cleaning interior surfaces

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
leopardgirl88

cleaning interior surfaces

Post by leopardgirl88 »

Hey everyone. So my wife and I bought a 09 Vibe a few days ago (on her birthday!) and we want to detail the interior really well. I was hoping people could give me some ideas of what to use on all the different interior surfaces. The shifter and steering wheel are especially faded/dirty. What have others used?
Chiadog

Re: cleaning interior surfaces

Post by Chiadog »

The Vibe I bought must have been owned by a family of cigar smokers! I tried a couple of perfumed products on the headliner and they didn't work. Then I found Meguiars Odor Eliminator and this stuff really works! I will always use this on upholstery.
I use Armor-all on the dash, but not on the steering wheel - too slippery. I am not a fan of Armor-all, but I haven't found anything that's any better.
I would probably use wet-wipes on the shifter and steering wheel.
Good luck and congratulations on the Vibe.
Chiadog
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass (spray bottle) and newspaper to clean the interior windows. I usually go over each window at least twice to really get them clean and streak free.

For the dash, door panels, center console, etc., I first use one of those little interior brushes that you see in the automotive section at Walmart, etc. This will remove most of the dust, dirt, etc. I then follow that up with Mother's Protectant. I use a microfiber towel along with it. I spray some Protectant on the towel, then wipe down one small section of the dash, etc. at a time. To minimize the shine and slick feeling, I go over the same area with a second dry microfiber towel immediately. This process works great and will leave your interior smelling like cherries as an added bonus (all Mother's products smell great!)!

For the steering wheel and shifter (I'm assuming you mean the shift knob?), I would recommend using a mild solution of dish soap and water with a terry cloth towel for scrubbing. The steering wheel especially can get really gross really fast with hands all over it constantly. I would not recommend using any type of interior cleaner on the steering wheel or shift knob as it may cause them to become slick which you obviously don't want. I would recommend considering a steering wheel cover to protect the steering wheel in the future though. I typically just use a damp (with water) towel to wipe down my steering wheel and shift knob. It works great and doesn't leave them feeling slick.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. You may also want to check out Mother's Wax Forum where you will find tons of info, etc. on all aspects of vehicle detailing.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I use Megiars Natural Shine. It has UV protectant & doesnt give the interior that super glossy look.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
leopardgirl88

Post by leopardgirl88 »

I tried water and soap and it worked great, thanks. Only problem was I kept honking the horn! Next time I'll pull the fuse for the horn first.

Does the Mother's leave a shiny look? I don't want a shiny look. I know Meguair's Natural Shine is not suppose to but I haven't tried it.

Has anyone used Lexol Vinylex? I heard it has the best UV protection. I am just worried about it leaving a shine on top of the dash.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

leopardgirl88 wrote:I tried water and soap and it worked great, thanks. Only problem was I kept honking the horn! Next time I'll pull the fuse for the horn first.

Does the Mother's leave a shiny look? I don't want a shiny look. I know Meguair's Natural Shine is not suppose to but I haven't tried it.

Has anyone used Lexol Vinylex? I heard it has the best UV protection. I am just worried about it leaving a shine on top of the dash.
Glad to hear the soap and water worked well :)! I usually end up honking the horn and scaring myself when I'm leaning up to wipe down the dash and/or clean the windshield :lol:!

As with many other cleaners, the Mothers Protectant will be as shiny or as dull as you want depending on how much or how little cleaner you use. If you don't use a lot, it will not be very shiny. If you use a lot, it will be really shiny and slick.

*On a bit of a side note... this is my 4000th post :D!*
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage