Sand!

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
09vGT

Sand!

Post by 09vGT »

Any of you in states with beaches know how to remove it?.. Well.. I can vacuum it up.. but is there a trick to make it come out EASIER?.. Due to a recent trip to the river.. and a car full of people, the inside of my car looks like the beach.. It just always take me forever to get it out.. It seems to not want to let go!
zionzr2

Re: Sand! (09vGT)

Post by zionzr2 »

First trick is to not let it get in the first place.A good strong shop vac will usually do a good job
vibenvy

Re: Sand! (zionzr2)

Post by vibenvy »

Maybe try a stiff bristled brush to help loosen up the sand before vacuuming it up.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
djkeev

Re: Sand! (09vGT)

Post by djkeev »

I agree about keeping it out in the first place.Get yourself a large stiff bristle paint brush and keep it in the car. Inform your guests that IF they want a ride home they WILL use this brush and brush the sand off of them and their clothes BEFORE they set foot inside. Get two, they can brush each other off in the spots that can't be reached easily by oneself.Another method would be to go back to the river and RINSE OFF!!!! A mandatory dunk if you will to get it off their body and out of the hair. A change of clothing and the only sand would be on the feet, brush it off!!!If they balk at this, well, it's a long walk home pal!!Just vacuum the sand out, it gets down into the base of the carpet and in the large flat center area a beater bar would help but along the edges you just can't do that so work at it with a nozzle. Next time, prevention rather than emergency clean up.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Yeah, I meant to flip the mats over the night before.. But remembered after we were leaving the river.. Thanks all!
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

My Kirby vacuum ( with the attatchments ) has always worked for me. Im in South Florida & have been to the beach quite a few times lol.I will admit it takes a little longer to cleanup after a trip from the beach. Sand just gets everywhere!
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I vacuumed today at the local car wash.. took forever.. and around $5.. Still not all gone.. But brought the mats inside and vacuumed with the house vacuum.. That worked real well..
vibenvy

Re: (09vGT)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »I vacuumed today at the local car wash.. took forever.. and around $5.. Still not all gone.. But brought the mats inside and vacuumed with the house vacuum.. That worked real well..This is where rubber floor mats (of any kind) would really come in handy. The ridges in them would collect the majority of the sand and they could be easily removed and hosed off in a matter of minutes. I will never use carpeted floor mats in a car again. As a matter of fact, both mine and my mom's carpeted floor mats are sitting in the box our GM all weather mats came in. They are brand spanking new and will never be used. It is so much easier to be able to just pull them out, spray them off and put them back in. There is hardly ever anything on the carpet itself to be vacuumed. It all stays on the floor mats. Definitely an investment you may want to consider (not necessarily the GM ones, any ones will do just fine).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
star_deceiver

Re: (09vGT)

Post by star_deceiver »

Sand's a pain... but the household vacuum is the best (cheapest) solution... aside from beating your passengers who refuse to remove sand from their feet!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)