3 Quick Refinish Restorer questions

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
OcalaFlGuy

3 Quick Refinish Restorer questions

Post by OcalaFlGuy »

First Thanks for having such a neat community here. I've already found lots of good information.

So I've read through 3 brazeelyun search posts and the manufacturers tips and I didn't see answers to these.

If the stars and moons can align I may have a 04 Base in Midnight Blue tomorrow with 120k miles on it ($4500) and these are somethings I need to know.

RE; Coat #2

1) Does the second coat make the gray darker or is it just a more even coat?

2) Does the 2nd coat make it more shiny or about the same?

3) Does the second coat last 2X as long as 1?

Here is my potential new ride. Minus the Team Dork appliques. :x They are supposed to be making those go away but that's 1 of about 3 sticks that could slide in betiwxt the spokes between today and this time tomorrow. :roll:

Thanks in advance,

Bruce in Ocala, Fl
Attachments
Vibe3.jpg
Vibe3.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
OcalaFlGuy

Re: 3 Quick Refinish Restorer questions

Post by OcalaFlGuy »

I was pretty surprised no one here, as much Refinish Restorer that get's used on cladding, would know the answers here.

Here are the answers straight from the RR people themelves.

Staff (Administrator)
1/17/2014 7:27:36 PM The second coat is usually used to even out the first coat for areas where there was extreme fading. There really isn't more shine with a second coat and it does not impact the overall longevity of the application. Enjoy!

Regards,
TRCS

Bruce in Ocala, Fl
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Hes is pretty much on point. Since my Vibe is pretty much parked every day in the hot florida sun, 2 coats last about 6 months. I usually apply it in November ( when it cools off for that kind of work outside) & i begin to noctice it needs another application by June before rainy seaon. Even by then the cladding still looks better than before I first used RR. So dont worry bout it, its a great product. I just put on 2 coats earlier this month & it looks fantastic. Everytime I see another Vibe on the road my cladding ALWAYS looks better :mrgreen:

Just a tip: just like anything prep is the key. Make sure the cladding is super clean before applying. I usually wash the cladding with dish washing soap & then clean off with alcohol or windex. I use those round microfiber wax applicators from walmart. They tend to leave less streaks than a folded microfiber towel. Dont use too much, that will leave streaks as well. Let it dry in between coats. It will be a lil tacky after the first coat, so let it dry. If you try to add another coat while its still tacky you will screw it up LOL. Good luck ! TAKE YOUR TIME !!! & you will be very happy with the results. From your pics the cladding is severley faded, your Vibe will look 100% better when your done & you will be glad you took the time to do it !
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
OcalaFlGuy

Post by OcalaFlGuy »

Thanks!

I think I saw another post of yours mentioning the dish detergent which I would have already used.

Yeah, my car bakes in the sun too.

I thought my cladding looked pretty good really. :( No damage to it and all the moulding is still nice and gray and only chipped in a couple small areas at the rear.

PS; Here is a better shot, the Dorkimus stipes are gone.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl
Attachments
Vibe3.jpg
Vibe3.jpg (126.96 KiB) Viewed 2280 times