Feel free to add on and vote
mitro

Re: Best Car Wax (yank dini)

Post by mitro »

Can we get Zaino in there?
Vibe Rater

Re: Best Car Wax (silverawd26)

Post by Vibe Rater »

Which is better? an 8" or 10" electric buffer?
CaCathy13

Re: Best Car Wax (silverawd26)

Post by CaCathy13 »

I don't like buffing...especially for putting wax on the car. You always end up using a lot more wax and it doesn't cover evenly (maybe I'm just weird and can't use a buffer) AT least with putting it on by hand, I can control the amount, the stokes, everything....and it'll be even. And for taking it off, I would use hand because you can switch the towel, move it around, etc. I think I would only use a buffer to do just that-buff the car with the sheepskin pad. Pity...i got a buffer sitting at home used once on my Hyundai that will probably never see the light of day again.
CathyWhen this baby hits 6.000rpm's, you're gonna see some serious sh*t-Got Lift?'03 Neptune Vibe GT: SLP Hood, AEM CAI, Thermal R&D exhaust, Unorthodox underdrive pullies, K&N filter, G-Racing 17' Mito's, TEIN Springs, yellow calipers, GrafxWerks, Silverstar's, XM, Infinity basslink-more mods to come!http://www.mitro.net/vibe
d_m_kolb

Re: Best Car Wax (CaCathy13)

Post by d_m_kolb »

5 Star Shine is pretty good stuff. It lasts 5 years.
Flip-Side

Re: Best Car Wax (Admin II)

Post by Flip-Side »

I've heard about 5 Star Shine before. I think I heard that the U.S. Navy uses it to prevent corrosion on certain stuff on their ships. Does it really last that long though? I was looking to get it before, but it cost so much I chickened out.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Vibe Rater

Re: Best Car Wax (Flip-Side)

Post by Vibe Rater »

LOL. Look up! There was a Link in Admin 2's post above yours.
Stang2Vibe

Re: Best Car Wax (Vibe Rater)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Lasting 5 years on a car that is exposed to the sun and elements every day? I somehow doubt this very much. Once a month treatments with Mother's pure carnuba has always done me just fine.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Flip-Side

Re: Best Car Wax (Vibe Rater)

Post by Flip-Side »

quote:LOL. Look up! There was a Link in Admin 2's post above yours.Oops. Thought mine was a different one than his. Just did a google search and posted the link for the navy thing. I am sure it makes you feel warm and cozzy that your Air-Force aircraft maintainers are as scatter-brained as me. Whats Zymol? I know its a polish like Nu Finish, but whats the difference?
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Best Car Wax (Flip-Side)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

I tried Meguar's few weeks ago. Did a very good job.Much better then crappy Turtle Wax or NuFinish.
jgvibe

Post by jgvibe »

I just picked up and tried Prestone's new "High protection WAX". It's some kind of sybthetic Carnuba. I got to tell ya it put on a real nice shine. Buffs off real easy by hand with a terry cloth towel. I used Zymol up to now but it does not have a reputation for lasting. Presotne does.
2003 AWD Vibe, SatiliteMoon and tunespower packageMonotone package6 CD disk, Baselink Sub
msmyer

Re: Best Car Wax (jgvibe)

Post by msmyer »

One word....
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
Stang2Vibe

Re: Best Car Wax (jgvibe)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by jgvibe »I used Zymol up to now but it does not have a reputation for lasting.I've used Zymol car wash before and it was excellent, possibly the best I've ever used. But it was too expensive to be practical. I wash and wax the car regularly and don't really need the best of the best for a car wash soap. As for the wax not lasting long, my stepdad would agree with you. He used it for a while on his show Fiero and even the daily driver and liked it, but complained that, especially for the price, it didn't last long.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
ArcsVibe

Re: Best Car Wax (Stang2Vibe)

Post by ArcsVibe »

I have always used Mothers Gold and love it! Reasonably priced and great results everytime I use it. Then again, I worked in a car wash while going to college and picked up a few tricks here and there
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

Stang2Vibe

Re: Best Car Wax (ArcsVibe)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

This is what I have been using for about the past 2 years also. Nice results every time.
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Damn straight Stang!Here is a picture of my Vibe after a wax

Attached files
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

Altus

Re: Best Car Wax (ArcsVibe)

