058 »

I agree with Carrie and voted accordingly. I hope to get out there and meet a bunch of folks. I've never been to something like this, but it should be fun! JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Not too complicated, and I like that, kinda like the v6z24 meets were (or so I had heard). The "cruise" portion could be a scenic route as I'm sure the stop and go traffic of the area is not something we would all want to sit in.
vibenvy

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (csxt8058)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by csxt8058 »I've never been to something like this, but it should be fun!It will most certainly be fun! I know we had an awesome time in Indy!Quote, originally posted by hotbug1776 »Not too complicated, and I like that, kinda like the v6z24 meets were (or so I had heard). The "cruise" portion could be a scenic route as I'm sure the stop and go traffic of the area is not something we would all want to sit in.A cruise on some scenic backroads would be cool. We could stop and get pictures along the way as well.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I'm good with anything so I'll just stand back and watch the polls. Although from what Carrie says it seems like what they did at Indy was pretty fun. Although I would also like to throw the Vibe around some backroads with the nice scenery, and I am not at all against photoshoots. If there's any way I can help, I'd love to.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Presque Isle state park all the way Been there quite a few times and the water on the eastern end of lake Erie is SOOOOO much cleaner than where I live on the west end of the lake This will be an excellent choice for a meet
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jkm311

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (tpollauf)

Post by jkm311 »

As one of the folks that had a hand in organizing the Indy Meet, I'm glad to see people appreciating the balance of activities we had. David (Wolfman213) pegged the locale, I believe. Michelle (ponta2147) made sure dinner was secure, Tim (houseofbugs) took video of the park weeks in advance so we could get a feel for the spot we wanted to secure, Kirk (kostby) made us all 8.5x11 sheets to put in our windshields, identifying our Vibes info and whatnot... I believe we had name tags in the mix, too. Brian (BlueCrush) and Michelle's husband took some great pics/video, etc. But the point being, everyone pitched in when the locale was locked in. I regret not being able to be in the photo session and cruise that went on, but I was also visiting family 30 minutes outside of Indy that weekend, so I was doing a lot of running back and forth. Erie looks decent for me right now, as I drive through there twice a year or so to meet family in WNY (sheesh, where *don't* I have family). I might be able to make this.And if it helps at all, this is our gargantuan (31 pages) thread of how the Indy Meet came together: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...age=1EDIT: I also voted for the state park, just for the prospect of photo ops and potential shade. We baked and schvitzed in Indy like crazy, so in a related story, I also support a late spring or fall date, too. Ha! It'll be nice to be over-looking Lake Erie.
Steelies to the rescue.
KITT222

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (jkm311)

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »EDIT: I also voted for the state park, just for the prospect of photo ops and potential shade. We baked and schvitzed in Indy like crazy, so in a related story, I also support a late spring or fall date, too. Ha! It'll be nice to be over-looking Lake Erie.2nd week of June possibly?
vibenvy

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (KITT222)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »We baked and schvitzed in Indy like crazy, so in a related story, I also support a late spring or fall date, too. Ha! It'll be nice to be over-looking Lake Erie.The heat was the only negative thing about the Indy meet!Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »2nd week of June possibly?2nd week of June could work. The Indy meet was in the middle of July which was absolute hell heat-wise.
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

I'd be good with June..long days, moderate temps. usually. JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
tpollauf

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (csxt8058)

Post by tpollauf »

Keep in mind also that we'll have a HUGE pond (Lake Erie) within a few hundred feet of where we'd be, so even if it were to be a bit warm & humid, there would likely be a breeze off the lake. This WAS NOT the case two summers ago in Indy. Also any weekend in June should work for me. Adding to the credits of what took place in Indy, was the 8 ft ladder I brought for some of those awesome aerial shots we took

hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

I can get the "perfect" shelter, VERY close parking, beach, playground (I have kids), Three grills. I'm not too worried about electric, the site has it, but, if we need it, we'll have at least a dozen outlets (how many other car meets can bring their own power, LOL). Plus, it's semi private, my wife wanted me to add that. it's a little bit of a drive into the park to get there, but it is a pretty drive. ALSO, biking, hiking, Kayaking, canoeing, rollerblading, skating, and tons of other activities are done here as well as Kiting and swimming.Problem is, June 2nd is the ONLY open Saturday in the month. Next open Saturday is the 7th of July.Next thing is, and it's NOT a real problem, site cost is $99 plus tax (again, not an issue, unless no one shows up). Side note, you guys are making this really easy to plan out!!! I won't need figure out too much except where to do the stuff you guys mention. You all are GREAT!!!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by hotbug1776 »I can get the "perfect" shelter, VERY close parking, beach, playground (I have kids), Three grills. I'm not too worried about electric, the site has it, but, if we need it, we'll have at least a dozen outlets (how many other car meets can bring their own power, LOL). Plus, it's semi private, my wife wanted me to add that. it's a little bit of a drive into the park to get there, but it is a pretty drive. ALSO, biking, hiking, Kayaking, canoeing, rollerblading, skating, and tons of other activities are done here as well as Kiting and swimming.Problem is, June 2nd is the ONLY open Saturday in the month. Next open Saturday is the 7th of July.Next thing is, and it's NOT a real problem, site cost is $99 plus tax (again, not an issue, unless no one shows up). Side note, you guys are making this really easy to plan out!!! I won't need figure out too much except where to do the stuff you guys mention. You all are GREAT!!!The area you described sounds perfect !Saturday June 2nd would be fine with me! As far as the $99.00 goes, heck that's not much. Even if only 10 people showed up, that's $9.90 a person. Not a big deal at all. Maybe what we could do is have people "register" and their "fee" could cover the rental fee. Just a thought.
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

