How to keep your headlights from hazing and yellowing

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
vibenvy

How to keep your headlights from hazing and yellowing

Post by vibenvy »

I have been doing this for as long as I can remember, but I just recently saw this topic come up in the automotive section of the local newspaper. Someone wrote in and asked how they could keep the headlights on their vehicle from hazing and yellowing. The answer was simple... wax them! I laughed to myself and thought, "Wow! I'm a genius!" since as I said earlier, I've been waxing all the exterior lights on my vehicles probably since I was 16 and started washing and waxing our family vehicles.

I guess this would also explain why the headlights, taillights and fog lights on both our 2009 Vibe GTs still look brand new!

So, to sum up... wax your headlights, taillights, fog lights, etc. and they should stay nice and clear for a long time to come ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Re: How to keep your headlights from hazing and yellowing

Post by tpollauf »

Awesome advise Carrie :D If anyone here knows how to keep their car shining and looking good , it is you. My Vibe is always garaged BUT juniors is outdoors all the time. We'll have to see the difference as the years accumulate BUT I may just have to wax his sooner than later to keep them clear!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I just started doing this my self. I restored my headlights with a Sylvania kit and after that I have been wiping them with spray wax. Its been 7 months and they look good as new. Last time I used my orbital buffer on the headlights as well. That worked even better than wiping with a microfiber cloth 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Been waxing 'em for years, good advice. :)

Just make sure to avoid anything really abrasive, I took the coating off of a pair back when I assumed it was OK to use a plastic polish on them frequently. :?

On my 2006 Accent, despite frequent waxing they did end up yellowing after about 3 years. But I've also read that the chemicals used at car washes could increase the yellowing. Not sure how much truth there was to that but I was always washing it at those places because apartment. :? Fortunately I can wash them at home now.

I've had the Sonic for almost 2 years/3 months now, only washed at home and only waxed with Turtle Wax Ice, including all lights. They're still looking pretty good. I started the Escape out right as well, it got its first waxing last Saturday (it was built late in the day on 3/16/15.) I hope it works as I cringe at the thought of having to sand down those massive headlights on that thing.

The Vibe's lights are a lost cause - restored them both last fall and one turned out better than the other but still meh at best. I haven't waxed it yet this season since the clearcoat has rapidly fallen into disrepair. But I might give the lights another waxing at least.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Our Vibes only go to the carwash to get sprayed off with plain water during the winter months when it's too cold to hand wash them at home in the driveway. I have also heard the soap at carwashes (automatic and self serve) strips wax off vehicle paint, so hence why I only use plain water.

I forgot to mention, I also clay bar the lights whenever I clay bar the paint (typically twice a year, spring and fall). As far as wax goes, I use Mother's 3 Step Ultimate Wax System on the lights same as I do the paint. I use a small 6" hand buffer / polisher. It's small enough to make waxing so much easier, but not big or powerful enough to burn through the paint or anything like that.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The main thing is that from the factory, the lights have the kind of sealant they use on airplane windshields to protect them from UV. That's the stuff that comes in the Sylvania kit, and it's very thick and resistant to heat.

The plastic under the sealant is defenseless and wimpy by itself.

Next time I do my lights, I'm either getting the Lamin-X covers or another Sylvania kit. I was using some Krylon clearcoat, but the Texas sun has proven it is too brutal, as are bug guts.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Waxing. Great idea for new. And keep it up.
Car washes. Bad , bad , bad for headlights. I had a strong suspicion that it was bad and one day after I had sanded and buffed the headlights in the Vibe, my wife went through the automatic wash and Voila!, the soap literally destroyed the finish of the lights. That quickly. I think it does it faster if the headlights are warm.
Only permanent solution for old headlights is replace or reclear. I have done quite a few and had one set for 5 years with no change. Wetsand up to 2500 and clear with urethane professional autobody clear of your choice. Do the grunt work(sanding and masking) and look at your local autobody painter of choice with big puppy dog eyes and ask him please to shoot some clear on them the next time he paints something. No need for any additives or special primers (though I do like to use Bulldog adhesion promoter), just clear. I would be surprised if he doesn't do it for nothing. I added some black to the top and sides of mine under the clear and am probably going back to do some red visors over the marker light housing in the future. This is a great technique to make custom changes to the shape and design of headlights , tailights, or any plastic lens. THEN wax them. :roll:
samsonite

Post by samsonite »

I just used a 3m Heavy Duty headlight restoration kit on some very hazed headlights. Used each sanding disc for about 10mins on each lense. These things look so awesome now. Almost new! I highly recommend the 3m heavy duty kit.