Post by Altus »

Quick question -- which 'version' of the Meguiar's are we talking about here?When I had a look, there were 3 differect products from them....Meguiar's Deep Crystal System - steps 1, 2, and 3 (each a different bottle)Meguiar's Cleaner Wax - a one bottle productand Meguiar's Gold Liquid Wax - also a one bottle.
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
ragingfish

Re: Best Car Wax (Altus)

Post by ragingfish »

Personally, here's what I've used:Step 1: Clay Bar Step 2: Sealer / Glaze Step 3: Wax I only crossed brands because I bought the products at different times, and forgot which brands I had used. I say stick with Mothers, I've been VERY satisfied with the other products I used from them!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Charlievibe

Post by Charlievibe »

Sorry to be such a chick about this, but what makes one wax better than another one? I have always used Turtle Wax and have never had any problems. Please clue me in...thanks.
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
ragingfish

Re: Best Car Wax (Charlievibe)

Post by ragingfish »

I know you asked yank, but I thought I'd throw my opinion out there anyway...Personall, I look at several things. I look at ease of application, durability of finish, gloss/shine/lustre, and longevity (how long apperance and durability last before beginning to deteriorate). I try to find a brand that has a good balance of all those factors. I found Mothers to give a slightly better shine, and seems to last pretty long...I'm also a person who finds something I like, and I stick with it.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Charlievibe

Re: Best Car Wax (ragingfish)

Post by Charlievibe »

raging, this is great, thanks.
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

I completely agree with raging on this one.
ALi3N

Post by ALi3N »

I have never used anything but Meguiar's Gold Class on my cars. I started with my first car, an '89 Camaro Z and the finish was not so great on it. After waxing it looked new and the finish lasted 2 months or so on old, beaten paint. My only complaint is that it is hard to buff out.And where can a guy go to get a clay bar, i have heard of them but never found one.
ALi3N aka Dj ViP3RThere is a force through the euphoric beat causing uncontrolablemovement of your body, I am that force. Take a journey beyond the limits of your mind.'Download Mixes:http://shlrm.org/DjViP3R/http://www.myspace.com/djvip3r Latest Mixes: 'Nightlife' & 'M0Ti0N -X-'Pimpin' Abyss Vibe GT w/ Nav
Flip-Side

Re: Best Car Wax (ALi3N)

Post by Flip-Side »

Quote, originally posted by ALi3N »I have never used anything but Meguiar's Gold Class on my cars.I use to use nothing but Nu-Finish. It was easy to use, lasted a long time, but didnt shine as good as my Eagle-1 Wet does. But Eagle-1 doesn't last long at all. Waxed it 1 month ago and washed my car mabey 6 times. It is already wearing off, but the shine with the stuff is so nice after the second coat.
NY Pete

Post by NY Pete »

ZAINO baby! For a dark colored car, there's nothing better. I use it on my white car too, still love it. Just re-ordered my Zaino stuff the other day, gotta get ready for the summer!Pete
'02 Jetta 1.8T Silver Arrow/Black Leathuh - Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, 17" VW Exor wheels, euro Bora tails, Neuspeed Sofsport Springs, Bilstein HD's, Da'lan hitch'03 20thAE GTI #3494 Imola Yellow/Black Recaros - Omori/AWE boost gauge, HPA Motorsports Short shifter, Neuspeed 28mm rear sway, REVO programming, Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, FK Badgeless grille, Kamei eyelids and one big fat grin
Stang2Vibe

Re: Best Car Wax (ALi3N)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by ALi3N »And where can a guy go to get a clay bar, i have heard of them but never found one.Most any national parts store/auto supermarket should have them. I got mine at Pep Boys. I've also seen them in Wal-Mart.
yank dini

Post by yank dini »

Zig in East Orleans

Post by Zig in East Orleans »

Hmm K, i was at Canadian Tire yesterday and picked up Meguiar's ColorX wax not really taking time to hmm and haaa about all the other flavours. Now I haven't used it yet on my 3 week old Fusion (or Sunburst Orange) but wonder if anyone has any input before i do crak open the bottle. Did i buy the wrong wax? Should i use the Gold?http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/colorx.cfmthx for the input
Base '04 m/tone 5 spd Fusion Orange Wish:gimme a diesel version, I want to run B100!! Yokohama A008 (do they still make these?) Caught myself doing 140 km again, I think i have a speed problem.Time to go karting!http://www.topkarting.com/hull/action_g_p.php
Stang2Vibe