The 2nd of June sounds awesome to me. The *only* negative thing I could see is people being a bit reserved about traveling if they did so for the Memorial Day weekend preceding. I have ZERO trouble with this, and I will most certainly pay my fair share of whatever fee is associated with this amazing space you and your wife have described, Andrew. Like I said, we will band together to make this all happen if a good few folks are on board.Plus, and I don't know if this matters, June 2nd precedes most schools letting out for the summer, so volumes of crowds may be just about perfect.
Steelies to the rescue.
KITT222

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (jkm311)

Post by KITT222 »

Yeah, June 2nd is the weekend before I get out of school. Well... I guess I would hate to miss it, but if that's what works for everyone I'll just have to go another year.
dustie

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (KITT222)

Post by dustie »

I dont know about that one. Sounds like a great idea but a bit far for me personally.. Maybe the regional meets would work? 2100 miles is just too much.... and im probably not even the person the furthest away
mac99d

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (dustie)

Post by mac99d »

Dustie you can come to Colorado as a half-way point and if lovemyraffe goes we can all make the trip together. Maybe even pick up a few people along the way. Besides if you go we will have something to do (an oil change because I am sure you will need one lol)
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dustie

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (mac99d)

Post by dustie »

that might work.. I've got family in Denver.. I was born in glen wood springs after all haha
star_deceiver

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (dustie)

Post by star_deceiver »

About 2100 mile for me as well.... 2 full days of driving....
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
hotbug1776

Re: Things to do at the Erie, Pa meet (star_deceiver)

Post by hotbug1776 »

Don't feel like it's a long trip, but, more of an adventure. I can possibly provide a driveway, jack, and stands for any oil changes needed, as long as the wife agrees. Also, if we could do the regional thing it would save on the petrol bill, but, I would be ecstatic it you west coasters showed.As for the school date thing, I haven't reserved anything yet, and things like school help to make decisions. I forgot about school and I get my older kids for the summer starting that weekend I believe. I can push it to July 7th, weekend after Independence day, it will be warm here, but, not sweltering. Any later and we run the risk of biker heaven with Roar on the Shore (19,20,21), Discover Presque Isle (27,28,29). Both would make getting ANYWHERE around Erie IMPOSSIBLE. LOLOnce I get some vacation time at work, I would like to make the trip to the west coast, and flying is not an option. I live my life by the Griswald way. LOL
dustie

Post by dustie »

Bahaha I like this man, Griswald reference.. I would love to attend an entire club meet but like I said before.. 2000+ miles just isnt realistic for myself.. and probably quite a few others over here on the west side of the country.. Maybe we should figure out how many we have in each region trying to attend and work something out with them.. I just mentioned here in Vegas because i know they do wicked low airfare usually.. That way no matter what section of the us you're in there is a possibility.. There are quite a few of the "scenic" options here as well.. Mount Charleston is maybe 30 minutes out of town and pretty great.. its actually got snow right now.. There is a pretty cool photo op spot about 20 minutes the other way in a huge dry lake bed that a lot of commercials and such are filmed at.. along with hoover dam about 30 minutes out.. lake mead about 20 minutes.. the race track allows open runs as long as you have insurance and a helmet.. Im sure i can find my old street bike helmets around here somewhere haha. And not to mention all the stuff on the strip/around vegas.. Saturday there was a "Private event" at the plaza hotel down in old vegas.. about 100 lambos/ferraris/bentleys/vipers/ect.. all free for the club with discounted rates on rooms/food.. they manager said as long as they numbers show it doesnt matter what type of car/motorcycle or what ever..
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I'm good with either date and don't think it would be too hot on the July 7th date. I'm thinking the July date may end up being the more popular date especially those of us in school or having kids in school. When do you need to put a deposit down on the chosen date? This will give us an idea on how quickly to make a decision.

hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Well, the way it works is first come first serve, so I'll probably reserve this week.My kids go back to their mother on either that Friday or Saturday (6-7 July), so, I'll be kid reduced, never free. LOLAs for the regional meets, it just makes sense in this economy to stay closer to home. IMO if things don't turn around soon we'll all be going to meets on our bicycles. Talk about a long trip!!!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »I'm good with either date and don't think it would be too hot on the July 7th date. I'm thinking the July date may end up being the more popular date especially those of us in school or having kids in school. When do you need to put a deposit down on the chosen date? This will give us an idea on how quickly to make a decision. I agree !