Cleaning off Bugs!

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
09vGT

Cleaning off Bugs!

Post by 09vGT »

Okay.. So.. I ran out of bug and tar remover and was searching the net for some home remedies to use for taking off bugs from the bumper, hood, and windshield. I came across somewhere that said "spray n wash" would take them off.. I tried it.. and WOW.. they pretty much ALL came off.. along with my bug remover sponge.. It actually worked better than my bug and tar remover!Anyone else heard of this? Do you think that the spray n wash could possibly hurt my cars paint?.. not that it could get much worse with all of the rock chips..
HarleyQuinn

Re: Cleaning off Bugs! (09vGT)

Post by HarleyQuinn »

I read on one of these forums dryer sheets with warm water, i was skeptical but i tried it and it was amazing they all came off.
09vGT

Re: Cleaning off Bugs! (HarleyQuinn)

Post by 09vGT »

I'll try that also.
Last edited by 09vGT on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1SC

Post by 1SC »

I usualy take a good APC (All Purpose Cleaner) and it works well. Just spray, let dweel for a few seconds and they'll came off using your wash mitt.But remember than anything that removes the bugs easily would also remove your wax.
vibenvy

Re: (1SC)

Post by vibenvy »

I just put a few drops of the soap I use to wash the Vibes (Mother's California Gold Car Wash) on my bug sponge and use some elbow grease. I usually end up going over the windshield and front bumper cover at least twice each. I'll scrub everything really good than rinse it off so I can see what I missed. I agree with 1SC though, different products and even scrubbing will take wax off so be careful. If you keep your Vibe waxed (at least the front bumper cover) it will really help make removing bugs a lot easier. If the bugs are really bad, a clay bar will work really well too, just be sure to wax after using it.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
HarleyQuinn

Re: Cleaning off Bugs! (09vGT)

Post by HarleyQuinn »

I still like the dryer sheets cuz no elbow grease to it but i do use it before washing the whole car
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

If only my car was waxed ! I've been planning on having it detailed.. so i'll have to wait.. I don't have all the supplies need to do it.. and probably not the patients..
star_deceiver

Re: (09vGT)

Post by star_deceiver »

Good tip!!! My Vibe's needing this done... In addition to the bugs fron the California road trip, I now have an extra layer of Albertan insects...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
CAMOGIRL

Re: Cleaning off Bugs!

Post by CAMOGIRL »

the dryer sheet trick works like a charm. The only thing is it leaves this residue that can be tricky to wash off. I saw that trick on here and it's been the saving grace of my commuting car :)
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Just be careful of potential damage over time when using products designed for cleaning clothing or dishes. Such items contain much harsher chemicals that can be too acidic and eat away at a clear coat leaving you with many problems down the road.

Bug&Tar removes are most of the time mixed with a wax based product and can be used on a dry car with a microfiber towel. I've heard of the other "remedies" before but would rather just take the 5 min. trip to Autozone for some BT Remover. I actually need another bottle because the new GLI loves to get buggy on the front.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I use some quick detailer from Meguiar's. I have to let it soak most of the time, but most of the time that's enough...unless I hit the "jelly bugs" in our area.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
GSlink86

Post by GSlink86 »

FW1 Wash and Wax spray works pretty well for bugs and such! Also a awesome quick detailer for entire car! Came across it at a carshow..