Re: Best Car Wax (Zig in East Orleans)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Seems that the product you picked up is more for an older, weathered finish. Something with more oxidation than what is on your car. I'd also bet that is has a very fine grit in it to accomplish some of the things that it claims to do. It is more of a restorative polish and a liquid wax all in one product. While this would be a good product to use to remove swirl marks and fine scratches in the surface, I wouldn't use it for my regular wax product.I still recommend a three step system to be used twice per year with a monthly or bi-monthly waxing with a regular, non-cleaner wax for maximum protection and the best looks for a daily driver car.
bus driver

Post by bus driver »

I use New Finish on mine one a month, Easy on easy off........That's how I like it .......Easy,I guess it comes to how much you luv your baby, I treat her well and the other products I still have to be impressed Tried Turtle Wax and dam near broke my arms trying to wipe off
Stang2Vibe

Re: Best Car Wax (bus driver)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Yes, Turtle Wax is notoriously hard to rub off. And you are also correct in noting that the amount of effort that is put into caring for the car will be reflected in how it looks.
Jerrod (Knellblast)

Post by Jerrod (Knellblast) »

Crap. I just bought a tub of the new Turtle Wax Cleaner Wax today. I hope it's a little easier to apply than the regular carnuba wax. I'll find out early tomorrow, though.
'04 base model, abyss, manual.Mods: Removed roof racks & Vibe badging; added reflective black overlays to front & steering wheel Pontiac stars; shorty antenna; Tein S-tech springs; 18x8" Mille Miglia EV-S wheels; black calipers; 17% tint all around; Mr. Grille billet grille; Silverstar headlights, foglights, & turn signals; custom "fatigue mat" mats in cargo area; & tinted license plate cover.
POLO

Post by POLO »

Guy's i'm all confused,in this link http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.htmlThey test 5 wax prodect,and one of the cheap won over megueir cold...Tomorrow i will buy a wax to wax my first time,like i see Meguiar's is the best,but cost 20$And this link one of the cheapest cost wax win.
vibe_raider

Post by vibe_raider »

ragingfish, i must agree ... claybars own!! they will make your car bling like no other!
My other ride is a ...
Mr. Poopypants

Re: Best Car Wax (vibe_raider)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Unless you buff your car, that actually looks better than after using a clay bar. (if you do it right)
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
fancynewwheels

Post by fancynewwheels »

I bought some new stuff from turtle wax. I forget the exact name, but something liek "premium". Suspossed to be a mix of high shine and durability. It was easy as cake for putting on and rubbing off. I broke my buffer a few months ago and did it by hand this time. Was pretty happy with the results. Thats my $0.02Anybody used that Eagle 1 polish for black paint to help hide swirl marks?
2004 VibeAbyssNon-MonotoneK&N Typhoon Short RamA/C, Power Package5 Speed
ychartra

Post by ychartra »

I use Autoglym (www.autoglym.com) recommended to me by a car collector. He also suggested to only wax 1-2x per year. Apply and buff by hand. Do small sections at a time. The detail shop at the dealer also told me that they usually tape up cars with painters tape before waxing. This prevents problems with having wax residue on plastic parts, door handles and around decals.
Stang2Vibe

Re: (ychartra)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Seems like the regimen for cars that are seldom driven and are taken care of in tip-top shape. For the average person's daily driver, waxing needs to be more frequent than once or twice per year.Taping up the car as you mentioned is a good idea, but is time consuming. I do bodywork in the wintertime on our fleet of vehicles where I work, so I can say from personal experience that to tape things up carefully takes a good bit of time.
sloth

Post by sloth »

Just waxed my vibe with Mequiar's Gold Class last night. Wow, that is a good wax. Looks very sharp.
Zig in East Orleans

Re: (sloth)

