Cleaning a wheel brush?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
Rayven01

Cleaning a wheel brush?

Post by Rayven01 »

I used a wheel brush on my wheels this weekend when I detailed and it obviously hadn't been done in awhile as the thing came away almost totally black when I was done. I tried hosing it down along with the leftover soap/water but the thing is still grimy looking. Anyone have a trick for cleaning the brush, or should I not worry about it? Just don't want to be putting the brake dust and grime back on the wheels next time I clean them!
Image  Image
Chiadog

Re: Cleaning a wheel brush?

Post by Chiadog »

Not sure about that, but be sure to wear mask and gloves when handling carcinogenic materials (brake dust).
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Rayven01 wrote:I used a wheel brush on my wheels this weekend when I detailed and it obviously hadn't been done in awhile as the thing came away almost totally black when I was done. I tried hosing it down along with the leftover soap/water but the thing is still grimy looking. Anyone have a trick for cleaning the brush, or should I not worry about it? Just don't want to be putting the brake dust and grime back on the wheels next time I clean them!
I just use a wet paper towel and hand clean the alum. wheels. Don't even use soap, just water. With a motorized brush, your just blowing the dust off and back into the air.
I like to use a wet (damp) paper towel to collect all my house whole surface dust.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

This is just a regular bristled, plastic-handled wheel brush I'm talking about, like this:
And I hosed down the wheels first so I wasn't raising the dust everywhere. It's the brush bristles that are covered in black now that I'm wondering how to clean. Soap and water is not doing the trick.
Image  Image
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Use brake cleaner on the brush.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Stained brush bristles won't spread the brake dust/dirt next time you use it on the wheels. Rinse the brush well after each use and it should be fine.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

vibolista wrote:Stained brush bristles won't spread the brake dust/dirt next time you use it on the wheels. Rinse the brush well after each use and it should be fine.
Sweet, this is what I was hoping was the case. Thanks!
Image  Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yep, just make sure to rinse the brush really well after each use and it will be fine.

I personally use a small sponge on the wheels. A brush is going to scratch the heck out of the wheels after a short time.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage