What do you use on your outside trim to preserve it?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
forlornb4

What do you use on your outside trim to preserve it?

Post by forlornb4 »

My vibe is salsa with the grey trim around the bottom of the car. Sorry but I don't know what that trim is called so I found it hard to search for this answer. My trim was looking streaked and dry so I stopped into a car dealership and asked their detailing person what he recommended on the trim. He first said ArmorAll, but I mentioned that I didn't want something sticky since I have to drive on a mile long dirt driveway. He gave me some of his "special mix" and said use this it won't be sticky. Well I did and now my salsa car has TAN dirt trim. Any ideas on a better product that will preserve the plastic but not cause dust to stick?
03 Salsa GT FWD 6sp 17" alloys
victorhasheart

Re: What do you use on your outside trim to preserve it? (forlornb4)

Post by victorhasheart »

I had the same problem. My friend introduced my to this product he used on his truck plastic clad. It not only protects it, but also brings out the refinish color of the clad.http://www.wickedproducts.com/....htmlIts the Great White Protectant I live really close to the factory, so I was able to drive and pick up a gallon of it, but I think you can order it online. They have it in a spray bottle available online. PLUS it smells like bananas!
03' VibeGT. Rear Tinted Windows, Low-Pro Amplified Subwoofer (passenger seat), Drop in K&N Filter, Yellow Fog Light Bulbs, +MORE COMING SOON
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

I use this stuff called refinish restorer. Works great and lasts about 6 months.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

6 months? How does it last after a heavy rain? That product is next on my list. Had to do some scheduled maintenance, so protecting the cladding took a back seat lol.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
bassplayaz06

Re: What do you use on your outside trim to preserve it? (forlornb4)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

Mothers Back To Black. find it at walmart, advance auto, auto zone, where ever. i talked to the guy at the chevy dealership here and he uses it once ever 6 months on his corvette. i've used it for about a year and it does the job. just dont use too much soap when washing it cause it makes it go away. it's basically silicone in a bottle that you rub into the plastic.another thing you could do that's fast is spray tire shine on it. instant darkening.bug and tar cleaner kills the plastic, so never use that crap on it. i learned this from experience.just a small cloth and the back to black and some time. once you do the whole trim once, go back and put a second coat. that's what makes it last 6 months.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Great job! Its amazing how good the Vibe looks after cladding treatment....on the other hand its amazing how terrible it looks faded. It realy makes or breaks the look of the car. I recently did my annual wash/claybar/wax job & it didnt look REALLY great until I threw some armour all on the cladding.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
goodvibesGT

Re: What do you use on your outside trim to preserve it?

Post by goodvibesGT »

It all comes back faded after time. I like Meguiar's ultimate protectant. It goes on easy with applicator and lasts a while. Good stuff.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I tried Mothers Back to Black and didn't care much for it. I use a product by Eale 1 that I've been happy with. It's a spray on gel. The exact name escapes me right now, but it should be easy enough to find in any auto parts store that has Eagle 1 products.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

KNINE wrote:I tried Mothers Back to Black and didn't care much for it. I use a product by Eale 1 that I've been happy with. It's a spray on gel. The exact name escapes me right now, but it should be easy enough to find in any auto parts store that has Eagle 1 products.
Is it this?

I use this
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

That's the stuff.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.