Post by Zig in East Orleans »

k so, was about to send a new post but this thread is heading there. what is the danger (or is there) in waxing the plastic, by lord, there's so much of it anyway. I just waxed my fusion orange and it's SWEET.a lot of work but well worth the effort. methinks i'll be doing this 4-5 times a summer!
Base '04 m/tone 5 spd Fusion Orange Wish:gimme a diesel version, I want to run B100!! Yokohama A008 (do they still make these?) Caught myself doing 140 km again, I think i have a speed problem.Time to go karting!http://www.topkarting.com/hull/action_g_p.php
04shadowvibe

Post by 04shadowvibe »

I use Meguiars, mainly Gold Class or the new TECH WAX is very nice. Easy to apply and remove. Also with each wax I prep the finish with a claybar, just seems to come out better that way.
2006 Vibe AWD, Platinum/Graphite, Sun and Sound Package - Sisters
2007 Vibe FWD, Neptune/Graphite, Base
PAST - 04 Shadow Base, Moons and Tunes, Monotone, Traded at 23K for the 06 AWD.
Fialchar

Re: Best Car Wax (04shadowvibe)

Post by Fialchar »

Just make sure you get all of the wax off of the plastic. I think it's harder to remove it from the cladding, and it looks horribl if there's white marks left all over it.I just got some new Blue Coral car soap, and some Eagle One wax, so maybe today or tommorrow I'll be able to post some pics of my freshly washed and waxed Saab 9-3 Turbo
ColonelPanic

Re: Best Car Wax

Post by ColonelPanic »

Started using the Turtle Wax "Platnium Series Ultra Gloss" stuff (like was mentioned earlier in the thread) this summer. It leaves a very good, even shine. And application as well as removal is pretty darn easy.After every other wash or so, I'll use the spray detailer from the same Turtle Wax series. That's pretty good stuff too, imho. Previously, I haven't been a Turtle Wax user, always stuck with the likes of Mirror Glaze or other Meguiar's products. But this stuff is pretty good for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Stang2Vibe

Re: (Zig in East Orleans)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by Zig in East Orleans »k so, was about to send a new post but this thread is heading there. what is the danger (or is there) in waxing the plastic, by lord, there's so much of it anyway.No harm in waxing the plastic body panels, unless they are not the monotone ones. The non-monotone panels have proven to be nearly impossible to remove wax from (you can ask ragingfish). The only problem with waxing the plastic panels is that they are painted differently than the rest of the body so the body color may rub off a bit when you are removing wax products from them. Other than that, there are no problems.
VibeGT_2003

Post by VibeGT_2003 »

Tech wax is the only way to go! Unless you have some leftover gold class.
kcinmi

Post by kcinmi »

Has anyone tried that new Eagle One Nano Wax?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
fjf511

Re: (kcinmi)

Post by fjf511 »

Since it was great weekend in the Burgh I was able to do a major cleaning of my Vibe. Just before winter I had waxed it with Zymol. It has not held up to the winter weather test. I had been a Mother's or Mequiars user in the past and I will be going back to them.
04 ABYSS AWDM & TPOWER PACKAGEWINDOW TINT
Flip-Side

Re: (VibeGT_2003)

Post by Flip-Side »

Just did the whole vibe with Tech Wax this weekend, and its pretty darn good stuff. Of course it is twice the price of normal wax/polish so I honestly don't know if it is worth the cash. All I know is my car has never had such a shine, even with my pitted paint. Whats even better is this stuff goes on clear and not white, which made it painless to clean off the plastic and windows I touched here and there. Easy on...easy off, but make sure you wait longer to wipe off than normal. Some places were not dried before I tried to buff them off.
DavidPIL

Re: (Flip-Side)

Post by DavidPIL »

Hey Flip-Side...I'm headin down to Myrtle Beach on the 2nd. Hope it's not raining cuz I want to wax my Vibe up real nice down there. I've seen the Tech Wax stuff and think I'll try it. I've done the 3 step process with Mequiar's before, I just don't think I need to do all that yet. Maybe mid-Summer... Hope this stuff works as well for me.Dave
Flip-Side

Re: (DavidPIL)

Post by Flip-Side »

Good deal bro. I'm not saying Tech wax is the absolute best, because I have not seen a side by side comparison. I do know that my favorite Eagle One Wet wax was not as shiny. I wanted to try the new Nano Wax by Eagle One, because I always used their products, but Pep boys had Tech Wax and not Nano. So far I am very pleased. It just rained today and the vibe looked sexier than ever.