First Time Waxing!

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
09vGT

First Time Waxing!

Post by 09vGT »

I really want to protect the paint... because I'll probably have this car for some time.. And make it shiny!.. I've read on here where the Meguires NXT wax was good if you had metallic paint, which I do.. But what about polish? Any recommendations? And I know I have to clay too, first right?So.. Wash, Clay, Polish, then Wax? I'll be doing it by hand.. Don't have a buffer.. Any other wax recommended.. And what kind of towels and stuff do I need? Again.. you're giving advise to someone who has NEVER waxed ANYTHING before OH! One more thing.. Are you suppose to wax the headlamps, fogs, and tails? Or any black plastic?
jammies

Re: First Time Waxing! (09vGT)

Post by jammies »

Finally something I contibute to..First, there are tons of opions and resourses on this topic. Here are a couple forums I have read from time to timehttp://www.meguiarsonline.com/http://www.8thci ... detailing/( Yea-- I own a Civic too )I have used NXT liquid wax for over a year. I do not know about metallic colors, but it makes dark colors very rich. On my Frosty vibe, it is a bit of a PITA since it drys white. Difficult to see to remove. The directions will tell you to apply it to the entire car and wait for it to dry. I have applied it both by hand using a Meguiar's soft foam applicator pad and by PC w/ a 5.5" Lake Country CCS finishing pads. Depending on temp, speed of application, and humidity, you may or may not complete application before your starting section dries. Apply a very thin coat. If it dries thick, it can be a beech to remove.Remove with a thicker pile of microfiber. The Meguiar's supreme shine microfiber work quite well. Not all microfiber is the same. Some will leave behind very small fibers in the finish. These are usually the cheap one. So don't skimp. Cobra makes/sells better microfiber imo. Cobra's "bone" microfiber sponge is tops washing a well rinsed and degreased car. Do not wash microfiber cloths with anything else in the washing machine especially cottons.Other waxes -- I have used a number of cleaner type waxes with good results. They do not last as long as NXT, but will reduce the need for clay baring. IF you car sits outside, they are a good choice.Your order is correct. Some will wash again after the clay, but it is not necessary, unless the clay really came back filthy. I will clay my car maybe twice a year. It is garage kept. If you drop the clay -- throw it out. I highly recommend a two bucket method when washing using grit guards at the bottom of both buckets. I use one bucket for the tires, another for upper body ( clean ) and a third for rinsing whatever washing device I am using ( dirty ).... so technically three buckets.Drying the car -- I have used very soft terry cloth towels, microfiber towels, and even a leaf blower... Funny as it may sound, a leaf blower works great getting moisture out of small cracks including the side mirrors. If you have hard water, you should dry the car with the least amount of pressure possible prior to clay, polish, wax.I have used Meguiar's deep crystal system polish on my PC on occassion with good results. I have not tried it by hand. This is one area of detailing I have not persued in detail.You can go over clear plastics with the NXT, but keep it away from blacks -- front grill, around winshield. It will stain black plastics white.Other?So not work in direct sunlight...my $.02Jammies
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Thanks a lot! Also, my wheels are REAL dirty.. car soap doesn't clean them.. looks like tar, and all kinds of crap.. Whats the best thing to clean them up.. I won't be taking them off the car.. so don't even suggest this I have the standard 18" GT wheels.. as seen in my sig below!
vibenvy

Re: (09vGT)

Post by vibenvy »

