fogged headlight lens?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
mbz321

fogged headlight lens?

Post by mbz321 »

Alright...I have an 03 Vibe here with one crystal clear headlight (I believe the car was in a minor fender bender by the previous owner and I'm guessing it was replaced), and another one that is foggy and pitted. I've already tried: toothpaste, polish,and the Turtle Wax lens restoration kit (with the little sanding pads, etc.), but nothing seems to work. It appears like the 'fog' is on the inside, but I'm sure it's not.

Any recommendations besides replacing the whole lens (which I don't plan on doing lol)?
cptnsolo77

Re: fogged headlight lens?

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Try this : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
jake75

Post by jake75 »

When I was at Sam's Club recently they had a headlight lens fog clearing service in their auto dept. for $29 and change. The materials to do it yourself probably cost almost $20.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Tommychu

Post by Tommychu »

I'm not sure what grits the turtle wax kit comes with, but whatever the coarsest was try starting a step or two coarser. It's going to take a ton of work though, I just revived a junkyard headlight with the Mother's kit and had to use my own sandpaper (light was heavily pitted and so yellow it was completely opaque, you couldn't see inside it at all). Took about 4 hours. I also fould that the sanding pads they give you wear out very quickly.
"I like to think GM is sort of like the USSR-In economic terms, an unprecedented catastrophe spanning multiple decades that brought misery to millions, but sometimes they made some nifty vehicles that we just love to post about on the internet."
canadave

Post by canadave »

What's strange though is that the OP said that the imperfections seem to be INSIDE the lens. That's the same thing that I'm seeing on mine, too. I don't know how these "lens restoration" products would have any effect in that case. I've also got no idea how the INSIDE of the lens gets scratched up. But I've run my finger over them, and they definitely seem to be inside somehow. Maybe the OP can confirm this on his.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
keko

Post by keko »

You can 1 of 3 things.

1: buy 500/800/1000 grit wet/dry sand paper (If it's basically in horrible condition go with 400/600/800/1000 wetdry). Give it a really nice clean and dry then mild pressure sand with 500 grit, blowing off excess dust (its going to look worst then before its ok), Clean dry, sand with 800 grit, same as before blowing off excess dust. Clean dry, and WET sand with 1000 grit really good, here it would look ok, but its not enough. Buy meguiars plastx (6 dlr amazon, and you will always have around works for everything) and a dime size amount start buffing it out. Lens will look brand new.

2: for 17 dlrs off amazon you could buy 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, its basically the same thing BUT you could use it a maximum for about 4 head lights (2 cars).

3: ONLY if its a tad bit hazzy. Clean dry and pure white tooth past (you could add a bit of baking soda) and buff it out.

Personal experience. Go with option 1, I did it to my previous car, my brothers car, my GF fathers car results were AMAZING!!!!. This morning I did the same, but only to fog lights and reverse lights which were yellowish and only used plastix on head light.
With first option you will always have around, after you sand your head lights you don't need to sand again, just use plastix anytime you see hazz.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

canadave wrote:What's strange though is that the OP said that the imperfections seem to be INSIDE the lens. That's the same thing that I'm seeing on mine, too. I don't know how these "lens restoration" products would have any effect in that case. I've also got no idea how the INSIDE of the lens gets scratched up. But I've run my finger over them, and they definitely seem to be inside somehow. Maybe the OP can confirm this on his.
Yes, both my headlights have small cracks inside the lens. However, they still look better after. Theres only so much you can do though. My Vibe is a 10 year old car now. Im very (removed) with how I maintain it, but I also have to realize that its 10 years old & it wont ever be perfect :lol: I was ready to but new headlights but sheeesh ! a pair of new lenses on ebay were 300 bucks !
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Update: I checked out the Turtle Wax kits again and realized I didn't use the final 'finishing/sealing' wipes they included..durr. Wiped them over the lenses and it made a 100% difference as it now almost matches the other side. Now when the lights are on, it is easy to see the foggyness and scratches, but isn't real terrible. Will try some of these other suggestions of the sealant somehow wears off.