Tree Sap---arghhhh

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
snowman

Tree Sap---arghhhh

Post by snowman »

Went out to my Vibe at lunch from work and found half of it covered with sticky sap.......the day after I picked it up from the bodyshop after $2000 worth of repairs. One guy at work reccommended gas line antifreeze would remove it but would also remove all the paintseal the bodyshop just applied and I would have to re wax the whole car. Does anyone know of a good way to remove treesap before it kills the already delicate paint on my Vibe.thanks
snowman2003 Vibe--Black......................................
snowman

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (silverawd26)

Post by snowman »

Thanks for your advice..I went to go to Canadian Tire to see what they had for tree sap remover but on the way I stopped at a self serve car wash just for kicks. To my amazement it washed right off with just the water spray and some soap, no brushes! I don't know whether the temperature was right for it not to stick or whether my paint sealant (teflon based) saved it, but I do know it made me smile...... I will no longer park on the street across from work, back to the assigned lot and the 5 minute walk, not so bad now that it is not -20C...
snowman2003 Vibe--Black......................................
ragingfish

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (snowman)

Post by ragingfish »

Most bug and tar removers will take that stuff right off without harming the finish.But always make sure that you're keeping a good wax coat on - will help keep it from sticking and let's it wash away easier.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Stang2Vibe

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (ragingfish)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Raging has it exactly right. But after using any kind of bug and tar remover the car still has to be washed and re-waxed. Most of them contain solvents that will strip off the wax. Keeping a good coat of wax on the car does wonders in helping to prevent things from sticking to it. Since your finish was recently sealed, it kept the sap from sticking.I've also heard of an old trick to coat the front end of the car with WD-40 before going on a long highway trip to keep bugs from sticking to the car.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
MadBill

Post by MadBill »

Great info, silver! I tried half a dozen products (including tar remover) the first time I ran into this problem, and gas line antifreeze was the only thing that worked! Glad to hear it isn't an instant paint killer, but I'll try the clay bar thing this year. (There a big city-owned birch that gums up two of our cars every year. The only good news is the sap is transparent, so the cars don't look too bad if you don't get too close...)
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by silverawd26 »The thread needs to be made sticky I think... I just found the information, thats all to help out anyone.Excellent suggestion---Done!
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Charlievibe

Post by Charlievibe »

I question the nail polish remover statement (To remove the tree sap from your vehicle's surface, you can use finger nail polish remover on a cotton ball. After the sap is removed, make a paste of water and baking soda to wash the affected area, then apply wax.) and would suggest that it probably isn't the best thing to be using on your car.I am a chemist and we use acetone to remove pretty much everything from everything. If you are using acetone based nail polish remover, I would tread very, very lightly. One of the products I have analyzed in my job is the paint GM uses on the Envoy. Acetone stripped it off of the surface VERY nicely.Just be careful.
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
champcaracing

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (Charlievibe)

Post by champcaracing »

THE CLAY BAR!!!! get it, it works wonders, rail dust just disappears, sap same results!!! then use a good wax
03 toyota matrix XRS 6 speed, lunar mist,factory 17 inch rims w/firehawks- summer tiresfactory 16 inch rims with dunlops- winter tirestrd sway bars, trd strut brace, trd sport muffler,trd quick shifter,trd cold air intake, toyota tundra dual horns,factory toyota wing from toyota canada, both front door handle modsNEW pioneer AVIC-D1 nav unit, XM radio installed
Nick1556

Post by Nick1556 »

I agree, use the claybar.. or even a bit of Simple Green on the glass (not the body) will help as well.
Moons and TunesXM RadioRed neons under the seats and inside the glove boxRed LEDs inside the vent ductsBlue neons under the carRF 900 watt ampSony Xplod 12 subwooferXeon blue headlights, foglights, and backup lights
threekrows

Re: (Nick1556)

Post by threekrows »

go with the clay,and DON'T use your fingernailsto scratch it off,it leaves little scratches in the paint you have to buff out
ebslopp

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (champcaracing)

Post by ebslopp »

Quote, originally posted by champcaracing »THE CLAY BAR!!!! get it, it works wonders, rail dust just disappears, sap same results!!! then use a good wax So you just use the claybar without any type of solvent?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

Goo Gone?
Stang2Vibe

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (ebslopp)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by ebslopp »So you just use the claybar without any type of solvent? No, never use the clay bar on the surface of the car without first spraying it with the lube. The lube that comes with the clay bars is just a spray quick detailer product. Those are available in many parts/automotive stores and even probably in WalMart.
sidewinder

Post by sidewinder »

Another simple thing that really works great on tree sap is Denatured Alcohol applied with a cotton swab and then as with the other remedies reapply wax or paint sealer. Works on all tree sap, soft or the hard kind which was left too long. Keep the swab moist and don't try to rub it dry as it will leave scratches from the dry swab. Let it dry by evaporation and then apply the wax or whatever you use.
2004 Neptune Base vibe, 5spd, GM seat covers, GM bra, rear storage area carpet, Silverstar headlights, foglights and parklights.
wicked1981

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (sidewinder)

Post by wicked1981 »

I parked once under a tree at work and got sap all over the car that was the last time I parked under a tree.
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
Emerica13

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (wicked1981)

Post by Emerica13 »

Never got tree sap on my car, but I got it in my hair just a few days ago. Took forever to get out
2003 Shadow Vibe GT
ladyricochet

Post by ladyricochet »

Best way to remove treesap - use tar remover - it wont harm your paint.
TONY TAT2

Re: Tree Sap---arghhhh (ladyricochet)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

remove tree's[IMG][/IMG]that was 1 of them 6ft balled christmass tree's when i planted it,unfortunately i planted it in the wrong spot dropped another while i was at it[IMG][/IMG]click on thumbnail's,u can see the sap build up on the car port,the sap would b a real mess at times, i would use wd-40 to remove the sap from the cars
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
MrDoopey

Re: (Vibe Rater)

Post by MrDoopey »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe Rater »Goo Gone?I tried Goo gone, and wasn't thrilled with the results. Although I may have used to much or left it sit too long. My result was a slight fade in the paint. Very hard to notice, but still there.Tar remover works to, but I found I really had to work it, and didn't work on the dried up drops.Tree sap on the windshield is fine though, with any product. I actually use a white eraser on the dried up ones (again..windshield; not the body)
MrDoopey 2003 base model, two-tone abyss, automatic, with power package, 6 speaker package