You could always use the clay bar on the wheels since they are clear coated just like the paint. The clay bar should remove any tar, etc. I use Mother's California Gold Car Wash to wash the car. I do one small section at a time, working from top to bottom using a microfiber sponge for larger areas and a microfiber bug sponge for smaller areas i.e. windows, etc. I rinse the sponges after each section to ensure nothing "contaminates" them. The wheel wells, wheels and tires are done last with two different sponges (one for the wheel wells and one for the wheels). I use the Mother's California Gold Car Wash to wash the wheel wells and the wheels as well. I use Wesley's Bleache White and a scrub brush on the tires (this method also works great on the GM rubber floor and cargo mats). I dry the car using a water blade (paint), squeegee (windows), air compressor (mirrors, window trim, front grilles, etc.) and finally a microfiber towel. I make sure to wipe out the door jambs, under the hood and the hatch area as well to keep those areas looking good.I use the Mother's California Gold Clay Bar System twice a year. Once in the spring and once in the fall (I will be doing it within the next couple weekends actually). I wash the car after clay barring because I find it easier and more effective than simply wiping the residue off with a towel each time. I clay bar the windows, headlights, taillights, mirror glass and wheels in addition to the paint. Twice a year (after each clay barring) I use a coat of Nu Finish Scratch Doctor, followed by a coat of Mother's California Gold Pure Caranuba Liquid Wax (Step 3 of their 3 step system). The rest of the year, I simply do a coat of the Mother's California Gold Pure Caranuba Wax every month or so (the Mother's California Gold Car Wash actually has caranuba wax in it, so that helps maintain a nice shine and protection as well). I apply the wax using a small hand-held buffer with microfiber pads. I do one section at a time, let it dry to a haze and remove it with microfiber towels. I wax the headlights, taillights, muffler tip and wheels in addition to the paint. I use Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel on the tires and "shine" up the wheel wells with Turtle Wax tire foam. It usually takes me about an hour and a half just to wash the Vibe (not including drying it) .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jammies

Post by jammies »

Wheels --I would start with the least agressive stuff available. A good car wash soap. I've used most of the Maguair's products.Two bucket method of tires as well. I start by rinsing down the tires and wheel wells while in a shady area. I will then scrub the wheel wells as best I can with a soft sponge. I am not too worried about scratches inside the wheel well. A previous post noted the black undrcoating coming off while cleaning -- so be aware. If needed I will use an old toothbrush as well to get into small recesses. The sponge I used for the wheel wells is ONLY for wheel wells. I do not use it on the tires/rims. Sometimes I will spray a general purpose degreaser into the wheel well prior ro cleaning. Spray and rinse the wheel wells throughly.The Tires I scrub with a palm sized scrub brush. The type that has a knob handle you hold lake a baseball. Between the tires and the rims I'll use the old tooth brush. The rims I clean with a soft sponge and a brush like this one..http://www.autogeek.net/mother....htmlI also use a brush with nylon bristles that was meant for outdoor grills. It is very soft, and has an angle which allows you to get into tight spacecs.Rinse wheel and rim.... Now inspect for tar, brake dust build up, etc.I use Stoner's Tarminator Bug and Tar remover quite often on my rims. Just follow the instructions. It tends to be milder than most products. I use an old t-shirt to rub in the product.Next I would try a clay-bar. It sometimes works and not too agressive.I have also used several Eagle One products which tend to be more agressive and can etch your rims if not used properly, but will also remove anything I have run across. I use it on very neglected rims -- two years of no cleaning -- and it worked quite well. Very caustic stuff though. Do not use inside your garage. It will stain your concrete and fudge up your lungs.I hate to say it, but I have also used gasoline, mineral spirits, and acetone on tar spots. I do not recommend these.Regardless, once clean you amy want to invest in some polish for your rims. Once applied, it does help in future removals of tough road grime.I rarely use any of those general purpose rim cleaners. Spray, wait, rinse since I usually have to go back to a sponge regardless.Hope this helps
jake75

Re: (jammies)

Post by jake75 »

That's not what I thought this was about.Bit I guess that would have been in "off Topic".
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
09vGT

Re: (jammies)

Post by 09vGT »

Thanks Jammies and J_TO_ENVY! Well.. I'll be ATTEMPTING later today..
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »Thanks Jammies and J_TO_ENVY! Well.. I'll be ATTEMPTING later today.. You're welcome!Waiting to hear how it went...
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage