Are there safe, natural things to use on dashboard?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Plarka

Are there safe, natural things to use on dashboard?

Post by Plarka »

I use just water and Norwex microfiber to clean inside my car, but how can I take care of the dashboard and other vinyl and plastic in my car with natural stuff? I don't know what it's called....polishing? I just bought a new used car and the guy obviously was putting something on the dash etc and it looks really nice! I googled a bit but the 'natural' stuff wasn't as natural as I had hoped. Any ideas?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
jolt

Re: Are there safe, natural things to use on dashboard?

Post by jolt »

Vinyl and plastic are not natural so anything you put on it that is natural is not going to help. The real damage is done be UV light. Put something on it that blocks UV and it will help the plastic. You may want to check this product out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009IQXCC

It is called Meguiar's G4116 Natural Shine Protectant - 16 oz. Highlights are; Maintains "like new" look; Mild cleaning agents; UV protection
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

vibenvy wrote:I use Mothers Interior Protectant.
Does it have a strong smell?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Another huge thing that will help is buying a sun shade and putting it up when you park. I live in Phoenix so it's a basic necessity here, but I never used one in the midwest and I wish I had. easily a 15-20 degree difference inside the car after a long day out in the sun. Also makes my choice of dash protectant (armorall) last longer.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Plarka wrote:Does it have a strong smell?
I wouldn't call it strong. It actually smells like cherries!
treesleavedents wrote:Another huge thing that will help is buying a sun shade and putting it up when you park. I live in Phoenix so it's a basic necessity here, but I never used one in the midwest and I wish I had. easily a 15-20 degree difference inside the car after a long day out in the sun. Also makes my choice of dash protectant (armorall) last longer.
I totally agree about a sun shade! I got a direct-fit one from WeatherTech a year or so ago and I use it every day at work because my Vibe is out in the direct sunlight all day. It definitely keeps the interior significantly cooler than without it. The WeatherTech ones are $49.95, but they are direct-fit. They aren't the cheap universal ones you see at Walmart, Auto Zone, etc. They are also double sided. One side is silver and the other is black. During the summer, you put the silver side facing out to reflect heat. During the winter, you put the black side out to retain heat and help keep frost and ice from building up on the windshield.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Pretty much everything about your car is unnatural. The only "natural" parts are that we use natural (physics, chemistry) laws to engineer and create vehicles. Wholly synthetically created products (as opposed to mildly refined natural products like petroleum) also tend to be better quality because they are more pointedly designed at fulfilling a purpose in maintaining your car.

Unless you massage the products into your skin or sit with no airflow inside the car in the direct sunlight, they will do no harm to you. Read the directions and you'll be good, because the manufacturers prefer you not to take risks with their products because they don't want bad PR or to get sued.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

It's all pretty much been said so I'll simply leave this:

Don't wash your hair for a week or so; give or take. Use your bodies natural oils and a microfiber towel. Problem solved.

I'm half Puerto Rican, so I would only need to go two to three days. ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Serious reply because I just remembered this:

Peanut butter and peanut oil work.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
rockb4

Post by rockb4 »

Wurth Absobon Cockpit Care.

Smells great, has natural Carnuba wax and Jojoba oils. Nice, non oily satin finish look. The only thing that goes on my '10 Vibe base interior.
'10 Vibe Base White