What to use to clean and shine the mono bumpers?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
leighangela

What to use to clean and shine the mono bumpers?

Post by leighangela »

I've read some of the threads but I'm not sure what people are calling the plastic bumper parts of the cars that are all one color. My car is white, and in some light the bumper part almost has a yellow tint to it. The part on the back that says Pontiac, where the handle is, is really dull too. What should I use to clean it? Should I use one product to clean it and another to give it a shine?
vibenvy

Re: What to use to clean and shine the mono bumpers?

Post by vibenvy »

If it were my Vibe, here's what I would do...

1. Wash it with Mother's California Gold Car Wash or Mother's California Gold Caranuba Wash & Wax.

2. Dry it.

3. Use the Mother's California Gold Clay Bar System. I use it on the entire vehicle, including the windows, headlights, fog lights and taillights. Most people simply wipe each area down with a clean towel after they use the clay bar, but I wash the vehicle a second time. It may take longer, but I feel it does a better job of removing all the junk the clay bar just removed from your paint, windows, lights, etc. This part is entirely up to you.

4. Apply and remove Mother's Ultimate Wax System Step 1 - California Gold Pure Polish.

5. Apply and remove Mother's Ultimate Wax System Step 2 - California Gold Micro-Polishing Glaze.

6. Apply and remove Mother's Ultimate Wax System Step 3 - California Gold Pure Brazilian Caranuba Liquid Wax.

This is a rather long and tedious process, but it should get rid of the yellowing and dullness you described. Unfortunately white paint is prone to showing staining, etc. much more than any other color, so it takes a little more work to keep looking good.

I do this entire process on both our Vibes twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall. I will actually be doing the fall treatment pretty soon. To maintain it, I use a coat of Step 3 every month or so.

Best of luck restoring your Vibe's appearance ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
leighangela

Post by leighangela »

Interesting, thanks! Do you use all those products on the entire car?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

leighangela wrote:Interesting, thanks! Do you use all those products on the entire car?
You're very welcome!

I use the clay bar on the windows, fog lights, headlights and taillights in addition to the paint obviously. The 3 wax steps I use on the fog lights, headlights and taillights in addition to the paint.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage